"Sound" amps? (Not Sound City)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lang.murphy, Sep 6, 2010.

1. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Supporting Member

There's an ad in local CL for a "Vintage Sound Tube Amp." 2 7868's, 3 12AX7's, 2 12AU7's. Anyway... lol, naming your amp "Sound" before the advent of the internet, or widespread use anyway, might've seemed like a good idea at the time. Googling "sound guitar amp" is not the best search phrase.

Guy does say he was told Sound amps were made by former Ampeg employees.

Anyway... right now, just curious... anyone have any info on Sound amps?

TIA,

Lang

2. teemuk

teemuk Member

If it's the "Sound" of Sound Electronics Corp. / Sound Musical Instruments then I think they were actually made in Italy and imported to US.

They did base their operatins to New York so it could be that there was a some sort of Ampeg connection too.

3. lang.murphy

Found this:

http://archive.ampage.org/threads/2/gagd/077024/Sound_Electronics_Corp-1.html

An Andy Fuchs comment from 2000!

Anyway, thanks, teemuk, for the "Sound Electronics Corp." lead... googling that found the above link.

4. Live Wire

Live Wire Member

I used to have one of these. It was a 1- 15" combo, prolly around 20 watts or so. Great reverb. I made the mistake of leaving it on while I was away on tour for 3 months, and came home to a cooked amp. Luckily I didn't burn the house down.

5. lang.murphy

Yep, this guy's amp has a 15" driver in it. A replacement Weber Michigan, but he has the original driver too.

Kind of interesting... not sure about the 7868 power tubes, though...