Sovtek and Red Bear amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ericjohnschwab, Oct 20, 2010.

1. ericjohnschwab

ericjohnschwab Senior Member

Remember these russian phenomenons? I had a Sovtek Mig 50 that I was an IDIOT for trading. Great plexi tone

2. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Just traded mine a little over a week ago here in the emporium. It certainly was a beast but way too loud for me.

3. JStizz

JStizz Member

i had a Mig 50, too. im not sure if im a big Plexi tone fan as ive never played a real one but i liked it.

downside... EXTREMELY problematic. i was always blowing power tubes and fuses, the capacitors went out, and even the power indicator light went out.

but damn that thing took pedals well. i kinda miss it.

4. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Silver Supporting Member

Mig 60 is a beast.

5. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

I just sold my Mig 60 yesterday....oops !

What a killer amp. :bow

6. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Silver Supporting Member

I'm on my second Mig 60, and I plan to keep it. A few mods and yowza - what a great amp, at moderate and loud volumes.

7. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Member

I have Mig 30 myself, amazing amp. :love: It's probably little bit less than a full 30 watts, and has some great natural compression. The matching cabinet isn't too shabby either, I really like the stock Eminence speakers in them.

I'm not the best at making amp tone comparisons, but I think it definitely has that Bassman/Plexi sound going on. I haven't had any problems with mine, knock on wood. I don't know how you guys sell yours, you can't give these things away for what their worth these days, haha.

I'd love to get my hands on a Mig 60 at some point, and probably a Mig 100. I could buy them without trying them, haha. I'd really love to see a quality site dedicated to Sovtek amps, or at least some good comparison sound clips. They are under appreciated amps for sure.

I've never played a Red Bear. I'm not sure how similar they really are to the Sovteks, and I've heard various conflicting things about them. Like they're like JCM800s but smoother, and also like JCM800s but harder, So no idea there!

8. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Mig 60 owner here. Marshall tone, but a little grainier. What mods are you talking about, primakurtz?

9. jgyn

jgyn Member

Have a Red Bear mk 120 that's alright. Kinda like a JCM 800 with more bass.

10. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost Member

I used to love my mig100h until I got an Ampeg v4 which just blew it out of the water. but once in a while I'll miss that mig sound. I found it sounded best with the master up at 8/9 and the gain at 2/3. plenty of break up and louder than most amps out today. sold it for a Traynor yba-1 a few months ago.

great heads. built solid. never had a problem and would recommend to anyone over any modern high gain head today.

11. Joe Porto

Joe Porto Member

I had a mig 50 in the early 90's. It was a piece of crap. Bought it as a backup to my JCM800. Was noisy as hell. Cheap plastic switches. Sounded mediocre. I actually lost it when our rehearsal building burned to the ground (along with an old 100 watt Plush). I guess they're vintage now?

12. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Also a 30 owner, clean for miles. Almost no distortion even cranked. A terrible rock amp, nothing remotely like a Plexi, unless you mean just a clean Plexi. It's supposed to be based on a Bassman, with a slight Marshally flavor on the second input. It's a touch darker. This makes a great PA amp, bass amp, jazz amp, and is perfect for pedals since it doesn't add any of it's own OD. It just warms and compresses a bit. A real collector's item these days.

13. b2sc

b2sc Member

14. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

I have an original plexi and had a mig 50. I don't think they were all that similar. It was a good amp. Nothing to sneeze at. I traded mine back then for a Bassman head

15. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Silver Supporting Member

These amps came with terrible plastic jacks & pots, which are pretty easily replaced. Crafty techs can do some other circuit tweaks; mine was modded by Lord Valve, and he won't really say exactly what he did. Properly biased good tubes make a big difference. If you check out the High gain Amp Shootout videos & clips, one of the winners was a Mig 60 modded by a guy in LA. Here's a gut shot of mine:
    [​IMG]

Pretty clean & simple!

16. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Member

I don't exact how to explain it, since I've never played a plexi or a bassman. That would be a cool shoot out though, a Mig 30 vs Fender Bassman vs Marshall JTM45. I think the Mig 30 is definitely inspired by the Bassman and has that sort of flavor.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  17. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Thats weird. Mine came with rocker switches, like a JCM800 but more narrow, and metal pots. Also, the jacks look kind of like cliff jacks. It's white face with chicken head knobs. It says Canduzo or something on the front in red letters. Made in Novosobirsk City! Alright!

18. Alvis

Alvis Supporting Member

My European backline .....:aok

[​IMG]

19. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Member

Do you notice any differences between the Mig 50 and the Model 001 Mig 50?

20. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Supporting Member

I used to have a Red Bear mk 60. It was just okay. Reliable, but definitely no Marshall. Sold it.