strange transistors in my fulltone 69

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by applescruffs, Aug 5, 2010.

1. applescruffs

applescruffs Member

I bought this off ebay and it arrived with these 2SB415 that are made by Toshiba??? What is up with that. I thought these were NKT275 powered fuzzes. Did someone hijack the NKT's and throw these toshiba's in?

The good news it sounds unbelievable. The bad news is I have no comparison to know if NKT is better. It might not be an issue but I would have like to have heard the pedal with the real transistors.

2. johann

johann Member

well...if it sounds good...leave it that way (that's what I'd do)

3. SRVBlue

SRVBlue Member

I have seen alot of 2sb/nkt '69s. Looks like he started mixing and matching them quite alot before they were discontinued. One thing I am glad I learned here is that the NKT275's in the '69 were made for him and not NOS. After alot of research and digging I am pretty sure I know where they came from.

4. dsl

dsl Member

Mine has 1 NKT-275 & 1 Toshiba 2SB415.

5. PhiloTone

PhiloTone Member

mine has 2 NKT-275's and black knobs

6. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

I think the NKT 275 transistors were the same as the dunlops. They are fake NKT transistors. I have no idea if they can sound good or bad or what the specs are on them.

7. applescruffs

applescruffs Member

OK so if I understand
    the Toshiba are legit
    the 69 was not tampered with
    and the Toshibas sound better than NKT's
    The london fuzz and analogman sunface use the Toshibas as well.

It does sound absolutely stunning. Huge, big, cleans up like magic. Just unreal.

Good news thanks for the information everyone

8. SRVBlue

SRVBlue Member

The toshiba's are definetely legit! About them sounding better than the NKT's, I couldn't say because I have never been lucky enough to play let alone A/B a real NKT Arbiter Fuzz with anything else. Someday... Someday... Good score on the '69!

9. Telepatio

Telepatio Member

The '69 I sold had one of each: 1 NKT and 1 Toshiba.

The Sunface I had, had NKT's.

I can't speak to the legitimacy of the NKT's in the '69's or the Sunface's for that matter.

That said, they were pretty different sounding pedals.

10. David Vee

David Vee Member

No wonder we TGP heads gets made fun of...

If I understand the OP... it sounds absolutely "unbelievable"... so then you check under the hood and are bummed by what you find?

I understand the fear that is was tampered with... but if it sounds as great as you say - why even question if it was tampered with?

I could care less what Mike Fuller used/uses/will use. If it works to my ears, I don't need to open the hood and start questioning what's there. Maybe he decided that NKT's don't get it done anymore... or maybe a "tamperer" did you a huge favor since the sound is superior.

That would be like saying you have a stock/mint Corvette that dusts everything it meets... then you open the hood and start complaining about the non-stock engine...

I could go on. My point is simple: if it ain't broke... don't fix it.

If it sounded wrong... then yes, question everything about the build.

Always let your ears decide if anything is wrong... not your eyes. The quest for tone comes from the ears, not the spec sheet.

Just my two cents... your mileage may vary.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

While I agree with all you wrote, I do understand the OP also.

I mean, if I wanted a Klon (I did, and I got one but that is beside the point) because of all I heard about it, etc. and I bought one that was sold as a Klon but I found out it wasn't one...but it sounded great, I'd still probably wonder if the "real" Klon sounded EVEN better...

It's why I didn't buy a clone.

But yeah...if it sounds great, it sounds great.

12. David Vee

David Vee Member

I too, understand the OP... but I asked myself, "why?"

That, my friend, is the never-ending quest for "perfect" tone. (whatever that is)

Do I need to start checking all of my pedals for clones/mods/abnormalities?

That was my point. (perhaps a little more tongue-in-cheek than it needed to be)

Apologies to the OP, if needed...

As always, your mileage may vary.

13. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

It could in theory, sound unbelievabler.

I have these trannys in one of my fuzzes and it sounds unbelievablest.

14. meterman

meterman Member

I had an early (1999) '69 fuzz with trannies both labeled NKT 275. My understanding at that point was that they were not NOS but Fuller was having them made for him by somebody. Honestly that fuzz never sounded great to me, kind of papery and raspy sounding, I connected with the London I that I've got now and with several other FF clones, more than I did with the '69. YMMV of course...

15. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Agreed, except...69's used to go for $110 used all day long when they were being made. Now you are paying more than twice that routinely. If I paid that kind of premium, and found out I didn't really have a stock Fulltone, I would be miffed. Even if it sounded good. Good sounding fuzzfaces are all over hell's half acre for MUCH less than the 69 cost. That premium price was paid to have a discontinued ORIGINAL Fulltone 69 that I could turn around and resell for the same money if I didn't like it. If it had been tampered with, you just paid $250 for, at most, a $100 pedal.

As for the trannies, they sound like the originals that Mike started using, I think because the NKT supply started to dry up. By all accounts they sound great. As noted the NKT's Fulltone used were not NOS. Analogman and Addrock, amoung others, use real NOS NKT's. You can always compare to those if concerned. But, no one should have just one fuzzface. You should have several and all of them with different trannies. They aren't better or worse, just different. Horses for courses.

16. applescruffs

applescruffs Member

And only on TGP would people criticize someone for double checking that they didn't get ripped. I mean seriously what if you bought a ferarri that looked great, drove great and you loved it. One day while getting your oil changed the jiffy lube guy says "hey by the way the whole engine was replaced by a ford mustang engine did you know that?"

Would you just say to yourself " well it drives great and I love the car so F it I am not going to worry about whats under the hood"

No you would be pissed.

My concern and reason for posting was verification, which I obtained.

Shame on someone for caring about the value of their money and value of their purchases.

17. David Vee

David Vee Member

Your point is well taken.

(Not the first time I opened my mouth... er, typed my words, without really thinking it thru... probably won't be the last.) :hide2

18. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

What people don't understand is that a Fuzz Face can be made to sound great with many different types of transistors. I have a 2SB176 and an AC128K in my modded Dunlop, and it sounds like a Fuzz Face is supposed to. There are no "magic" transistors. Just because AC128's and NKT275's were used in the originals doesn't mean they are the only transistors that will work fine in there. Pedal makers try to put those trannies in the pedals because people misguidedly think that's what has to be in them to have a good FF sound, but people are wrong. So don't worry that it doesn't have NKT 275's in it, worry about how it sounds.

Al

19. applescruffs

applescruffs Member

sounds like you missed the point of the thread.. no big deal. Your point is not disputed.

20. applescruffs

applescruffs Member

no biggie