Strymon TimeLine + DMC MIDI Controller Videos

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by crxshdxmmy, Aug 27, 2011.

1. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

What you've been waiting for. :)

For more information on the DMC lineup or Disaster Area Amps, check out http://disasterareaamps.com/wordpress

Disclosure: I represented Disaster Area Designs @ Summer NAMM 2013. Other than that, I, in no way whatsoever, neither directly or indirectly, benefit from their product sales.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. jjones

jjones Member

Awesome video explaining everything. If a loop is playing can you toggle back to bank selection, select another preset to play over top of the loop, all while the original loop is still playing?

3. crxshdxmmy

Yeah... you don't even be in the loop mode to use the looper controls on the DMC. Probably should've shown that. Maybe I'll do a more comprehensive video and show everything in action on-the-fly.

4. zwolf

zwolf Supporting Member

Awesome, thanks for putting that together. A couple of questions:

1) I couldn't tell from your video, but when you have a loop playing and you hit either half speed or reverse, does your loop start playing from the beginning (in either reverse or half speed) or does it immediately convert at the point in the loop you were at prior to engaging one of these functions? In other words, can you reverse/change speed in random spots without messing with the timing of the groove you've established?

2) also curious about what jjones asked above. From the conversations I've been having with Matt, I think unfortunately the answer is no...

3) Does the looper remain in the state you last left it? In other words if you are playing a loop, hit reverse, go back to the primary looper function mode, hit stop and THEN record a new loop, when you hit play, will the loop still be in reverse?

Thanks man!

Z

5. XISTH

XISTH Member

Great videos, Crxsh, really helpful.

Sorry, dumb question. Do Disaster Amps tweak the DMC3 specifically for Timeline use of does it work as per your videos straight off-the-peg?

Edit: just noticed DA website says you can request different firmware at checkout, so I guess you just specify that you want a DMC3 that will work with the TL?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  6. crxshdxmmy

1. I'll go check for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's instantaneous. As in, wherever you hit it, the half/double or reverse engages right then and there.

2. I'm confident that you can do exactly what jjones asked. While a loop is playing, you can toggle back to bank selection and select another preset. All while the original loop is still playing.

3. Yes. It remembers the state. In the looping video, around 1:30, I engage the half speed and then record the loop and double it. So, yes. It does.

Yeah Matt and I worked to hammer out the specific MIDI codes for the TimeLine. The DMC series was originally created as a controller platform for Line 6's M-series... but the TimeLine-specific firmware was something he mapped out in response to its release.

I'm sure he'd work out anything anything you needed him to. Super nice guy.

And to your edit... yes. The DMC-3 didn't even exist really, before I asked him for it. The DMC-2 I originally ordered had a 3-way toggle switch on it... but once I started playing it, realized I'd probably want something on a stomp switch — so I asked him and he accommodated by using the DMC-4 firmware in the DMC-2 format. Hopefully that makes sense.

7. XISTH

XISTH Member

Awesome, and thanks for instigating this development. I'm buying one!

8. crxshdxmmy

Here's another video... hopefully answers some of these questions.

9. thesooze

thesooze Supporting Member

This is intriguing to me. So you don't have to enter LOOP mode to actually record loops with the DMC3? i.e. You could be on Bank 00, A and just hit "record" on the DMC3 and it will start looping? This would (in my understanding) leave your screen on Bank 00, A, allowing you to move freely through patches with the TL controls (or the other DMC3 controls) and never enter/exit the LOOP screen.....?

If so, that's plain awesome.

EDIT: whoops, posting while you did the video above. VERY cool. Looping without entering LOOP mode. Other questions:

(1) While that loop is playing, can you hit "record" again on the DMC3 to overdub parts?
    (2) What that loop is playing, can you change patches on the TL controls? What about on the DMC3 (alternate mode).

10. zwolf

zwolf Supporting Member

It does. thanks again!!

11. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Silver Supporting Member

I find it really odd that you wanted the controller ABOVE your VP and so separated from your Timeline. I would want them to be closer together or at least I would want the Timeline on the top tier and the controller below the VP. :dunno

12. jjones

jjones Member

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this insight. I'm definitely ordering a DMC3.

13. crxshdxmmy

Yes. And yes... so long as you're not in the loop mode on the TL, because you have to select patch A or B. Hope that makes sense.

14. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

Great! I also ordered a DMC3 yesterday but with a different spec than you. I'll post more details later once it's done and ironed out with Matt (great guy, btw)

15. thesooze

Ahhhh gotcha. Cuz the DMC3 doesn't select patches, it only decreases or increases the bank you're on.

What a cool companion pedal to the TL. Might replace my MIDI Mouse. Does it take a battery or only DC power?

Also, would you mind posting dimensions? Thanks crxsh

16. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Observations:

- vs. midi mouse, you need to press two switches
    - but you don't have to memorize locations of patches on two boxes (TL and MM)
    Interesting choice

- I see no benefit to having loop contol if it is redunant to what is right in front of you. You could put the TL in a rack or remote, but then you can't change patches only banks.

- no need to enter loop mode. That's good. If I used loop mode, but so far my drummer rushes ahead of every loop!

So far, the MM is seeming better to me...?

Still, an interesting option. Thanks for your good work.

What do the run?

17. thesooze

I could actually see myself using the looper mode more if I didn't have to enter/play/exit/select another patch/enter/play... This is just hitting record on my sound, going to the next one, hitting record again. Much more convenient / use friendly / practical.

It is nice, however, that the Midi Mouse activates the patch as it selects it. One less click going from 00B to 01A, for instance. This is great for how I use it in a setlist-- just scrolling through my songs from start to finish. 1-8 or whatever.

I wouldn't use the reverse/half speed much... I wonder if he could make the three modes:

(blue) Bank +/-
    (red) Patch +/- (like the MM, instantly engaging the patch)
    (green) Looper record/play/stop

18. crxshdxmmy

Right. Only bank switching... not patch selection. And this one runs off my PP2+, but he might be able to make it run off of a battery. Not sure.

I think it's the same size as a Hammond 1590B. It came from Mammoth Electronics and that says 4.39” x 2.34” x 1.06”.

I set up my patches to be used in tandem — so changing banks quickly (and w/out the 2-button press) is much more important than just switching patches.

And a big plus, in my case, was its smaller size. I only had so much room to spare on my board... and the DMC-2/3 was significantly more board-friendly than the MM.

And regarding the loop control — I think not having to enter the loop mode, but still having all the controls available, is invaluable. Plus, you can't access reverse or half/double speed on the unit. Or with the MIDI Mouse.

At $130 for a custom product, the DMC was a no-brainer for me.

He can definitely do that.

19. thesooze

Uhh yeeahhhhh, I'll definitely be contacting him. Thanks again :beer

20. mrbesty

mrbesty Member

Loving this! I'd never considered a MIDI controller due to what I'd have to spend to get something that does what I want. But then have a whole heap of features I won't use. This custom programmed controller idea is freakin' sweet!!!

Have contacted him and will order a DMC-4 (I want a dedicated stop button) ASAP! Well done Matt and crxsh!!