Strymon TimeLine + DMC MIDI Controller Videos

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by crxshdxmmy, Aug 27, 2011.

1. ajoel32

ajoel32 Member

Gotta say, that's pretty sweet. I'm definitely picking this up when I get the coin. Thanks Matt and Crxsh!

2. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

Sweet!

3. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Silver Supporting Member

I've linked to the most recent video on my blog.

EDIT: The new pedals will have the center footswitch closer to the centerline of the pedal.

I'll have some pics posted on the site tomorrow once I get back to the shop.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  4. khenson

khenson Member

So I was about to order one today...does that mean I'll be getting the original design? I'd prefer the 'two switches on bottom' version, but don't want to run into the connector issues you referenced.

What kind of issues are we talking about?

5. DisasterArea

EDIT: No real issues - the box is full and I'll have to move the center switch down closer to the middle of the pedal. The good news is that now there's more room for the nameplate :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  6. khenson

khenson Member

Gotcha. So, with my setup, it would help to have the connectors coming out of the bottom of the pedal. But, I'd still like to have it in the /\ setup. With the graduated switches, it doesn't seem like it would be reversible...is it possible to order one with the taller switch on the mode change and the shorter switches on the bank changers?

7. Top_Cat

Top_Cat Member

So I've spent all weekend going through all of the TL's presets and have narrowed it down to about 20 I really dig/will find useful in my bands right now. I reckon I'll be in with a good chance of narrowing it down further when I come back to it.

Any chance of a DMC-8/10? :D

(not kidding)

8. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Moving the switch crowds 'em and makes it harder for my foot.

9. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance Silver Supporting Member

i agree! im trying to find something with about 7-10 presets just to access the presets only, dont need looping control etc. and if it fit the extra up/down switches, and maybe even an extra switch for tap tempo control, i could dig it!

10. DisasterArea

False alarm on the switch change. We're now using the chassis mount MIDI connectors and this frees space for the center switch.

The switches are all 5/8" from the pedal edge. This is as close as they can get without fouling the switch body inside the pedal.

[​IMG]

The real problem with this is that the box gets OMGHUEG enormous. The DMC-6 is about the biggest thing I can get commercially that's thin enough to stomp. The alternative would be a bypass strip type arrangement, which is possible but I don't have a ready source for those enclosures.

The DMC board has fourteen inputs, not counting the three on the programming header. If you don't need LEDs, then we can use all of them for footswitches. I built a custom controller for one guy that interfaced SIX EV-5 expression pedals into his MIDI setup for controlling loop volumes with Ableton, so weird stuff is not new to me :)

I can do it, but I don't have the boxes on hand. If you have a box you'd like to use, let me know and I can look into it.

If you get the DMC-6 with the RGB option, you can have 15 presets available with no more than 3 stomps (mode, mode, preset) at any time. Something to think about...

11. Top_Cat

Top_Cat Member

Bingo, sounds pretty good but am I reading it correctly on the that it'd be $15 extra per RGB LED?

12. DisasterArea

Actually, it's $15 extra for one RGB LED, and that's all I can stick in there with the current hardware.

Pressing the button corresponding to the RGB LED cycles it through red, green, blue, and all of the other buttons on the controller change functions. Each color mode has a set of functions, so in red mode you would access (say) five presets, and then in blue mode you'd get five more, green mode five more, etc. In this way, you get 15 different functions from a six-button controller.

13. khenson

khenson Member

So if I'm understanding this correctly, all connectors will be on the side of the pedal with 2 switches, and the pedal will be meant to be used like this /\ because the mode changing switch will be the taller one.

Is that right?

14. DisasterArea

No, sorry, I'm not explaining right - the current batch will go out with the connectors on the side with the 1 switch, and it will be used like /\. I found a different MIDI connector to use so that now there are no problems. The picture posted shows the face of the pedal and the adjacent side with the connectors.

15. khenson

khenson Member

Oh, I see. Guess it's time to place my order then! One other question: do you sell midi cables as well? Or have a suggestion of a place that does different lengths, right angles, etc?

16. Top_Cat

Top_Cat Member

Stupid question; how would you bypass? The way I assume it would work would be, say, if I clicked it into 'blue' mode and button 3 was on, just clicking button 3 would turn off the effect?

Also, what's the ballpark turn-around time on one of these if I wanted it painted too?

17. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

There is no 'bypass' on the DMC controllers, really. You can turn looper features off and on via MIDI, but that's it.

Also, Mammoth was pretty quick about turning my box around. IIRC, he had it within 2-3 days of ordering it.

18. Top_Cat

Top_Cat Member

I'm not too particular, I just want the ability to tell the thing to turn the thing off when I want it to so if it does that, all good. :)

Reckon I'll go with the RBG LED 15 presets option as mentioned by Matt earlier. Still seeing if I can swing it to buy a DMC-6 this pay, if not next for sure! Seems wanky having a switching system for the one pedal, though. haha

19. DisasterArea

Yes, press button 3 to switch from the current preset to the button 3 preset, and then press button 3 to bypass the button 3 preset. If you were on the button 3 preset and pressed button 4, the Timeline would switch to the button 4 preset, etc.

Basically, the pedal knows whether the preset we are currently on is an "A" or "B" in the current bank, and if you press the button again the pedal will send the correct footswitch signal to the Timeline to bypass the current preset.

I usually program the presets to be 00 though the highest available switch number in order. For a DMC-6 with the RGB option and 3 sets of 5 presets, I'd send programs 00 through 15, which correspond to Bank 00A through 7A. I can make these any number you like, but it's easier to rearrange the presets on the TL than it is to change the program numbers on the DMC.

Painted boxes have been taking 3-4 days to get here when I order, so by the time your build slot comes around I already have the box in-house. It doesn't add any time to the build right now. If / when I ever get caught up it might end up adding a few days to build time but nothing serious.

20. DisasterArea

Finishing up a batch today, these will be in testing to ship this week. I took pix of some of the fancier ones - these will get posted on my new Gallery page.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got some more fancy ones in the next group including Granny Smith Sparkle and one in Powder Blue. ;)