Strymon TimeLine + DMC MIDI Controller Videos

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by crxshdxmmy, Aug 27, 2011.

1. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Finally got my board ordered. Can't wait to get it!

2. shizzaq

shizzaq Member

Any updates on the dmc3xl?

3. Joeldipert

Joeldipert Member

Is there any way the middle button on the dmc-3 can be held down to access a favorite, such as 00-A? That would be really cool.

4. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Silver Supporting Member

Not until after New Year's. I'm super busy getting boxes built right now, getting the December orders out. All of the November (and older) orders have shipped except one with custom firmware, and we're currently sitting at a 3-week backlog. After the 3rd, we'll have some announcements to make on the site.

Sure, and that's actually a nice feature to have. Since bypass on the Timeline is somewhat complicated, setting 00A or some other patch up as 0% mix is an easy way to get a pseudo-bypass. It works just as well as a favorite, but unlike the Strymon Favorite switch it won't go back to where you were before. The DMC doesn't have any way to know what patch the Timeline is currently using, so the true Favorite function that the Timeline has isn't available using the DMC.

I'll look into adding the "hold for 00A" on the center switch.

5. sab2208

sab2208 Supporting Member

Hey Matt,

By any chance is the November order that hasn't shipped yet my DMC-6 with the custom firmware of 2 modes? I think the box I ordered was cream or vanilla. If so, what's the status of the order? I'm redoing my board during winter break and would love to have it in hand to do so.

6. DisasterArea

Yes, it is! Sorry about the delay, but I ran into some issues with the 6-button pedals with the RGB option. The fix is to use some different pins on the PCB, and the new boards are scheduled in on the 28th. Once the boards come in, I should be able to ship on the 29th with no problems - the boxes I have in the shop are built and just waiting on the modifications.

The issue is that I'm using some pins for the LEDs on the RGB pedals that are causing crosstalk on the expression pedal input. If an expression pedal is connected then nothing happens, but if the blue or green LED comes on with no expression pedal attached the pedal sends out values due to this crosstalk.

There may be a couple of pedals with these issues out in the field but right now I think it's limited to DMC-6 and DMC-6 RGB with expression pedal inputs. It probably won't show up on pedals with normal Strymon firmware since the expression pedal isn't programmed to do anything, but when / if I implement firmware that uses the expression pedal it will be an issue. The fix is a new board and ribbon cable for attaching the RGB LED to the main DMC board. If your DMC-6 has its RGB LED attached to the 6-pin header at the bottom of the board, you are OK. If it's connected to the screw terminals along with the other LEDs then you'll need the mod kit. It takes about 2 minutes to install and requires no soldering or tools other than a crosspoint screwdriver to open the pedal.

For now, all new pedals will ship with the kit installed, and it will be available to DMC-6 (and possibly DMC-4) customers upon request. DMC-3 users do not need the mod since there is no expression pedal to receive the crosstalk. You guys are all good to go.

I'll post a more detailed explanation on the blog, but that's the reason I still have a couple of DMC-6's in the shop that should have gone already. Everything in the shop that was purchased before Dec. 7th should ship out before the end of the year.

If anybody has questions about their order, position in the queue, features, etc. you can PM me here or use the Contact page on my site. BTW, crxshdxmmy doesn't work for me and any customer service inquiries ("when will my pedal ship?" or "how come Matt is suck a jerk?") should probably come to me :)

I'm taking off the holiday weekend and will be doing inventory and other shop-related stuff next week so will be mostly unavailable for emails and such. I'll do my best to keep everyone informed but I also want to spend some time with my loved ones as I'm sure you all do, too.

7. teleclem

teleclem Member

Just got mine. Thanks Matt! I'll hook it up later at night.

Love the Black Sparkle - much like my old Lunar Module.

[​IMG]

8. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I also got my black sparkle DMC3 on Friday and unwrapped it this AM. I am LOVING it so far. Now just to get that looper seam fixed?

9. teleclem

teleclem Member

Quick question -

Is there a limit to how many presets it scrolls? The # of presets of my TL is set at the factory # of 00-99 presets. But when I used the DMC3 just now, the last preset is only #63. I arrive at 63 right after scrolling down from 00. I didn't change anything with the TL. Is it possible this was caused by the DMC?

I set my DMC for PC switching (go from 00A to active 00B).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  10. XISTH

XISTH Member

teleclem, read post #160 above.

11. teleclem

teleclem Member

Thanks for pointing that out (can't believe how I missed that earlier :bonk but I was in front of my rig, reading on my phone).

I guess we'll have to wait for the new fw :D

I'll play around with the looper now.

12. Ahab3

Ahab3 Member

subscribed... and anxiously awaiting the DMC3XL... that sounds like a fantastic idea... all your midi/exression controls in one box... brilliant!

13. DisasterArea

This is fixed in the new version of the firmware. MIDI switching only allows 128 programs (0 to 127 actually) so Strymon allows a MIDI controller to send a "bank change" message before a program change to allow you to select these other presets. There's still some testing to do and there's a new feature in the works so we're waiting until the Strymon firmware update comes out before releasing the new version.

The 3XL is the same as the 3 but in a slightly bigger box (125B / Boss sized.) There is an expression wheel on the right or left side, and both sides of the box are drilled for it so you can change it out in a few minutes if you need it on the other side. Pop out a hole cover, unscrew the nut, move it over, done. This one is also waiting on the Strymon firmware update.

What we would like to see, in addition to the loop seam and mix level fixes and the 2-head mode from the El Cap on dTape, is MIDI control of the looper level. If this makes it into the firmware, the expression wheel on the 3XL will control either looper level, mix, or repeats.

Additionally, if the looper volume is adjustable in the new firmware, the DMC-3 pedals will be able to activate a new mode that uses the two lower buttons to increment and decrement the loop volume, as well as fade it up and down similar to your TV remote control. Press left to drop the volume by a bit, press and hold and it will ramp down to zero. Same for the right. This gets non-XL users the ability to change loop level without needing to spend more money.

Of course, if you WANT to spend more money, I can help you with that. :)

3XL's and new firmware will be available as soon as we know what's up with Strymon.

14. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

If I update my Timeline with the new firmware Strymon are getting ready to release - is it going to do anything to my DMC-2? Would I need to update the DMC as well?

15. DisasterArea

Probably not. On the last firmware update, Strymon left in all the old MIDI commands even though they added new ones. If there is a change, the only thing I can see not working is possibly the looper controls. A Program Change is a Program Change, and they won't mess with that.

We'll be ready with new firmware in very short order if a change is required.

16. Ahab3

Ahab3 Member

Thanks for the replies DA!

I am saving my pennies for a DMC-3XL for sure. I have a project coming up that this device (and the Timeline) will play a predominant role in. And, I can never have too many effects controllers on my board. ;)

17. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Supporting Member

Great thread ... thanks to crxshdxmmy for the videos. Looks very intersting ... I scanned the web for suitable MIDI controllers for the Timeline some weeks ago and couldn't find anything that I liked: Small, and able to send more than just programm changes. I've even sent a message to Strymon asking them something like "please think of developing a small favourite-switch-like MIDI device as a Timeline Sidecar. It should have an additional expression pedal input that can be switched to control either delay mix, feedback or looper level, plus it should have bank switching and looper double speed/reverse and tap subdivisions" ... just to find this thread today and to see that DisasterArea obviously has done most of this already :)

Now what I would really love: Being able to switch tap subdivisions from a DMC-3 (or possibly DMC-3 XL). Yes, I do get the point that my favourite scenario "DMC always displays the currently set tap subdivision when I recall a preset" will not work due to lack of a two-way-MIDI connection, but I could live with setting all patches to quarters and then changing subdivisions from there.

So, question to Matt: Would it be possible to have a second RGB LED in a RMC-3 (/XL)? And have the following functionality:

Middle Switch: Switches Mode A / B / C. Holding it recalls Preset 00 A.

MODE A: Left and right switches change banks
    MODE B: Left and right switch control looper double speed and reverse
    MODE C:
    Left switch switches tap subdivisions and has a corresponding RGB LED: quarters = LED off, dotted eights = green, triplets = blue, eights = red.
    Right switch switches DMC expression pedal (or expression wheel) from controlling looper level to some other fancy CC I still have to think about :)

Possible?

Thanks,
    Sascha

18. DisasterArea

Changing tap divisions is not difficult, but making the pedal user interface intuitive might be. Adding a second RGB LED to the DMC-3 is not a huge problem either. If we ever get looper level via MIDI then I might be able to accomplish everything on your list :) Putting an expression jack in the standard DMC-3 sized box is painful, I don't like it. If you want expression you're always better off with either the 3XL or the 4.

19. Joeldipert

Joeldipert Member

What will the price point be on the 3xl?

20. DisasterArea

[​IMG]

One hundred billion dollars!

No, actually it'll be $179.99 plus shipping.