Strymon Timeline Settings Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shizzaq, Jul 16, 2011.

1. telepunk

telepunk Member

I would be interested to know this as well.

2. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Supporting Member

bump for more settings...

3. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Supporting Member

Nobody? :(

4. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

I have a reverb setting that I made that I really like and it's very different from the other few that I've seen (although I still used pattern 16) posted. I will post it shortly. It's just a subtle-medium style reverb for giving some depth to the overall sound of whatever I'm playing, though. Not a long ambient swell type. However, I like it enough that I think I can go ahead and get rid of my HoF. The TL does all the ambient stuff I need so all I need the HoF for is a subtle-ish "background" verb but now I think I've made one that sounds as good as the HoF, to me, although it is quite different.

5. shihku

shihku Member

Does anyone know if its possible to make each repeat louder and louder on the timeline??

6. Plexiglass

Plexiglass Member

Has anyone copied the end of "eruption" with the Timeline? If so please post a clip. Thanks.

7. ARch

ARch Member

I sold my M9 and my POG and bought a Timeline and a Micro POG. I normally used the POG for organ-type swells/drones on a loop. The MP+Ice on the Timeline kicked its butt today. Most authentic organ sounds out of any guitar rig I've heard.

The Ice can do -2 to +2 octaves with many steps in between, and if you were to set the delay time pretty low (as they have done with quite a few presets - full Wet mix and very low delay time), you could get there.

Of course, it all depends on how versatile you are with the POG - for bass, 12-string and organ, I'm fully covered.

I love that you can basically make any digital delay model an analog model by turning the Filter & Grit settings to 12 o'clock.

You can go into oscillation mode by holding down A or B (depending on which preset you're currently on).

8. shihku

shihku Member

Mind sharing some sound clips? Does the Micro POG sound anything like the big brothers?

9. ARch

ARch Member

I was actually just trying to whip some up tonight... but then ran out of time. I'll certainly make some.

I'm picky about sound, but I think the MicroPOG cops great organ sounds, maybe even 'better' than the silver POG because there's less you can screw up. I ran dry 100%, sub 100%, and +1 octave about 65% (1 o'clock). Without the sweep slider, the bass sim doesn't sound quite as deep/strong, but it's hardly bad on the Micro -- more of an obvious sim than the full size would do.

I used an Ice setting that's similar to the one listed earlier in the thread, only with more repeats and +1 octave setting instead of +2 (since the POG is already doing +1, I don't need two more octaves up).

When I ran the silver POG into some delay and verb and used swells, I got compliments by two different band leaders on the sound at two different gigs. The normal "whoa a guitar can do that? yeah let's use it here."

I ran the MicroPOG + Timeline for the first time this weekend, and nobody said anything at first... because they thought the sound guy was running house music. Think U2 - Streets intro. When they realized it was me, they crowded around. These are pretty seasoned musicians and they were taken aback.

Edit: CLIP!
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3164789/MicroPOG and Timeline.mp3

DISCLAIMER: I recorded this using Amplitube on my iPhone. Don't expect anything high fidelity. The Timeline trails didn't seem to last as long (didn't change the setting), and the swells were done with the guitar volume knob while seated awkwardly. This is a good 'gist' and not much more.

First clean sound through the Fender Twin amp model with the neck pickup on my G&L S-500, then with the POG at the above settings, then with an RV-5 set to modulate, and finally with the Timeline Ice mode (picked, then swells). Hope that helps.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  10. telepunk

telepunk Member

Very cool - I got the same response the other day. We were down a keyboard player and needed some swells for a song transition. I kicked in my favorite ICE setting (which is the most "normal" ice facotry preset, not sure which one) and did some volume swells following the chord progression.

Everyone definintely turned and gave me the "that's your guitar?" look, followed closely by, "I don't know what that is but that's what we're doing..."

Great pedal.

11. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

DraggAmps;
    I have a Timeline coming next week, and I have the HoF as well. Does the Timeline have the ability to do most of the HoF reverbs?

12. Steve Hotra

Thanks for posting your sound clip. This is what I am looking forward to using with my guitars, especially my pedal steel.

13. telepunk

telepunk Member

It would be very cool with pedal steel.

14. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

No, not really. There's basically one delay type (Pattern delay, pattern 16) that sounds best and I don't use anything else for reverb sounds. You can play with the filter and modulation and such, but it doesn't have the ability to mimmic different types of reverb, such as spring, hall, room, etc. Pattern 16 has it's own kind of sound that's hard for me to label, and beyond that, all you can really do is play with all of the knobs, which yield lots of different sounds and flavors, but it doesn't amount to different reverb types. You could try to make reverb from other delay types, but I think you'll find that Pattern 16 sound significantly better than any other choice and I don't think the other delay types will turn out to simply be dTape=hall, dBucket=room, Lofi=spring, etc.

The Pattern 16 reverb doesn't sound quite like anything in the HoF either, but it sounds arguably as good. It almost sounds like it should be another setting within the HoF. But long story short, no I don't think you can emulate a bunch of different types of reverb in the HoF. And depending on how you use the HoF, the TL might not compare at all. But for me, the TL creates great subtle reverb as well as wiggly, long, washy ambient reverb, which is all I need.

15. Steve Hotra

Thanks for the detailed reply regarding the reverb on the Timeline.

16. orogeny

orogeny Silver Supporting Member

nice job on the video.

what were the settings for the ice/swell at the end of the vid?

17. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance Silver Supporting Member

Mine has just shipped, so I shall be doing some intense reading in here tonight!!

18. Matthew John Bell

Matthew John Bell Member

Here are the settings for the Ice preset. I also made a video with this preset.

[​IMG]

19. Tonatic

Tonatic Member

Matt,

Have you worked on your DMM setup since you posted this a few weeks back? Just curious if you've come any "closer" to your ideal preset.

20. orogeny

orogeny Silver Supporting Member

you know, i was working with that on sunday and didn't realize it was the same person. i'm not getting that synthy swell you got at the end of the DMM video though. are you working the guitar vol too?