Suhr Antique Classic vs. the Suhr Classic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GarMan, Feb 12, 2010.

1. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

Hey. I have a regular classic, and I am thinking about financing another Suhr. Are the Antiques worth the extra dough? What are the differences? Is it just cosmetics? Seeking advice from Suhr head out there. Thanks!

2. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I have a classic S and an Antique S with another Antique S almost done. The regular is alder/maple/Indian RW. The Antique is alder/maple/ Braz RW. The one on order is ash/quartersawn maple.

I believe the only difference is the nitro and aging with the Antique. You can spec out the rest identical to each other if you'd like. Upgrades aside like a BRW fretboard, I don't think the Antique's use better grade alder or maple or anything like that.

They are both incredible guitars. I can't say one sounds better than the other. I bought the regular classic before John offered the Antiques. I like and prefer a nitro body because of the way it settles into the wood and ages. I'd like to say it breathes more but don't want to start a flame war. I think I actually like John's standard neck finish better than the nitro. This is nit picking at this point. I went back and fourth deciding if I wanted to get that finish instead of nitro. In the end I choose nitro keeping with the aged/relic theme. If they still offered a NOS version I may have chose the standard neck finish.

Another option is to get a "thin skin" poly finish on a standard classic. I'm a little sketchy on these details but I believe a "thin skin" finish was an upgrade when I ordered mine way back. Now I think it's standard.

In the end I think it was worth the extra $ and don't have any regrets.

3. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

Thanks Joe! I'm just wondering if the antique is worth that extra $700 or so?!

4. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I think it's worth it. Especially if you go for a vintage spec. Meaning tuners & bridge, not fretboard radius & frets. That's why I ordered a second. If you like your classic I think you'll really like an Antique.

5. Maven

Maven Member

I've had 3 Suhr Classics, the last one was a light Relic (the 3rd one offered by Suhr). I got mine used for basically the same price I would have paid for a non-antique. The relic job was really great on it but honestly, it still didn't "feel" like an older guitar. I'm not so sure (for me) that I would spend the extra $700 for the aging. I also don't think there's an advantage for resale either. That being said...They are great, great guitars.

6. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

Thanks Maven. Thanks Joe Perry! I think I'm just going to buy another classic. Now, I'm going back and forth on the damn specs! Ughhhhhh! This is fun and frustrating at the same time! Don't know whether to get a bigger neck or not?

7. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Supporting Member

I really recommend you checking out the antique I got a few weeks ago.. There is photo's of it posted here on TGP and a spec sheet. It came out fantastic!!!

Peace
    Shane