Suhr classic or Don Grosh Retro strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by strattitude, Jan 23, 2008.

1. strattitude

strattitude Member

I gonna get an upmarket strat within the near future. First I was totally set on an alder/Rosewood Suhr Classic w. FL standard pickups and vintage 6 screw bridge, 10-14 radius, not quite sure about frets just not SS, Vintage medium C or even C med. neck.

Then I stumbled upon the Don Grosh Retro strats which also seem to get a lot of praise. They seem to mostly have Fralin pickups, either Blues Specials or Vintage hot and a SP43 in bridge pos. I dont think I would like the SP43 as it seems to be fairly high output, and might be hard to balance w. the 2 middle pups. I don't like high output pups.
    I really like the Tele Blues Specials in my Tokai tele though.

I have read that Suhr and Grosh both make really resonant guitars.
    Can anyone compare these guitars and thepickups in them?

I dont like totally high gain tones but classic fat strat tones, just nut icepicky.

Thanks!

2. 1radicalron

1radicalron Supporting Member

I own both Grosh and Suhr Guitars. They are both great Strat style Guitars.
    * I find the Suhr has a more modern sound and vibe to it. It would be an all around Great fusion style Guitar.
    * The Grosh Retro has a very vintage sound and vibe to it. Very easy to get Hendrix/SRV style sounds.
    I personally play the Grosh way more. I guess I am a sucker for the Vintage Tone!!!
    BTW - I am using the Dimarzio Area 58/61 Pups with stunning results. Also like the Fralin Vintage Hots (they are not too overwound) But do have that famous 60 cycle hum.

3. onemind

onemind Supporting Member

I own both, have had several of each and have nothing bad to say, The Suhr is a bit more resonant, but my current Grosh has mroe of a vintage Vibe (this might be due to the Dimarzio Area 61 pups in middle and neck)

The Suhr's pickups are very strat like, but almost a high-fi version, lots of clarity and sparkle

You cannot go wrong with either one.

4. Kappy

Kappy Supporting Member

Pretty different guitars IMO and IME. Best to try a couple of each (I know, that's not always easy to do).

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Swamp Ash Grosh with Fralins! Stu at FatSound will hook you up with the best prices....tell him Eric sent you. If you custom order expect about a 4 month wait. Check my other thread I posted on the Grosh I have coming; I'll have photos up by this weekend so check back!!!!!

Sorry but I have to say after playing a bunch of Suhrs, they were great and better than any off-the-shelf Fender, but they were no Grosh. I little hyped in my opinion; and Grosh's are sort of under the radar at this time. Stu carries nothing but the best of the best. He's a Grosh dealer and not a Suhr, although I'm sure he could sell a many of them. That's got to say something in itself.

6. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Bingo! Would have to agree with this assessment.

7. Dave

Dave Gold Supporting Member

You guys do know that John was the Master Luthier at Fender's Custom Shop, right? He knows as much about building classic guitars as anyone on the planet. If you want a vintage style instrument John can build it for you.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Grosh, he builds beautiful guitars too, but you can't say all Suhr guitars sound or feel a certain way, it's simply not true.

8. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Played a Grosh a long time ago, very impressed, but wasn't into the strat thing then. My buddy here at work has a Suhr Classic that sounded great too, very "acoustic" unplugged.

I would go for the Grosh if I had to choose. Specs just fit me better. The Suhr had a great fit and finish, but the poly felt "plasticy" compared to the more organic nitro on the Grosh.

9. Troubleman

Troubleman Gold Supporting Member

Both.
    I have a Suhr Custom Classic that just plain ROCKS!
    Jeff Bober over at Budda Amplification has a forest-green Grosh that's sweet. I told Jeff I may have to wait for him one night with a tire iron - I want a Grosh like that one. I have a preference (slight) for Suhrs, but that's a personal thing. Both companies make great instruments

jb

10. dookie

dookie Member

Have played Grosh and am a Suhr owner...

Both guitar brands have their place... Can't say one is better than the other because it really depends on your own taste... But I choose Suhr because the feel of the guitars match me better... Grosh builds killer stuff though... I'm really into the Electrojet...

11. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

I have a Grosh Retro Classic that originally had Fralin Blue Specials in the guitar. I much prefer the lollars, so I swapped them for a set of lollar blackface, and now I'm real happy with the tone. Thats just me. There are also plenty of folks on the forum who like the Fralins.

As other's have said , very retro sounding strat like guitar.

I have also owned a Sure Pro Series Guitar. Its a very competatively proced guitar. Based upon owning both Surhs and Groshes, I would say you can't go wrong either way. They are both dextremely well build and competatively priced guitars.

My suggestion would be to play

12. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Some folks like A2's, some like A5's. I like A2's in my humbucker's and A5's for single coil punch and glass.

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

Differences are likely due to pickups - both make great guitars that can be spec'd modern or vintage, both features and tone. imo can't go wrong with either, comes down to which headstock and body shape you like.

I prefer Don's headstock and Suhr's body.....

14. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Grosh if I had to pick. I too prefer the Suhr body and Grosh HS.

15. JMG

JMG Member

I sold my Grosh RC when I got my first Suhr. And I eventually wound up with a total of three Suhrs. YMMV.

16. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I have a thinskin alder/African rosewood Suhr without the Feiten system, and it's a very vibrant, even, clear-sounding guitar. just about all you could want from a strat.

I'm just sorting out the pickups on it, as although the FL's are really good, they are a hair too bright for this particular guitar. Other than that minor issue, it's a great piece.

I'm sure you'll be impressed with either the Suhr or Grosh you go for.

17. FFTT

FFTT Member

My friend and I were looking at the Suhr, Grosh and Anderson sites just yesterday.

He's thinking about a lightweight Strat design and I was looking for
    ES-335 style or ES-339 style semi-hollowbodies.

I was under the impression that Grosh offered a semi-hollowbody
    but did not see anything with f holes at all or anything close
    to a 335.

Am I looking at the wrong page?

Also as far as build quality, how do the Suhr and Grosh stand up to Anderson's

Like I said, my friend is more interested in Strat body styles
    and I'm interested more in semi-hollowbodies.

Suggestions?

18. Kappy

Kappy Supporting Member

I have this, so you might want to keep looking! It's closer in body size to the CS-336, but it's a great guitar (much better than the 336 I had, note the use of the term "had").

19. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Both are great and well made. The sound will depend mainly on the pickups so I won't go there. The feel is what is different, but then again unless you are comparing one of each with the exact same specs it's an apples vs oranges situation.

I have a Suhr Classic and I just sold my Grosh retro classic. I would be lying if I said the Suhr played better. I prefer it because of the specs and color. Grosh used nitro, a very thin layer, so it nicks up easy, but supposedly it allows the wood to breathe. The Grosh was also smaller, lighter and strayed more from a traditional strat design. If you go with a Grosh I will recommend the blender pickup wiring which allows you to use the bottom tone control to blend the bridge and neck pickups. Very useful.

I like the weight and balance of my Suhr. It feels a little more substantial to me than the Grosh and I also love Suhr's pickups. I couldn't think of a better strat for me

20. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Supporting Member

Look at the "Set Neck" page. He builds these in solid, semi-hollow and fully hollow bodies. Great guitars.