The Glaswerks Thread- version 2.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by J.T. Guitar, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Would love to hear the clips, Reggie!

2. Reggie

Reggie Member

@Jujo, yeah should´ve worked the switches instead of the knobs. But I was sitting in with another band for only 5 songs, and had to shine. Thiele cab was very nice to me :)

@Dave, I had the mics misplaced in those last clips i recorded AND too much reverb dialed in on the amp because Billion81 found them dry... Playing also sucks, but here´s one until I get some new ones done...

2xET65 cab, bright switches ON on the OD1 :
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/fuhlendorf/gw-ev12m-th-revelation[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Here is 3 older clips i made...

GW thiele cab with EV12S speaker :
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/fuhlendorf/gw-ev12s-th-c-fusion[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Same 2xET65 cab :
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/fuhlendorf/gw-2xet65-c-fusion[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Small 1x12 oval cab with Blackhawk HP speaker (same clip that´s posted on prev. page, phasing issues here) :
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/fuhlendorf/gw-blackhawk-hp[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Reg

3. scottl

scottl Gold Supporting Member

Smoking Reg.... Great time feel!!

4. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Absolutely super, Reggie! Love the tones and playing, man. Like Scott said, great phrasing and manipulation of time. Especially dig the first 2xET65 clip and the BH-HP clip for tones. What cabs are being used in these and what guitar/PUPs? Great stuff.

BTW, you asked via email about settings. They've changed! Took some pics for ya. These were arrived at with the Forte 3D112 BH-HP cab. (I use neck and neck/middle SCs with the clean channel, bridge HB with OD1 and neck, neck/middle SCs with OD2. Bright cap switch is ON.) Have a cancer benefit this Wed and plan to use this rig there. Will drop a mic and post if anything good happens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Reggie

Reggie Member

Scott, Mike and Dave, thx much - tone advice AND confidence boost - I like it here :)

@ Dave, very kind of you to post pics! Seems like you cut low end dramaticly with those new settings? Can't tell if you have the treble knob clicked off on OD1, but didn't you have the switches set for RF values before? When I have my amp set to : shift up, voice middle, fat down, I get too much low end in OD1 through my 2XET65 cab. Maybe I should save up to some G1265's instead. Also, I have the voice switch on the back labeled 'option' - haven't you got the dual voicings in your amp?

Regarding my clips, the 2XET65's is in an oval D style cab I build. It tends to flub a little in the deep lows and produce a slight fizz in the highs on the initial attack of the notes. Dig the overall vibe from these speakers with the SOD II though.

BH HP is in a small oval ported cab, love this speaker too. More open and vintage sounding to me. I think all those clips were done with a stock japanese Fender Ultra Esprit in the bridge split or hum. Maybe I had it in the middle setting split at some point...

6. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Reggie, I do have the switches set for the RF circuit (according to Gary's manual) and the bright caps in circuit for both OD1 and OD2. On back, all the knobs are at noon, high power, fast. The bass is about where I've always had it...maybe a touch lower with the Forte cab, but not much. The clean Treble is higher and I think the clean gain is higher with the OD channel gains a touch lower.

There are just so many great tones and settings in this amp though. I need to find a way to work in the Boost for OD1 and some Mid boost too. Amazing range of tones to be had!

7. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Regarding the dual voicing, no, I only have the RF voicing. FWIW, I really like early 60s long plate GE 12AX7s for V1, V2, but use a RCA black plate 5751 in V3 because I use SCs into that channel and the 5751 sounds more clear and snappy with SCs. All slots really affect the tones quite a bit so it's worth experimenting...more cash to blow! LOL.

8. Reggie

Reggie Member

Yes Dave, I see how the switches are set now - great tones with those settings. I copied them and adjusted a bit from there, two new clips below. Mics are placed a little too far off center, so it came out a tad muffled through my headphones but nice and smooth I think? I took pics of the front knobs, but here´s the amp after I rehoused it yesterday to match my cabs (IF I can figure out how to get it up here) :

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/fuhlendorf/gw-et65-rf-2-2[/SOUNDCLOUD]

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/fuhlendorf/gw-et65-rf-3-2[/SOUNDCLOUD]

I will try some different preamp tubes, already have some GE 5751´s and RCA black/grey plates - both 5751/12AX7s, thx. Dave

Reg.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  9. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

Reggie, your clips sound great!!! Great playin!!!!!!

10. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Hole smokes, Reg, fantastic playing and tone! just love your playing, man. :aok
    Doesn't sound muffled to me at all!

11. Reggie

Reggie Member

Pinner/Dave_C, thx for listening!

I did a slight low-cut on those two clips. Less than you would in a real recording session though, but I'll replace the mics and try again. I like the tones in the room, great settings. However, I had the vari-bass on OD1 set to the 2. highest click, unlike you Dave? Seems you have it set lower, but there's something special about that possition that is totally awesome. The highs (plain strings) are smoother and the lows on the wound strings gets less round and more loose, like a roaring Rrrrr sound. The low end are still a tad too massive through my 2XET65 cab, much better with the GW thiele 1XEV12M...

More later guys!