The North Face vs. Patagonia

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by wholetone, Sep 30, 2012.

1. wholetone

wholetone Member

I have a lot of The North Face stuff and some Patagonia. What I'm finding out is that quality wise, the Patagonia is better top to bottom (including their shoes) vs. what The North Face puts out (TNF jackets are usually top notch, but their fleece leaves a lot to be desired)... other opinions? TNF's workout stuff is better, though, and the sizing is more generous. But Patagonia makes the better fleece IMHO.

2. kirkw

kirkw Supporting Member

I prefer the pat stuff as well. I fished a set of their waders a couple years ago, top shelf. North face was really good till all the urban folks wanted to look like they climb mountains. Now it's a status symbol.

3. wholetone

wholetone Member

I usually drive a couple of times a year over the mountain to visit the outlet store outside of Reno. You can sometimes get some awesome deals.

As I said, TNF jackets are good, though - I have a couple I wear here in the fall, and a 3-in-1 winter coat that's great for subzero temperatures, although it sits in my closet as I'm not up in the Sierras that much - in fact, last time I wore it was late 2009 in Iowa after my mother died.

4. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

There are two very different forces driving TNF vs. Patagonia. The North Face is part of the same company that own Lee Jeans, publicly traded, I believe, so you know, pressure to move product and cut cost. That being said, their stuff is still solid, but not on the same level as Patagonia.

Patagonia is still essentially a single proprietorship. Yvon Chouinard is the driving force. I support Patagonia as a great business, great product and a California business that is local to me.

That being said, TNF makes tents and Sleeping Bags, and Patagonia is essentially a clothing/surfboard manufacturer

There are those how say that Arcteryx is the way to go, but my Patagonia stuff just works. I've been through a lot of really bad weather in Patagonia stuff. Better than my experience is my friend who runs snow removal and snow making at Mammoth Mountain. They change the company clothing lines a lot. His take is that the Patagonia gear was the best they every had.

I could care less about the image of that stuff, but the TNF logo does get all over the place on their garments. So I'm guess I'm a Patagoniac.

5. joemilitello

joemilitello Member

We here in the northern rockies call patagonia, "Patagucci."

Their stuff is ridiculously expensive.

Buy two North Face jackets, pocket the difference between the cost of a Patagonia jacket and take it to the bank.

This from a guy who snowboards 50 days a year, kayaks another 20, and goes backcountry camping in grizzly country.

6. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

I get what you are saying. I should add that I don't buy my gear, whomsoever makes it, without it going on markdown. If you really want some sticker shock check the Arcteryx stuff out! To rich for my blood even when it's on sale.

7. hop

hop Member

Unfortunately for me, the Patagonia Ironclad Guarantee doesn't apply to surfboards. I did this today. :(

I was always more of a Patagucci fan than TNF.

[​IMG]

8. wholetone

wholetone Member

I agree that TNF is not as durable as it used to be. Especially the fleece... its good for about one season and that's it. I'd rather pay the price difference and get the Patagonia which lasts a lot longer.

9. PAF

PAF Member

[​IMG]

10. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Supporting Member

I dont own either of their shoes. For technical outerwear, pretty much anything made with GoreTex is going to be made to the same standards; they have tight controls on their licensed manufacturers. For fleeces, soft shells and the like, I think they're all about the same. I buy what fits. Probably my most versatile item of clothing is a Marmot down vest.

11. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

I think its all pretty nice stuff and all the stuff Ive had from those companies has held up very well over the years, arcteryx stuff seems to be the trendiest and most expensive out of all the outdoorsy stuff-

I like marmot too, and theres a company called Bergans that makes really nice stuff but its out of norway and has really limited distribution in the US, never had any problems with columbia stuff either

12. lunchbox

lunchbox Member

Mountain Hardware for me. I want to like Patagonia stuff, but there is something about it that I don't gel with. I think North Face still makes quality gear, but I hate wearing what everyone else is wearing. I own a bunch of MH stuff and love it. It is durable, comfortable, very high quality and even looks stylish for us "urban" wearers.

13. cratz2

cratz2 Member

It's hard to say 'no' to money... When the trend factor sets in, profits go up and quality almost always goes down. This is the story of The North Face.

They were solid for a long time but when 80% of your demographic is soccer moms and business men that don't ever walk in mud, your quality is absolutely going to decline.

14. joemesser

joemesser Supporting Member

I absolutely love patagonia stuff, it rules. The quality is very high. It is expensive but I usually hit their website for the end of season sales and get everything 50% off or more. Works for me!

15. campfirehero

campfirehero Member

Haha, good one!

16. NHDave

NHDave Supporting Member

I like north face stuff, but the two things I owned (runner
    type shirts), the neck zipper areas gave way, one was returned
    for repair and that gave away too... won't buy again.

never had a problem with nike, under armour stuff...

17. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

I like REI's stuff. Years ago I bought a quick dry kayaking shirt at the outlet store. That shirt should be completely wrecked yet it still looks brand new. Not faded, the silkscreen is still intact and it hasn't popped a single stitch or thread. It seems odd to be raving about a shirt but they make great stuff. IN fact I was almost mugged by two tweekers for the damn thing at a boat launch and had to run em off with a Kryptonite bike lock, I mean it's a REALLY nice shirt. lol

18. Porrig

Porrig Womble of Thor Silver Supporting Member

My experience: In the 1980's through to the mid 1990's I did a lot of mountaineering in the European and Japanese alps, along with a lot of activities in the Scottish and N. Irish mountains. North Face products were the 'go to' then and I never had a problem, even in close to **** conditions. I've used them ever since as a reference brand and find it hard to beat for the price/features.

19. BLacktocomm

BLacktocomm Member

I go with Stoic brand from Backcountry.com. They have a lifetime warranty like the Patagucci stuff does, but cost 1/4 as much. If you want to look awesome on the mountain go with Norrona, it is like boutique outdoor gear. I think Patagucci and North Face are both kind of losing it, where the big new thing are upstart brands and small market makers for dirtbaggers and ski bums alike.

20. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

TNF is a completely different company than it was in the 80-90s now. Quality is quite different too.

I'd have to look up dates, but I think it was around late 90s they sold the company and mass production started.