**The Official**Anyone own the new Empress Tape Delay yet??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SirGilmour, Feb 21, 2013.

1. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  2. lv

lv Supporting Member

I'll have one next week. I think only one dealer in the states received stock yesterday, so the only option was buying direct from Empress.

3. SirGilmour

did you order the day it was available? If so i guess nobody has one yet. Im dying to play it.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

It only went from "pre-order" to checkout-able today on the Empress website. I should have funds tomorrow to order one tomorrow, if there's any left by tomorrow.

5. SirGilmour

OHHH. I didnt know they did a preorder. I thought it was available. I cant wait to see reviews. Thanks for the info

6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Ordered. Should have next week. Looking forward to your review, lv... we've been on this "tape delay quest" for a long time...

Incidentally, I did just receive the new Wampler Faux Tape Echo Tap to shootout with my El Cap...

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Looking fwd to your thoughts. I loved the vmsd, so this one should be great, esp with the analog dry.

Pro Guitar Shop has them in stock - thanks40 takes $40 off a $299 order.

8. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Gold Supporting Member

good thing they're only $249 ;)

really tempted in hearing opinions/demos of this against the el cap.

9. SirGilmour

I havent owned an el cap but i did own a VMSD and a Timeline and IMO opinion the VMSD had a far superior tape section. The best i have played. The timeline sounded too....digital?(for lack of a better term) I have the worst GAS for this new tape delay especially with analog dry

10. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

So you get both preset access and tap with only the two buttons? That sounds clever...

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos

11. Adagietto

Adagietto Member

It looks like you get preset access or tap.

12. StringEmil

StringEmil Member

13. Realfi

Fair enough..

Personally for me that makes the favourite switch option of the El Caps more useful but in the end it'd come down to tone..

14. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Tap has never been a big deal to me, and sometimes I think it's more PITA than it worth, for example when you've tapped in a time, and it's CLOSE so you try to tap it in again but it's still not right, you can't use the delay time knob or it overrides tap and you're even farther away.

Given a choice between presets and tap, I'll take presets no problem. Heck, my AD-999 has neither, and on it I don't MISS either! Because it's dead simple to change quickly. If it only had a modulation control...sigh...

15. Realfi

Yeah I don't miss tap with my AD999 either, great sounding delay. I use it as my almost always on delay at a general sort of setting. I do like to have have the tap option also for certain things though.. At present I also have an ML Jr on the board for this but I'm interested in trying something more tape-ish.

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

Ha! Yea, I missed the valentines day coupon which was 40 off 249, but to my knowledge the empress doesn't come with a power supply, so a one spot, 5 plug cable and fender t-shirt accompanied my order....

I loved the vmsd and only used the tape modes, so expectations are high.

Will compare to the El Cap and Supa Puss.

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thoughts on the Wampler yet? Do the new ones still have the input signal driven modulation? How is the noise level?

18. SirGilmour

You and me both. I pretty much lived on tape mode.

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

How did you get along with the conversion of the dry signal? I didn't care when I was running a separate wet/dry rig, but once I started going through the front end of the amp it was noticeable. I think the new tape delay is perfect featurewise and what many customers were looking for.

Now that I think of it, I only sold my VMSD to go to an Axe-FX, I don't think I've played a delay I've liked better since then, though the El Cap was close.

20. SirGilmour

I never ran a separate wet/dry rig so its hard to say how much of a difference it made. I always had it on my board and while i did notice some high end loss, I couldnt say for sure if it was the other pedals (there was about 8) or the VMSD.

I agree this is what a lot of people have wanted. A good solid analog dry thru tape delay from empress after hearing how good the tape was on the VMSD. Its been my favorite delay to date and while the timeline was a close second, it just didnt sound as believable as the VMSD tape mode.