The solution for cone cry

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rambergwest, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

Are these good with hot fudge? Do they have Micro Dots for 10" speakers?

2. qingcong

qingcong Member

This is not a bad business idea. Those little stickers probably cost what, $0.001 to produce each? Sell a bag of 10 for $80 and make easy money. No need to quit your current job, just do this on the side.

If you google map their address, it leads to some trees. The houses closest to the location look pretty fancy. Perhaps he is doing well.

3. edgewound

edgewound Member

His real name is P.T. Barnum.

4. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Supporting Member

Didn't people put little dots in their mouths in the 60's. That would change your perception of sound

5. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Well, there's a grain of truth in every lie.
    A loudspeakers behavior is affected by every piece of moving mass in its motor. Stiffer or more elastic suspension, soft or rigid cone, coil former size and material, even length of fibers in cone paper matters. Heck, why are there hemp cones and recycled vs. new paper? Applying small masses to the cone at the points where it bends out of shape most when vibrating i.e waveform peak vs node will affect it's sound. It's an analog to balancing a car wheel.
    Having said this, I'd like to hear a real demo demonstrating effectiveness of these products. There is ground in physics for some of the claims. Whether it works as advertized is a different story.
    I'm a skeptic trying to keep an open mind.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  6. edgewound

edgewound Member

The best solution for cone cry is to replace the defective cone....because turd polish won't fix a-tonal resonances.

7. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

Here is a cone cry example:

I slowly turn up the volume, and at a certain point, yuch!!

http://www.seanet.com/~pauls/cone_cry.mp3

I got sick of having this porblem with speakers that had small voice coils (less than 2"). So, now I only have JBL's with 4 " voice coils.

8. dsmc80

dsmc80 Supporting Member

The only dots that I've ever used to change my perception of musical characteristics are micro-dots. I don't think you can buy those online though. :)

9. bluesmann8

bluesmann8 Senior Member

to dope or not to dope or be a dope? that is the question. cone cry is your speaker screaming, i need dope.

10. Rambergwest

Rambergwest Member

This is a great post and much appreciated. I find it interesting from an engineering perspective and have seen some amazing changes as a result of resonance tuning but admit it is way out there for most folks. The concept of a tuning fork type of device that can absorb a particular frequency and transfer the energy to a higher order harmonic out of the audible zone is real and fairly understandable.

11. qingcong

qingcong Member

The claims being made by this company about the little circular stickers and their other products are not engineering. They are flat out lies. Sticking little tiny stickers on a window to tune it? You can't believe there is an ounce of truth to that. Well, the stickers themselves may weigh a few fractions of an ounce.

12. Rambergwest

Rambergwest Member

Next time you have a rattle, buzz, whatever in your practice room try this, place a bag of sand on whatever is buzzing, rattling, etc.
    Does the noise stop?
    Thats resonance control, think of the dots as little bags of sand if it makes things easier. Mass loading is nothing more than a way to change the resonant signature of an object. It works, its an accepted fact and that is recorded. The size of the dots makes it hard to accept but there is plenty of ways to test it that produce verifiable results.

13. edgewound

edgewound Member

Your premise is sound.

However the implementation of the premises by use of the products under scrutiny is hard to believe at best and out and out fraud at worst. It probably does something...but I highly doubt that something is worth anything substantial...especially without some very intense vibration analysis to determine the resonant frequency and the area under resonance.

14. meterman

meterman Member

thanks for that, I've always wondered and now I know that I have thankfully never heard this from my Celestions...

15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I have v30's that will do it!:aok
    :sarcasm
    And they are about as dopey as I would want to try, too.

16. qingcong

qingcong Member

If something is loose, then it needs to be tightened.

Speaker resonance is not black magic; it is determined by diaphragm mass and suspension compliance. If the stickers work magic "resonance" (I don't think people use the term resonance correctly), then why aren't there test results for this method? How come no acoustic design engineers do it?

17. alivegy

alivegy Member

I would have to think, that if you are the kind of person who is seriously browsing that site in order to purchase products, that you must have run out of things to spend money on for your hi/fi system. And if that is the case, and you have spent all of that money, then your crazy expensive speakers probably shouldn't have a problem with cone cry.

If I bought a bentley, and had a problem, and the people from Bentley told me that I needed to glue on some chrome plastic piece of crap from pep boys to fix it I would be pissed.

18. bobmeredith

bobmeredith Member

19. GA20T

GA20T Supporting Member

Yes, but "Marigo" sounds very much like "Marigold", which I think is a fantastic name for another high-end audio company. I'm sold! What I can't understand is how they can blow out dots at these prices!

[​IMG]

20. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

I discovered an effective solution for cone cry!

It's a box that creates a Dangerfield for speakers- The (Rodney) Dangerfield Box. Skeptical? Just read these instructions taken directly from the manual...

1) Place sad, depressed speaker in the Dangerfield Box
    2) Flip Humor Switch to the "On" Position
    3) Unhappy speaker is now thrust into the Dangerfield. Your speaker cone then absorbs randomly cascading one-liners such as "About my sex life... It's great! It's just too bad I've gotta do it alone!"
    4) After approximately ten minutes, flip Humor Switch to the "Standby" position.
    5) Remove happy, smiling, well-adjusted speaker from Dangerfield Box. Look- no more cone cry!
    6) For greatest effectiveness, repeat steps 1-5 once every day.

I know the Dangerfield Box gets no respect around here but it completely eliminated cone cry from my Eminence Swamp Thang. And I only need to use it once a week!