Thoughts on Lovepedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eatonp081, Dec 1, 2009.

1. eatonp081

eatonp081 Member

I am looking for a legit distortion/overdrive pedal. I've seen the Lovepedal's Amp 50, Eternity Fuse, and Church of Tone. I have only heard these pedals from on YouTube. I am just curious about people like them. Let me know...

Thanks,

Peyton

2. Velvert

Velvert Member

I dig my Lovepedals; I've owned three overdrive pedals. Each one had its own character I liked about them, but I was not happy with the sound I was getting out of my amp with them. I was at Truetone music to try out some delays and my daughter loved the look of the Kanji overdrive, and asks me to try it out. We both loved the sound of the pedal and it had that warm overdrive I had been searching for. I had been using an OD-9 silver mod, great pedal just too much mid hump with my amp and guitar. I had the tone level set at one most of the time. When I got home with the Kanji and played it threw my rig with just the clean channel it was amazing, the sound has just the right amount of brake up and warm overdrive I was searching for. So warm and kind of fuzzy too, in a good way. I played the Kanji and OD-9 stacked together and it sounded kind of cool, so thought I would love to try and stack two Lovepedals. I bought a Lovepedal Fuse. The Fuse and Kanji stacked together is simply awesome, the sound is so warm with my clean and dirty channels. I have the kanji drive at 12 and the Fuse drive at 2. I can also use the glass level to give it some bite if I need it too with out getting that mid hump I was living with. I get this feed back I have been trying to push out of my amp that drifts out of the notes after being held and sustained and I can get it from both channels and Lovepedals in any combinations too.

3. sutherland

sutherland Member

Would love to try the Eternity but there are SO many variations of that particular circuit.

4. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Yes, I hope he's keeping track of his creations. An official Lovepedal family tree would be a site to see.

5. sutherland

sutherland Member

and a cool way to navigate the site for all his retired pedals!:aok

6. Sourdiesel

Sourdiesel Active Member

I've owned three Lovepedals (Eternity, Kanji, and Les Lius) and was not impressed with any of them/dumped them quickly/won't ever buy any more of them. IMHO, Lovepedals are vastly over rated! My $0.02, for what it is worth.

7. johann

johann Member

I had a Vibe pedal and after some months it began doing some loud pop whenever I step on it, some people says the new pickle vibe and trem do the same...I really want those two pedals but I'm waiting to see what more people says about them.

8. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Supporting Member

I didn't buy into the Lovepedal frenzy until much later. I really love my 2004 Burst Eternity though. Fantastic pedal. I've owned many Es since then and although they are similar the one I have is the tops. I've also played with an older COT red and its a great tone too...however I couldn't make it fit in w/ my rig. I've also owned the vibe.

Lovepedal seems to inspire a lot of fan boiz but I've only kept one of his creations.

9. Curt

Curt Member

And because he doesn't provide a way identify which "version" "mod" " etc. is in each pedal, that's exactly why I won't buy one.
    Too much $ to play silly guessing games.

10. marcg71

marcg71 Member

I've got an Eternity and really fail to see the "greatness". Note I am using humbuckers, I've heard they really shine with single coils.

11. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

aren't they all variations of an 808 circuit? :)

Sean is a great builder and a firend. All his stuff is first class.

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

The Eternity OD is one of the coolest dirt boxes and pedals ever. I have two hand wired versions from about 4 years ago. Although, yes they have that familure OD flavor, there's so much more to them. Especially through a clean amp. It's got a perfect mix of upper mid bite, smoothness and slight compression it just fits for almost *any* dirt sound I need.

If you want to try an Eternity, by all means check out a Fuse. Doesn't have as much gain as my two, but it's so refined and cool... it's just sick.

13. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

Someone on fsb actually did that at one time...

14. madaxeman

madaxeman Member

I owned a 200LBS of Tone and a hand wired PP 800 and was totally underwhelmed by both of them. It doesn't mean Sean isn't a fine builder and doesn't deserve all the praise he gets or that I would never consider trying another one of his pedals. It's just my opinion, they just didn't have the "WOW" or "IT" factor for me.

15. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

I have only one, an Eternity Kanji 9, and it absolutely rocks, especially with a Strat. His pedals are overpriced though and there is a hype surrounding his creations.

But the one Lovepedal experience I've had so far is of an amazing pedal capable of several awesome tones. And Sean is a great guy to deal with too.

16. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi since I bought mine Black Eternity and COT50 Gold mine searching days are over :)
    Best combo I bought in years should have bought those 2 years ago, saved me a lot of money and trouble.
    Peace Strat58

17. 100JH

100JH Member

Interested in checking out a Purple Plexi...

18. DSnellen79

DSnellen79 Supporting Member

I have an Eterinty Kanji and Kanji Classic Distortion. I really like them but I didn't at first. They kinda grew on me. I play an american strat loaded with texas specials into a few pedals, that you can see in my sig, into a fender twin reverb. The amp is very clean and I use my pedals for all the dirt. I set my Kanji E last in the dirt section after the classic distortion. The two of them were made for each other. The Kanji E is very, very warm. Sometimes too warm for my taste even with single coils. However the glass control works well to brighten things up a bit. I have the drive control at about noon. I use the Kanji E as a solo OD or "Heavier" OD. Then I have the Kanji Classic Distortion set up infront of the Kanji E as recomended. I have the drive set at about 10 oclock and a slight volume boost. This gives me what I think is a Gilmour kinda feel with a little delay thown in the mix. You can also dial in a good Clapton woman tone or a singing sustain reminisant of Santana. Satriani, Vai, and Johnson is in there too. I play alot of different styles of music in a worship band; jazz, blues, rock, and sometimes get a little funky. I use a Timmy or Sparkle Drive for most of my rhythm stuff with an RC booster. The Kanji's give a really good singing smooth OD/distortion. One note can ring for ever if your careful with the feed back. I don't notice any change in my over all tone. I think they are very amp like. The only thing I think the "pedal' changes is the warmth of your sound. My set up has a bright sound but the Kanjis warm it up real good. The only catch is, the way I have the Classic Distortion set up I can't just switch to it. The settings are off. I use it to boost the Kanji E. If I use it alone its two quite. If you use it alone you have to bump the volume or boost it with a clean boost. Another thing I noticed is when running both of the kanji's the glass control will brighten the sound even more than just one pedal by its self, its like have double the glass available when they are both on.

19. peterjh85

peterjh85 Supporting Member

The main thing keeping me from using his pedals is how the Kanji Eternity I had reacted to buffers after it. If I engaged anything buffered after the Kanji E, the tone would get so shrill - like night and day difference. Of the many overdrive and distortions I've used, none have ever brightened up so much like the Kanji Eternity when using a buffered pedal after it. I've read somewhere it has something to do with the high output impedance that doesn't work well with buffered effects.

20. DSnellen79

DSnellen79 Supporting Member

I didn't know that. I don't have anything after mine except delays and sometime soon modulation. Thats something to think about.