Thoughts on the Mojo Hand Crosstown Fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by billyg121, Jun 3, 2013.

1. billyg121

billyg121 Member

I just picked up a Colossus from Prymaxe and love it! It's got me intrigued to try the Crosstown, as I still consider myself more of a fuzz face guy. The body knob looks interesting. I would love to hear from people who have tried out the Crosstown and how it compared to other fuzz face pedals . Thanks !

2. Plaidstricken

Plaidstricken Member

Stupid good. A lot of gain/sustain on tap. For not being a silicon fuzz guy, I love this pedal.

3. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

I am loving the Colossus, too, Billy! :)

Picked up an Iron Bell last week.

Really enjoying the Mojo Hand Fuzz Buzz at the moment. :aok

4. billyg121

billyg121 Member

Yeah this Colossus has really won me over. Just awesome! I have a few other fuzz face type of pedals, and wondering how the Crosstown compares.

5. hazmat33

hazmat33 Supporting Member

I recently picked up a used Crosstown and it works so well in a band mix (due to the body control) it allowed me to sell off my white dot Sunlion and pocket a lot of $$$.

At least for me, it works that well!

6. amphead777

amphead777 Member

The Crosstown is an excellent Hybrid Fuzz Face. The body control gives it another dimension, as opposed to the Foxrox Hybrid which I like as well. Mojo Hand is hot, may as well go along for the ride.

7. la noise

Wow..... offed a Sunlion because the Crosstown is that GOOD????!!!

8. billyg121

billyg121 Member

There are so many fuzz faces out there, and the Crosstown seems to have a feature set that stands it out above the rest. I own many fuzz faces. I usually run them into a clean boost TS type of pedal. It helps tighten the bass and chop off some of the flub. It seems at least on paper , the body control really helps shape it to various rigs, pups etc. dammit!! Just when I thought I was done with fuzzes! Lol! Looks like I may need to start saving.😄

9. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

I love my Colossus and I had it cranked earlier, boosted by my Bogner Blue. The Colossus really give my Clyde Wah an incredibly wide sweep. It actually makes my Wah sound better.

10. billyg121

billyg121 Member

Cool Chris ! I haven't tried boosting it with the Blue yet. I will give it a go. Does it still stay pretty quiet? Hey Hazmat...I would like to hear how it compared to the Sunlion as well.

11. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

Put the preamp on 'n' for optimum silence. This way, the Blue adds no noise whatsoever to this stack. I didn't realise it had Timmy-like tendencies, with a Mid pot. Blue > Colossus is the way to go. Even my NYC Big Muff sounded pretty good boosted by the Blue. Mojo Hand is definitely on a roll, BIG TIME. The sad thing is, it makes the Blue's boost channel sound dead in comparison.

12. hazmat33

The Sunlion was amazing, esp when working the gtr vol knob. Great clean up when low, nice drive when dialed back slightly, and ripping solo tone when fully open. All this at home...BUT...at rehearsal and on stage I got lost in the mix a bit. I'm in an original rootsy, bluesy, psyche band and run a Mesa Blue Angel just shy of breakup so I think I have a good platform. The way I got it to cut through was to leave the Beano on all the time on the low setting. It did sound awesome this way and I know this is how some people get their tone (Marc Ford for example).

I can get the same tone or extremely close with just the Crosstown. And I can use my boost independent. I didn't want to have the Sunlion at that price and that pedalboard realestate when the Crosstown was the perfect solution for me.

Again, I know some will get different results. For me, at practice and on a stage is the way I judge any gear. Everything sounds good in my basement.

13. billyg121

billyg121 Member

Thanks hazmat!

14. la noise

Yeah.... what, Billy, said. Thanks, hazmat! :)

15. la noise

Nice to know the Bogner Blue is good for something, Chris!! <snicker-snicker> ;)

Not much luck here boosting my Fuzzes before. I have had to resort to placing boosts/od's after my fuzzes and muffs.

16. billyg121

billyg121 Member

That was pretty much the kind of comparison I was looking for. Not sure how much I would use the tone control, but to be able to dial out some woofiness sounds fantastic!

17. thekeefus

thekeefus Supporting Member

Crosstown is amazing. I have a Big Green Pi, Custom Muff, JHS Mini Foot Fuzz, and a Hendrix Fizz Face....the Crosstown sees more use than any of them.

18. hazmat33

I like the BMF Effects Fat Bastard boost before my Crosstown. This allows me to keep my volume turned down a bit so it's not woolly but thickens it up a bit for boosted rhythm parts or solos. Then roll volume full open for all out fuzzy goodness.

19. billyg121

billyg121 Member

I have a fat bastard as well . Great boost! I'm sure more of u fuzz heads have tried the crosstown . Chime in if you have.

20. JP~)

JP~) Member

Mine is velcro'd and the only time it comes off the board is to change the battery. The EQ section is brilliant, and it still sounds like a fuzzface. I also have their Taco Bell Muff.