Tim Shaw Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GuitarDiscountCenter, Dec 27, 2007.

1. GuitarDiscountCenter

GuitarDiscountCenter Member

I was wonder how do you know if an early 80s gibson pickup is a tim shaw or not? Any links?

2. justabubba

justabubba Member

i have no idea how accurate this information is:

this site has a photo:
    http://www.gibson-talk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104941

3. GuitarDiscountCenter

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I don't have one, just a standard T top. The pat numbuer stamp only shows a 2 so I thought it might be something special. I thing the plate wasn't pressed all the way.

4. Jeeves

Jeeves Supporting Member

This is what Walter Carter at Gruhn wrote me in an email in response to the same question:

Here’s something I wrote back in the 1990s…
    http://www.gibson.com/magazines/amplifier/1999/1/mainevent1.html

In a more recent interview with Shaw, he said that there were no special markings on the “Shaw” pickups. They would have enamel-coated wire and Alnico II pickups. The II’s were entirely machined and were shiny all over. The Alnico V’s were not machined and have a pebbly texture.

Tim said there is no “where-used” document listing the models that had those pickups. The LP Standard 80 and 80 Elite had them. He said anything with a 17 degree peghead and one-piece mahogany neck, which would have been any of the reissue or semi-reissues, including the ES-335DOT and the ‘62 SG (as well as the Les Pauls), would have had his pickups.

No “Shaw” pickups had a T-top bobbin.

Basically, these were the first step toward the PAF reissues.

5. GuitarDiscountCenter

That is some great info!

6. Twangmaster

Twangmaster Member

Resurrecting an old thread here to find out what some Tim Shaw Humbuckers are worth nowadays... I've got a pair with gold covers, in great shape. Numbers are (ink stamped) 372883 (bridge) and 373883 (neck). I'm thinking hard about putting these up for sale, but can only find prices on Ebay which are ridiculously high. Hoping someone on here might enlighten me to a reasonable asking price.

Pics are here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

Everything I've heard mentions the ink stamp. I have an 80 LP and was missing one of the Shaws. Found one on ebay for $100, but that was probably a year ago. I'd think $150 would be reasonable, but I really haven't kept up much on these. They do sound great though!

8. WoodyTone com

WoodyTone com Member

Anyone know if the above means that every 1980 Standard has Shaws? Asking because I just bought a 1980 Standard, pat no stamped on the back and date code inked ("Feb 5 1980") but no other ink. Guitar sounds incredible, and I would love to know what the pickups are.

9. Twangmaster

Twangmaster Member

Are you sure that inked code is a date? They sound like Shaws to me...

10. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Supporting Member

These are in my 74 (done in 84 or so); Interesting potting on the bridge pup.

[​IMG]

11. tonedawg

tonedawg Member

People are going to react to this but yes I traded a beat real 57 les paul for a 30th anniversary les paul because the 30th anniversary les paul sounded amazing. At the time just being a kid still in college I thought it was a great deal. The real les paul need mucho work and the pickups needed to be rewound and it didn't sound very good. So I made the trade cause the 30th anniversary sounded amazing. Thus I started my love affair with the 137 138 series shaws, I have collected other shaws from that period but nothing sounds as good as the 137 138 series... at least to me. I have two sets of them one from the original 30th anniversary I bought, and those everyone is amazed with. I will say this that there is a very well known vintage dealer
    who has been in business since the 70s that has sold tons over vintage fender and Gibson. You could sit in his store with a vintage 59 les paul, flying V and so on and he has a totally nonchalant attitude towards them, but when he worked on my 69 LP and installed those pickups he couldn't stop raving, I never seen him like that over any guitar.

12. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

Is Tim Shaw still making pickups?

13. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Gold Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more. I have a set of 137/138 '83's in my '76 SG Standard that I used to replace the original Tarbacks. Totally transformed that guitar.

HOWEVER - I also have a pickup that has all the physical characteristics of a Shaw, but no ink stamp. This pickup was in the neck position of my 30th Anniversary LP when I bought it. I think it was the only original part on the guitar other than the wood and the tailpiece inserts. THAT pickup is the BEST sounding PAF I have EVER heard - subjective, I know, but I've been around a few guitars in my life. I pulled the pickup from the 30th in favor of real PAFs, and I'll tell ya honestly the Shaw sounds every bit as good as the PAF it was designed to emulate.

That Shaw (and yes I'm callin' it a Shaw) is now on my bench getting ready to join a Fralin rewound T-Top (done in '89 with vintage P-90 mag) in an '81 ES-335 DOT I just acquired that came w/ non original pickups (WCR Darkburst/Crossroads). I can't wait for the result!!

Shaws man. Shaws.

14. Mike9

Mike9 Gold Supporting Member

Not all Shaw pickups had ink stamps, but believe they all did have white plastic spacers instead of the traditional maple ones.

15. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Supporting Member

In a Gamma Ray deflection lab on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I had an 84 Custom with Shaws .... I couldn't believe how good the guitar sounded and figured they had to be aftermarket, but I popped them out and found out about the Shaw tone. It's the real deal for a Les Paul!

16. The REAL Rocker

The REAL Rocker Member

------------Shaws didn't show up in every guitar that Gibson made during this time period, and there was several different humbuckers that Gibson was using during the 1980 time period. As for the actual dated pickup, that has been a bane of disagreement among Gibson fans. Some say that they are Shaws, but there was a run of pickups that were called Dated T-Tops, and these were made in small batches. The actual date was supposedly when the batch was made, and I have seen small runs from 1979 as well. Gibson doesn't seem to have a clue(company was sold soon after this time period), and It seems the only way to ascertain the difference is to take both pickups and disassemble both to map the differences, and most people haven't EVER seen both makes, much less want to destroy two pickups to be sure of their true Id.........................The REAL Rocker.

17. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Supporting Member

In a Gamma Ray deflection lab on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    My first 84 LP Custom had stickers on the black plastic ... I think it was pat applied for or something.
    My second 84 LP has no stickers, but does have the ink stamped shaws.

It was my understanding that LP Customs all got shaws while other models didn't .... well, I think Standards may have got them too. The guys on LPF have the details on it, but I can't remember them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  18. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

Original shaw from an 84 lp studio - maple neck and alder body for those keeping score.

[​IMG]

19. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Hey Dr. TB........do you still have that '84 cherryburst LPC? What do you think of it and how does it compare to other LP's you've owned/played?

20. FFTT

FFTT Member

My Black '85 Dot Studio Standard has them.

Sounds like a Les Paul should to me!

I bugged my old friend for 10 years before
    he finally let me buy it from him.

[​IMG]