Timeline Firmware Update

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Joeldipert, Feb 1, 2012.

1. teleclem

teleclem Member

Does this mean they'll all be renamed to "preset" if I don't put in the factory names?

I haven't done the update yet (no cable) so I wanna know first.

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance Silver Supporting Member

it does seem so.

I wonder how hard it would be for the next update to make global tap assignable??

3. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Yep. If you download the update only and not the file with the factory preset names, all your patches will automatically display the name 'PRESET' until you change their names. None of your settings will be erased.

However, if you don't like that, you can always just push the encoder knob to display the bpm/ms instead; or, you can turn preset naming off in the global parameters, and then pressing the encoder knob switches between bpm/ms and Bank number, same as before the update.

4. MG90

MG90 Member

Could someone walk me through using my Presonus Firepod (FP10) as my interface on a pc with xp?

Please?

5. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance Silver Supporting Member

OK so i just had a play with new update and........ well done Strymon! :aok me equals very happy!

6. Figher53

Figher53 Supporting Member

Everything I wanted and MORE! Fantastic job, Strymon.

7. snouter

snouter Member

I had to leave the OPTIONS in SendSX at 100ms for the firmware update to take. But it is now v1.23! :drool

8. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy! Gold Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing :rotflmao

I know it's disappointing to not be able to update though. I went through that, but eventually got it to work.

9. más_fuerte

más_fuerte Supporting Member

I'm headed to GC now to pick up a new one, hopefully it'll work!

10. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator Staff Member

Can one of you fine gentlemen please PM me a Link regarding the Midi Interface process for the Timeline? I have a Dell computer that I would use for the Update, but have absolutely no clue as to how to proceed, and I'm not familiar with SysEx at all. I just ordered a cable like the one posted.....but I'm not the most tech oriented person.

I don't have any personal pre-sets on my Timeline.....so I'm just looking for the ability to hook it up, update, then play....if that's possible:huh

Thanks!

11. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

the step-by-step doc is in the zip file: http://www.strymon.net/wp-content/uploads/updates/TL_FirmwareUpdate.zip

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  12. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator Staff Member

13. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Supporting Member

Just did the update, but won't be able to play with it until tonight's rehearsal. I have a question about spillover; I read Strymon's post about the four second minimum and wanted to clarify something. If I change patches and don't select another patch in the four second time-frame, then I'll get spillover? The main headache I've had with the TL was using two different delay settings in one song and the effected signal drop-off was a bummer. I would be keeping a new patch for at least 4 seconds, but for those first four seconds into the new patch, is my guitar's real-time signal (in regards to the TL's effected signal) not being processed until after the looping four seconds?

From Strymon's site: "...TimeLine enables spillover by recording the wet signal and playing it back when a new patch is selected. When a new patch is selected, the wet signal from the first patch is 'looped' at the first patch's delay time interval, and played back while reducing in level based on the repeats value. In addition, the spillover signal is ramped down over a time period of 4 seconds. By 'looping' the wet signal, spillover can occur without the requirement of two simultaneous processors needed to run two algorithms.
    When changing patches, the spillover delay needs to complete its fade-out before the spillover buffer can start recording the new patch's wet signal. This means that switching patches quicker than 4 seconds will result in no spillover.
    If the Repeats are set to zero, there will be no spillover signal as the spillover signal is multiplied by the Repeats..."

14. dave12

I'm not sure if this answers your question or not (let me know), but I believe what Pete is talking about here is that if you are playing Bank 1A and want to switch to Bank 1B (or whatever bank) and have the spillover effect, you had to have been playing Bank 1A for at least 4 seconds because that's the length of time the looper needs to record your dry signal. If you haven't been playing Bank 1A for 4 seconds, it won't have time to loop for the spillover. Your dry signal WILL still be processed as normal.

Other than that, the spillover should work in any other situation (unless the repeats are at zero).

15. ChaseTMP

If the spillover has been enabled and I switch banks, am I playing in the new bank's delay engine in real-time, while the preceding processed sound is trailing off? or am I in four second limbo looping land?

16. dave12

The first one. No limbo land. The new bank's delay is processing your signal in real time while the last bank's delay is trailing.

17. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

Is there anyone planning on NOT updating their Timeline?

18. ChaseTMP

Cool, Thanks! Can't wait to use it tonight!

19. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Not sure why anyone wouldn't.

20. 4nd3h

4nd3h Supporting Member

UNLESS you were only on the first patch for less than 4 seconds.

Switching from patch A to patch B, Patch A needs to have been on for 4 seconds to trail, otherwise you will switch right to Patch B, from my understanding.