Timeline Firmware Update

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Joeldipert, Feb 1, 2012.

1. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Huh, not internet in my apartment except for my Droid. Guess I have to drag my wife's laptop, my TL, a MIDI cable, and a powersupply to Starbucks to get some wifi. :huh

Question though- the update is just in the first nonadobe file that was in that download? Being the idiot I am, I have my settings saved in 90-99, so I either havevto copy and paste them to 0-10 or not update the presets at all, and I'd rather the latter. Not a big fan of just about any of the factory presets, I guess I am just a do it myself kinda guy.

2. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy! Gold Supporting Member

The post you quoted was a continuation of a post above. I clarified that earlier.

3. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy! Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd copy/paste if I were you. I did the same thing too. I don't really know why, but I had to move mine. It doesn't take all that long.

4. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Using the same one and I've tried it a dozen times and have been "loading" for 20 minutes. :cry:

5. TonePowers

TonePowers Member

Make sure to only plug the To Midi In and not both.

6. flashroy87

flashroy87 Member

Hmm, maybe I missed this, but what do I need to do backup my presets in order to update factory names and then reinstall my presets?

7. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

Me either. I was just wondering.

I've ordered my USB to Midi cable off amazon and just waiting for it to arrive. As soon as it does, I will be naming presets! Pretty stoked about that.

8. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Yeah. I need to sit down and start naming mine now.

9. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

I have an excel sheet on my Mac with the names of all my presets but I really need to shorten them. I don't think I want my preset names to scroll so I am trying to get all mine down to 6 characters. So much easier said than done!

The rest of the updates are cool but I don't really use global tap tempo or the looper.

I only use my DMC-2 to change banks.

The spillover is pretty sweet though.

10. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

^^ You can have more than 6 characters. The TL will scroll through the entire name if you want too. Check my YouTube page for a quick video on that.

11. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i guess the last question i would have would be if it's possible to change the volume of the Looper playback with just the Expression pedal jack, or is it MIDI CC only?

12. 4nd3h

4nd3h Supporting Member

16 characters scrolling.

13. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

I understand that, I was just saying I am not sure if I want my names to scroll. I guess I can just play around with it and see if I like it.

14. golguth

golguth Member

Hello, the update went fine but I cannot update the factory presets names.
    Seems to send the file correctly but nothing has changed on the timeline (presets 55-100)... any advice on this (little) issue ?

15. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

So, did you guys just highlight all three files, then press play to update? I did, and my Timeline finished but didn't restart. Instead, it just displayed a "G" on the screen. When I powered it back up, it was in test mode. Now, I'm trying to just install the firmware update only, and it's stuck on "loading" even though the file is done transmitting. How long did it sit, saying "loading" for you guys? I guess I'll slow down the speed, then try again...

Edit: Never mind. In my haste, I forgot to scroll down to see that the instructions say to install the three files separately. Lol. Still trying with the speed reduced. I'm using a MacBook and the same shitty $5 MIDI-USB that was posted earlier. Might be driving to G.C. soon...

AH! Success!!!! Throttled speed down to 53%... Worked a treat. Just took a couple minutes. Now to try the preset updates...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  16. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I just followed the instructions and did one at a time. Worked fine. Try reinitializing it.

17. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

You only need to upload one of the preset files. The '_fact' one updates all of the factory presets and will overwrite any presets you have made if you reinitialize the Timeline. The '_user' one only updates presets in banks 50-100, so any presets you have created in lower banks won't be affected.

Neither of the updates will wipe your user presets unless you reinitialize the Timeline by holding down 'A' and 'Tap' for 5 seconds when you power up.

All of this is in the readme file. :rolleyes:

18. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I just got everything to work fine. Yay for the piece of crap cable! I was too impatient, and didn't look carefully enough at the instructions. Scrolling down helped. Lol. :bonk I'm easily frustrated when I'm in the mood to play and have to deal with 21st century technology.

19. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Supporting Member

FYI, I bought an M-audio Uno from GC, one download and it uploaded perfectly. Must have been the cable.

20. traviswalk

traviswalk Back in the Great State Gold Supporting Member

:aok