Tri-Stereo Chorus pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ChorusCrackpot, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

There has been word of the Suhr Bella Chorus which was rumoured to be out at the mid-year NAMM, and said to have a tri-stereo chorus mode.

I have also seen note of Fromel Electronics considering on cloning the Dyno-My-Piano Tri-Stereo Chorus into a pedal.

Are there still plans to bring this to fruition?

2. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Are there?

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Egomaniac Silver Supporting Member

Maybe contact those builders directly?

4. jfromel

jfromel Member

Anyone want to loan me their tri-stereo for a few weeks? I have always wanted to take this project on but can't my hands on one.

5. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Hehe, in fact John it was your thread on another forum from two years ago, that I just saw the other day and what inspired this thread. ;)

There is a bloke named John (John Ou, posts as "andergtr") at the Huge Racks Inc. forum, that owns an original Dyno My Piano Tri-Stereo Chorus/Splitter 618, the earlier version. It has been written that it sounds the best of the three tri-stereo units released, the other being the 'Dytronics' CS-5 Tri-Stereo Chorus/Splitter, and 'Songbird' 1380S (all by DMP). Also to note that Mike Landau uses the 618 version. John bought the 618 from another HRI member called Phil ("PhilC"). I actually have some clips of that particular unit that Phil recorded and sent to me as per my request.

If you like I can contact them or at least bring your request to their attention. Actually I might just write up a post there now asking if anyone rents them out. Although they might be biased towards Suhr since they are all leaning towards the Bella Chorus fulfilling their rack-tri-stereo pipe dreams at the moment! who knows....

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Supporting Member

The thing I'm interested in about the Bella Chorus is the Tri-Stero Mode and the Leslie sim function.

7. JoeyHarley

JoeyHarley Member

does tri stereo mean it outputs to left/center/right?

8. jfromel

jfromel Member

From what I have read it sounds like the Shur chrous will be a good competitor to the Strymon Ola - I have two Strymons but have yet to hear their chorus (can't really bring myself to put someone elses chorus on my board. However if their chorus sounds as analog as their delay does then it will sound great.

The Ola has a multi-mode - not sure if that's a dual delay line (like a DC-2, SDD-320, or my Seraph) or if it's a tri stereo mode. Perhaps Terry will chime in.

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Egomaniac Silver Supporting Member

No.

10. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Gold Supporting Member

Nope..

I had the Songbird TSC for about 7 yrs in my old bradshaw rig.. It has a single rate knobs and L/C/R depth controls. When I was in my "Huff / Landau worship mode" I used it constantly. I've never heard anything that quite sounds like it ( including the TC 1210 ).. if you're after THOSE session guy's chorus tone - all ya gotta do is turn it on ;)

11. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

as a chorus aficionado, and having owned and operated the TC 1210 back when it came out (traded a nice GUITAR for that sucker when it was released) - all i can say is that i can't WAIT to hear what John Suhr is cooking up :love:

i have played thru a tri-stereo chorus, but have not been lucky enough to own one.

the tC1210, when split into stereo, is a thing of beauty.

:bow

12. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Supporting Member

But the Dyno-My-Piano Tri-Stereo Chorus 618 is the holy grail if I'm not mistaken.

13. zachman

zachman Senior Member

They're just different, but I do use the Tri-chorus patch on my Eventide all the time in combination with the 1210 for some nice tones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One day I'll get me a TSC, to add to the stable.

14. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Indeed it is, yet often the big rack session guys used micro-pitch shifting with Eventide Harmonisers and Yamaha SPX-90s as well as those Lexicon reverb units, plus also the compression & EQ and those twangy modified Strats....so sometimes I wonder if the Tri-Stereo Chorus unit is actually even contributing much to that famed chorus sound....

I think the special thing about the Tri-Stereo, is that even when on a slow rate, it has this special "rippling" sound to it, the sound actually feels like water rippling up and down and side to side, rather than just a thin sound wave pitching up and down. When you turn the rate down, the sound starts panning left and right.

There's a demo video on YouTube of the Dytronics version, where the "Chorus 1" Right channel doesn't sound chorusy on its own, but the "Chorus 2" and "Chorus 3" (centre and left respectively) do....? Is that just a mix thing?

15. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

How do they differ?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  16. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I haven't heard of the Ola, or even Strymon in fact. I'll have to check them out.

Are you still considering on cloning the Tri-Stereo?

I wonder if it's possible to have three delay lines each with their own LFO, but where the central LFO has a sine wave and the left & right LFOs are trapezoidal? And that each delay line has its own rate, width, and delay time controls?

17. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Well, going by this feedback, I hope the Suhr Bella is not at all like the Ola.....

18. zachman

zachman Senior Member

Bottom line is-- they (The 1210 and Tri-Stereo Chorus), sound different.
    A LOT different. Tonally, texturally, and spatial expansiveness.

19. zachman

zachman Senior Member

why not?

[​IMG]

20. rsm

rsm Supporting Member

TC Electronic Nova Modulator has a tri-chorus. Worth a look IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.