TS808 vs Boss SD-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by peaveydriver, Apr 19, 2009.

1. peaveydriver

peaveydriver Member

I've been shopping for an 808 and found some info claiming that the SD-1 is functionally the same, but much cheaper. School me?:huh
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/1108597094.html
    Boss SD-1 Distortion Overdrive Pedal Tube Screamer TS-808 - $35 (Chandler Az)

Reply to: sale-yfeyk-1108597094@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Date: 2009-04-05, 3:29PM MST

Boss SD-1 Distortion Overdrive Pedal. Works great! This pedal is just like a Tube screamer Has the famous JRC 4558 chip. Get the Tubescreamer sound for much less!

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    [​IMG] [​IMG]http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-1404904.html
    bucky
    10-15-2006, 07:39 AM

Very similar circuits, just some changed component values. One pedal can be modded to be the other.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/bucky_guitar/Schematics/SD-1TS-808.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

Both circuits are very similar and the SD-1 can be modded to sound like an 808 and way beyond.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

SD-1 is thinner and buzzier with less mid boost in stock form.
    Try a Bad Monkey.

4. stratballa

stratballa Member

I am in denial. I refuse to believe that :(

5. NetStar

NetStar Member

With a couple of (very cheap) component changes, they are the same pedal.

6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Supporting Member

I like the SD-1 better.

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The SD-1 and TS-808 have the same basic circuit, yes. The SD-1 is different in a couple of places, giving it more gain and a sharper, brighter sound. You can relatively easy mod the Boss into a makeshift 808, but it will always have more gain (unless you also replace the drive pot).

8. peaveydriver

peaveydriver Member

Ok, I appreciate the scoop.:AOK

9. KBN

KBN Member

The SD-1 is one of my favorite pedals and so much fun to tinker with. I own two at the moment and have them modded a little differently. If we are talking about stock pedals, I would probably have to go with the tubescreamer though.

10. zestystrat

zestystrat Supporting Member

I have a AM modded SD-1 Silver TS808 mod with the push/pull knob and it's blows away the TS's: both the AM & Keeley. Not sure why but it just does.

The SD-1 was originally boss's answer to the TS (no doubt some one will correct me on that if the SD-1 came out 1st - but I'm pretty sure on this). One has symmetrical clipping the other has asymmetrical clipping, otherwise very close.

The push pull mod gives you the option for both and I have to say I love the boss clipping.

11. nnick

nnick Supporting Member

I like the SD-1 better. I have been using a stock SD-1 for about 19 years. I recently added a Keeley modded SD-1 which sounds killer also.

12. jgyn

jgyn Member

With a wide paintbrush:

Blues? TS-808.
    Rock? SD-1.

13. DanR

DanR Silver Supporting Member

That's what I thought also, although I can't remember which was which.

14. tripp2k

tripp2k Silver Supporting Member

The SD-1 is an extremely under appreciated pedal even in stock MIT form. If I had to sell off everything and start over again (and do so inexpensively), the SD-1 would be the first purchase I'd make right after a Blues Jr. I'd do this even though I have an Ibby TS-9 sitting somwhere in my crap closet growing some mojo. To me, it does the pushing an amp on the verge of breakup better than a stock TS-9 :rimshot. IMHO, it is more of a boost than a gain pedal.

There, I said it. Let the flames begin.

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Ah Peaveydriver - which TS-808 tubescreamer are you talking about.

There's lots of em made by Ibanez and Maxon and others. TS-808's, TS-9's, OD-9's blah blah blah - all tubescreamer clones sounding very similar.

The best one's IMHO are the mod'ed Ibanez and Maxon TS's sold by Keeley and Analogman. Most stock Boss pedals are hissy tone suckers with poor quality buffers.

16. ninjaaron

ninjaaron Member

For classic TS sounds on the cheaps, Bad Monkey > SD-1

17. ninjaaron

ninjaaron Member

Or so the legend says.

:rolleyes:

18. Griz

Griz Member

:agree

19. zestystrat

zestystrat Supporting Member

From http://www.analogman.com/boss.htm goes without saying that Mike is talking about his mods but the info is still helpful on the clipping issue.

The yellow SD-1 has the same basic design as a Tube screamer but with asymmetrical clipping. We can leave the clipping as-is (Boss style asymmetrical clipping) if you wish, but we normally change it to the Ibanez (symmetrical) style on my standard SD-1/808 mod. Ibanez told me that Roland (Boss) has a patent on asymmetrical clipping, which gives it a bit more volume, harmonics, and crunch. With Ibanez style clipping, it sounds similar to a TS-808, but still has a touch more edge and drive available. With Boss style, it gets yet a bit more volume, edge, and harmonics.

20. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Supporting Member

I have the same pedal from Analogman and haven't used it in awhile. If anyone wants to try it.. I'm selling it for 75$ shipping and all.
    Unless someone has a buffer to trade.