Upgrade pickups for SX bass:

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by tubetone74, Apr 9, 2012.

1. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

I'd like to know who got what and why and finally what do you think of the results? Please no responses like: " the stock pickups are perfectly fine" etc. :} Thanks!!

2. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

I put a GFS pickup in my Samick P Bass and am quite happy with it. I chose it b/c it was highly reviewed and cheap and I didn't want to put a bunch of money into a cheap bass.

3. Hairpin Turns

Hairpin Turns Member

I put some Lindy Fralins in my SX short scale bass, it was a definite improvement

4. thirsty one

thirsty one Member

I've done nothing to mine, but I am interested in learning what good upgrades are out there.

subscribed

5. mordechaister

mordechaister Member

Duncans or Dimarzios have my vote, especially if you can find used. Lollars or Novaks and high end stuff like that seems a little too nice for an SX, where as something like GFS seem like a change but not exactly an upgrade to the stock pickups. I'd also check out Wilde pickups, the price is definitely right and the quality is awesome.

6. tubetone74

I opened the control plate and there are 500k mini pots. I'm changing those out to 250k std size and put a push/pull on the neck volume one for series and parallel on the pickups. Thinking of going w/ Dimarzios.

7. Ishouldbeking

Ishouldbeking Member

As far as I'm concerned, you can't do better than the Seymour Duncan Vintage P-bass pickup in terms of price to performance ratio. I've got a Nordstrand Precision pickup as well which also sounds fantastic, but the Duncan actually sounds a little better to my ears and is about half the price. To compare the two, the Duncan sounds incredibly authentic as a vintage Fender replica while the Nordy sounds just a hair more modern, with the slightest hint of scooped mids. We're talking miniscule scoopage and the pickup still sounds incredible, but a few other people have heard the same thing as well over at Talkbass. I can't comment on J pickups, though I know the Nordstrands are very well liked.

8. Ishouldbeking

Ishouldbeking Member

As far as other upgrades that may or may not be worth it, depending on your taste and needs: wiring upgrade can make a big difference (you can order assembled wiring harnesses complete with better pots, wires, and tone capacitors), a better bridge can increase sustain if you're interested in that, and a higher quality nut can be a good thing. The cheap plastic nut on my SX Precision cracked on its own after a few months of playing; my tech installed a bone nut which I found to be a significant upgrade. The tuners are generally fine as long as your nut slots are cut properly.

9. tubetone74

Just wired up a new control plate w/ 250k pots and push pull . Dimarzios coming in this week. Anyone want these SX pickups? They read 7.75 and 8.5k on resistance and have magnet bars on the bottom. I'd take 25. shipped.

10. tubetone74

I put a pair of the Dimarzio 249 Area J 's in it. Sound good but the bridge sounds microphonic. Anyone else had this experience?

11. JimInMO

JimInMO Member

Fender 62 RI's in my short scale jazz. Big improvement. Haven't changed the wiring. Was going to but see/hear no need to now