USA Men's Olympic Basketball: Why is it not on TV?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2HBStrat, Jul 30, 2012.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I was under the impression that all on the USA Men's Olympic Basketball games were to be shown in their entirety on ESPN2 but there was a game yesterday and I couldn't find it anywhere!

Anyone know if these games are being televised, and on what channel?

Thanks!

2. mge80

mge80 Member

NBC has exclusive Olympic coverage. ESPN is owned by ABC. While I don't have the schedule in front of me (it can be found at NBCOlympics.com), the game would have been on an NBC channel...NBC, MSNBC, Universal, etc.

You can check that website above, look under "TV listings" and then "Listing by Sport" and find all games, times and channel.

(I went and looked it up. It was on NBCSN...NBC Sports Network, Channel 603 on DirecTV...check your provider for what it might be on your cable/satellite, if different..., broadcast live at 8:30am (CDT where I live) yesterday.)

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Thank You!

4. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

The game was definitely aired on one of the NBC affiliates yesterday.

I think it was on ESPN Radio also in NY.

5. mge80

mge80 Member

USA's next game, as far as I can tell by looking it up on that schedule, is tomorrow, Tues the 31st, at 4:15pm CDT, against Tunisia, on that same channel, NBCSN--603 on DirecTV.

6. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I have cable, and I'm pretty sure I don't even get that channel....:mad:

7. mge80

mge80 Member

Go to that website. They will take you through some steps to see what provider you have and what channels you get. Then, it allows you to register to see streaming via the website.

At least by doing that you'll know what's what and at least be set up to stream if all else fails.

8. RichieD

RichieD Member

Backlash for (first Kobe's and now) Lebron's asinine comments that this team could beat the original Dream Team. But we've already covered that here.

9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

What idiots are running NBC? Why are they putting arguably the most popular Olympic event on a channel that ONLY DirecTV viewers get? Does that make sense?

10. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Supporting Member

After reading TGP this morning I thought no one watched the Olympics anyway. ;)

It is available to everyone online for free. They are currently getting the highest ratings of any televised non-USA hosted Olympics, much better than 2008, they must be doing something right, my guess is that the average Olympics viewer is just not as interested in basketball, you have to remember many people watching the Olympics are not typical sports watchers.

11. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

This is totally false. It's standard with most cable packages as far as I can tell.

I have it & I'm not a DirecTV user... I use a regional cable provider & have fairly standard/low level services.

Check your local listings or Google it based on your cable provider + area.

12. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

I have Comcast cable tv and USA vs Spain was on two channels at once yesterday. There is an OBSK channel (895 for me) that is only olympic basketball.

13. CowTipton

CowTipton Member

NBC
    Bravo
    NBCSports
    MSNBC
    CNBC

and one of the Spanish channels.

They're all carrying Olympics events.

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

The website shows our local NBC affiliate as the source for the games. The will probably show parts of some of the games as they move from event to event. They are showing the Russia/Brasil women's game right now.

15. Plaid Sabbath

Plaid Sabbath Silver Supporting Member

The game was on early yesterday morning...8:30 am CDT.

16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I didn't start looking for the game quite that early. However, when I did start it was in the fourth quarter (they were showing scoring updates on ESPN) and the game wasn't on any channel that I get. I plan to call my cable TV provider and hopefully get some answers.

17. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

A person from my High School is playing in the Olympics for the Men's Basketball Team (Nigeria). So awesome.

18. rcl

rcl Member

Took me a while to find it, but directv has 750-overview. 751 soccer, 752 basketball. Or I might have that backwards.

19. mge80

mge80 Member

As others have indicated, this is not a DirecTV only deal. Other cable and satellite providers have these channels.

Besides, only these early prelim games are parked on these secondary NBC channels. By the time the medal round rolls around (which is "arguably" then only time anyone but the die hard fan cares about), the games will all be on NBC.

20. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

Oh for the Days when it was "amateur athletes" as intended.