Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe Tone Help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wavey63, Mar 12, 2010.

1. wavey63

wavey63 Member

I just bought the Micro Vibe by voodoo Labs and have to say I am a bit disappointed. It sound very trebly when engaged. Anyone know of how to fatte up the tone? If no is the Fulltone Deja Vibe or Lovepedal pickle any better? I want the Trower tone and am nowhere near it with the Voodoo labs.

2. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Gold Supporting Member

Where in your signal chain is the pedal? What gtr/amp are you using? These factors will affect your sound. I've had one on my pedalboard for years, and it does the Trower tone just fine.

3. 4styx

4styx Member

I thought is was a little trebly when I tried it at home.But in a band setting it's fine,maybe even a little dark.It sounded best before dirt.
    Turning up the trimpot inside helps give a deeper throb as well.

4. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Itis after my Barber Direct Drive and before my Carbon Copy. I have run it through a Fender Deluxe copy, a Marshall Plexi copy and an 18watt TMB clone. It sounds the same way in all situations.

5. Stratobuc

I find the vibe will sound darker when its before any dirt pedals. My chain= wah, vibe, compressor, OD, tremolo, delay. and when playing Trower - its strat with neck pickup.

6. SUPROficial

SUPROficial Member

Try putting the Micro Vibe first.
    I was pretty perplexed with mine when I tried placing it after fuzz and didn't bond with it until I put it before the fuzz.

7. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Would putting it before the fuzz make a difference even if the dirt is not on? Also I have enough throb right now. Anyone know how the Fulltone vibe might differ from the voodoo tonewise?

8. thewex

thewex Member

I agree- recently I've placed it much earlier in my chain, and it sounds better. I'm also thinking about getting the JHS tru-vibe mod though.

9. bgoez

bgoez Silver Supporting Member

They are quite different.. The fulltone has more variety and range. I've played through both and I have the Micro. It does what I need and it's small. I put the compressor in front to boost it. If you use a dark guitar with it... mush Bright guitar... pretty cool. hope that helps.

10. bratch

bratch Supporting Member

I found it to be trebley as well, but I realized it was only because I had a buffered pedal before it. Now, I find it is very thick and not bright at all. I've also realized that it sounds better in front of some fuzzes and behind others. Rats!

11. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

My Voodoo Micro Vibe sounded like a box of mud. I GAVE mine away and am on the KR Mega Vibe list. Fulltone's deja 2 is the next best thing, Pickle vibe for a great temp fix! Next steps down are the BBE Soul Vibe and Dunlop Stereo Chorus Vibe. These are not definitive however as there's a galaxy of vibe pedals out there that do their own thing just as well, maybe better. Check search mode here.

12. trower

trower Supporting Member

Interesting! I think the gear and set-up has alot more effect on the performance on these than I imagined. I've owned a few of these and have always considered them as one of the finest Vibes under a $100 used and even recommend them. I would say that there was a small tonal differance in 2 particular units I owned maybe due to the boards being differant (Red/Green) and a small issue with the trimmer but overall these are the finest budget Vibes. I would also add that on the high end units Ive owned, The KR Megavibe faired so poorly with my set-up, I couldn't sell it fast enough. It was and still is my biggest dissapointment for the "reputation it has" pedal. I may have had a clunker and I would like to try another to see if I get the same results but it's funny how each of our expieriences can differ day/night.

BTW, Thanks for the Flange Info Purplexi.

13. Stratobuc

I've ordered an MJM Sixties Vibe, and I should get it in a couple weeks - hopefully this one will bump the Microvibe off my board. I've also added my name to the KR Megavibe list, but I can't imagine not keeping the Microvibe as a spare. Great bang for the buck!