Voodoo Power vs. Dunlop power brick

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by codeorama, Apr 6, 2009.

1. codeorama

codeorama Member

What's the difference?
    If I bought the Voodoo power supply, would I have to buy a separate cable to power an 18v pedal? I know the Dunlop supply already has the 18v spots, so nothing else is needed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

Pedal Power features all isolated outputs. I believe the DC Brick is for all intent and purposes like a power strip or daisy chain. Pedal Power is generally considered to be superior and less susceptible to noise.

You would need a Y style chord to power an 18v pedal from the PP using two of its outputs. I do this with my Memory Lane.

There is plenty of juice available on the PP to run some daisy chains from the outputs to increase the number of pedals you can run from it.

3. codeorama

codeorama Member

Thank you! That helps.

4. jam10

jam10 Member

Yeh the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 2 is great. I have one on my board right now and it works fantastic. I highly recommend the Voodoo Lab PP 2.

5. codeorama

codeorama Member

THanks, looks like I'll buy the Voodoo Lab Power Plus2 tomorrow... Thanks guys.

6. Unadan

Unadan Member

The brick is a regulated power supply, cheaper than the VL, and comes with 3 cables out of the box to power 18V pedals - nothing else needs to be purchased. So far I like it but it won't power my DMM.

7. VA_siCkBoy

VA_siCkBoy Member

I have had no problems at all with my dc-brick and it powers all my pedals with no noise.

8. cedjazz

cedjazz Member

I have both & use both on separate boards. I actually have 2 PP's.... I prefer the PP. Why? it come down to reliability. I've had both the PP's for a total of 15 years and haven't had any problems whatsoever. I've had my DC for about 3 years and it AND the transformer(on separate occasions) crapped out when powering my board for a gig. I like the fact it takes up less space, but anxiety sets in every time I power up..... both seem quiet.

9. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars Silver Supporting Member

The DC brick is nothing more than a daisy chain in a box...the PPII+ is an 8 out, isolated power supply...

10. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

This.

11. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

my dd20 makes a weird noise squealing with a dc brick or my gator 8-bus. No noise when powered by my pp2.

other than that i didn't have problems with the dc brick at all.

12. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Silver Supporting Member

I use both in my rig. Both work well and are dead quiet. The Brick is more convenient for 18v pedals.

13. Unadan

Unadan Member

The DC Brick is more than a daisy chain in a box BTW. It's about a 1000 times better than a one spot.

14. wrong.

15. ikan

ikan Member

16. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

How?

In the DC Brick, all outputs are tied together at the ground plane, while the 9vDC and 18vDC sections has separate voltage regulators (obviously). The 9vDC section has 375mA total, while the 18vDC section provides the remaining 625mA (of the 1000mA total). But, as all the outputs are tied together at the ground level, it is essentially just a daisy chain in a box. That doesn't automatically make it a bad power supply, though.

The Pedal Power 2+ has a separate transformer, rectifier/filter and regulator for each output. This means that the outputs are completely independent power supplies, all the way from the mains AC tap, with no relationship to each other.

/Andreas

17. Unadan

Unadan Member

What's the difference? Does it matter whether each output is independent or not? The bottom line is each device is getting a regulated and correct amount of power. Not sure why this even needs to be pointed out if it's true. Lastly if the 18v and 9v sections have separate voltage regulators how is that a daisy chain?

18. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Silver Supporting Member

Not quite that simple. Quiet power (i.e., free of buzzing/humming noises) is just as important. The PP2's isolated outputs make it less prone to grounding issues, and therefore more likely to be quiet. Regarding the "daisy chain" comment, I believe he was referring to the 9v outlets only. I suppose you could say that the 9v and 18v sections are two daisy chains.

Though again, in practice, both the PP2 and the DC Brick are dead quiet in my rig.

19. Tibbonds

Tibbonds Member

That's just about exactly right. At least that's what it amounts to.

I found the DC Brick to be VERY temeramental when I had it. Sometimes it was noisy as hell, other times not so much. Sometimes certain pedals wouldn't power up until I swapped the order of the leads coming out of the Brick - and that's something I can't even explain.

One thing for sure, 375ma for the 9v outlets is piss-poor. Not nearly enough juice available unless all you're powering is low current pedals like ODs and fuzzes etc.

20. Unadan

Unadan Member

It seems to power my old Boss CE-3 just fine and that pedal technically requires 12 volts.