Vox AC30CC troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gretch, Mar 19, 2009.

1. utterhack

utterhack Member

No harm in a retube, but that rectifier isn't "crappy" - it's kaput.

And if you checked the links I posted upthread, you'll understand that the tube didn't blow because it's "crappy." Rectifier tubes are pretty much commodities.

It blew because it's getting kicked in the belly every time you flip the standby switch. Any rectifier tube you put in there will do the same in time.

2. Gretch

Gretch Member

Rectifier tube has not effect on tone right?

3. mobis8

mobis8 Member

More feel...

4. HeartfeltDawn

HeartfeltDawn Member

Agreed on the feel. I used a 5Y3 in my old AC15TBX. Great feel with that.

5. Gretch

Gretch Member

Well, well...
    I received my new JJ GZ34 today, I installed it in the amp and everything seemed to be ok, but it wasn't. The Standby swich light (the green one) wasn't lighting up. A little investigation revealed that the other fuse blew at some point during this whole sage.

I'll go get one (or more) at the store tomorrow and hopefully, it will fix everything.

I'll keep you guys posted.

6. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I take it there are no Radio Shacks up there? Plenty of fuses there. Just for clarification, the Sovtek Rectifiers are sturdier than the JJs. I had a JJ in my AC30 for less than a year before it went bad. Popped in my old Sovtek (several years old) worked great. Bought a new Sovtek and put it in there and gave my old one to a bud who's JJ rec quit on him.

The only sure fire good Rec is a good NOS one -- built to last. But for new production -- Sovteks beat the JJs in the Rec department. I've spoken with several well known amp techs and they are in agreeance about the Sovtek recs.

7. Gretch

Gretch Member

Here we go guys... 3 fuses, a rectifier tube and I can now rock the casbah!

Thanks to all for the help, I really appreciated!

8. Corrode

Corrode Member

I know you fixed your problem, but just thought I'd add my 2 cents. Exact (and I mean exact) same problem happened to me. Luckily L&M gave me a one year warranty when I bought my AC30cc2x, and replaced the rectifier tube for me. I've also had the standby switch actually break on me (although I'm not using it anymore so I don't expect to run into that problem again) and now I'm hearing a rattle at low volumes and I'm thinking its something to do with the power tubes.

I blame this on globalism and VOX moving their factories to China, "under Vox's supervision". They've been putting out shoddy products ever since. Even their handwired versions are made in China. I'm a big supporter of buying local (N.A.) products, and trying not to support companies that move production to foreign companies where labour laws are lax, but I bought the AC30 anyways. Its great tone for the money, but I had to trade some of my integrity to get it. Why oh why must even music companies succomb to the temptation of the race to the bottom?

9. utterhack

utterhack Member

This has nothing to do with globalism or china, and everything to do with the nature of the AC30 beast. The rectifier/standby issue predates the CC series.

10. grateful.ed

grateful.ed Member

Would a Weber Copper Cap solve this problem?....how would this affect the feel?

I love my AC30CC but am always leary of it crapping out at the wrong time.

11. JMItones

JMItones Member

This is likely just the fuse blown. The power light would still be on if it was the tube.

12. zzmoore

zzmoore Supporting Member

As others have already said, the problem is the "standby switch". You either need to hard wire it or just leave it in the off position and never touch it again.
    Good Luck

13. Dubious

Dubious Member

ditto on the copper cap question, ive wondered if these are a good idea in these amps.

incidently next time you change the tubes take a second and grease the wooden rails with a bar of soap.. it'll slide in and out a hell of alot easier next time.

14. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

That's what I put in my son's AC30CC. I couldn't tell any difference in feel or tone, and the amp is now likely more roadworthy.