Vox Wah mod

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by astainback, Feb 7, 2006.

1. astainback

astainback Supporting Member

Did anyone mod their Vox wah themselves.. and if you did, where did you get the kit? That is.. if you did it by kit.. if you didn't do it by kit, where did you get the instructions and parts list?

I want to do the true bypass mod and maybe a voicing mod. I used to really like this wah and lately it seems a little dull. I still love it on clean sounds, but it sucks with drive/distortion.

Thanks,
    adrian

2. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Search www.diystompoxes.com (currently down), they will have some links.

I just did a physical mod on my Dunlop Hendrix (as in an hour ago). Now it's spring loaded with a bolt stopper in the back (low) position to keep it from getting too low. A real nice effect, a very mild wah where the "off" setting has a mid-pedal midrange honk. Nudging the pedal against the spring gives the mild wah tone ... very fast, or slow if you keep your foot on it.

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

4. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

I did the true bypass mod on mine. Big difference in terms of not sucking your tone when it's off. Also, I removed the rubber feet off the bottom of the rocker pedal. It gives the wah a nicer sweep, and it can be switched on and off so much easier. I think it's a great sounding wah. I'm always getting remarks from other guitar players when I'm at a gig about how good my wah sounds.

5. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

6. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I also did my true bypass using the Fulltone schematic. I think I bought the switch on Ebay.

7. astainback

Thanks stormin!!

8. astainback

Did anyone do the voicing mod?? It's the one to make the pedal more vocal?

thanks,
    adrian

9. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

I've done the voicing mod on a Cry Baby. It's pretty cool and gives the wah a lot more range. I'm back to using a Vox 847 w/ true bypass mod. I just like the Vox sound the best.

bluesaxe

10. astainback

I just finished the TB mod and the vocal mod to my wah..

The 33K to 68K vocal mod was nice!! I soldered the alligator clips like you said and tried out and compared the 33k, 68k, and 100k. 100k had some feedback on the top end... and I wasn't feeling it. I really liked the 68k setting so I soldered it in.

Thanks for the tip!!!

Anyone with the vox 847 or dunlop rev. D should try it!!

11. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Are there instructions anywhere for installing the whipple inductor or is it a no brainer?
    I've done the true bypass mod to my Vox, and will experiment with the vocal mods when I get a minute -- thinking about grabbing the whipple off ebay but how does it install?
    Thanks for any pointers

12. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

The Whipple fits into a V847, but the pins are not as obvious.
    Pins 1 & 8 are the ones you need to solder to the board. Look for instructions here:
    http://www.myspace.com/whippleinductor
    With the pin spacing of the Whipple, you would use the holes that are diagonally located (if you're looking at the top or bottom of your board). You can check the pin spacing by placing the Whipple against the board and seeing where the pins can line up.
    They would fit in either the two holes in blue, or the two holes in red, depending on where there's room surrounding it with the rest of the resistors and caps in place. Mine ended up in the two red holes shown below:
    [​IMG]

In the end, it should look something like this:
    [​IMG]

13. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1, and andreas would know! i modded my vox with this
    http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=362
    which did a good job of giving me a continuous, smooth bass-to-treble sweep rather than jumping up in the middle. i then did the volume mod, since it had already been true-bypassed. i tried the mod to increase the treble range, but it made the pedal sorta "not vox" sounding, so i went back to stock for that. all i need to do now is score some sort of boutique inductor for it, and then i'll be cool!

14. devnulljp

Wow, thanks mistercoffee1. Exactly what I needed to know [...scuttles off to ebay...]

15. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

BTW, he usually includes 33k, 68k, and 100k resistors with each of his Whipples to try out as the Q resistor. Before trying the vocal mod (Q resistor), wait to switch inductors first to see what sounds best with it.

I've had one other type of inductor that sounded better with 33k and lower, rather than the recommended 68k or 100k.

16. devnulljp

Thanks for all the info. I finally got round to modding my V847. I was a little confused with the pin thing, but your diagram helped. The stock inductor is held in place by 4 pins, and the Whipple also has 4 pins + an extra leg. The instructions of the Whipple page suggest anchoring the other ones as mechanical support, but also says that as they don't do anything it's OK to just tuck them out of the way and solder in only 1 & 8, which is what I did.
    Also did the swap out the 33k for 68k vocal mod, and it's much closer to the sound I was trying for. Also put in the foxrox buffer while I was at it, so it should sound better with a fuzz after it (fuzz is out on loan at the moment, so I can't try it yet).

So, it's really a pretty tricked out wah now. TB, vocal mod, whipple inductor. Nice. Thanks all.

17. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

For anyone else who is interested there is mod instructions and various links over at Fuzz Central. There are instructions for GCB-95 Crybabies and Vox 847s - all the mods you'll need including true bypass and assorted resistor changes to improve the sound. Everuthing can be sourced from an electronics store. I did all of them on my GCB-95 and it sounds 1 million percent better than it did stock.
    See: http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/axiswah.php

18. DaveukRN

DaveukRN Member

19. 4styx

4styx Member

Why does no one run a wire from ground input jack to ground output jack?I would think using the enclosure as a conductor would be a tonesuck,no?

20. jrm

jrm Member

How about adding a LED to a wah? I'd love to figure that one out? I've never soldered in my life, but I'd love to mod up my 847 for true bypass, a DC jack, and an LED. Anyone have any pointers?