Wampler Faux Spring Reverb - Anything Better?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hardys, May 23, 2013.

1. hardys

hardys Supporting Member

I've been listening to a lot of spring reverb pedal video demos on the web, and so far, the Wampler sounds the closest I've heard to a real spring reverb tank.

Is there any other pedal out there that does the spring thing as good or better than the Faux Spring?

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  2. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

How about the Subdecay Spring Theory ?

3. youandme

youandme Gold Supporting Member

No.

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Hard to beat that Wampler. I had one that I used in front of a Mesa TA15, sounded very real to me... And I am a bit of a Fender spring 'verb snob.

5. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

I own a real '64 fender tank, and the Wampler is the closest I've found. Tried the Subdecay (and many others) and found it REALLY bright.

6. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

The Hardwire RV7 actually has a very good Spring reverb in it. I havent compared it to the Wampler but for spring sounds its my absolute favorite.

7. youandme

No.

8. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer Silver Supporting Member

Did you try the Solid Gold FX Surf Rider?

9. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Boss FVR-1 if you want a drippier sound. The Wampler is great for sounding like the built in reverb in a combo amp.

Really just depends if when you say "Fender reverb" if your talking something like a big external spring tank, or a smaller combo tank. Big difference between the 63 tank and a Deluxe for example

10. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Its my goal to make people stop thinking the Surf Rider is a spring reverb, its not. I bought it thinking it was, and was very disappointed.

They actually don't even say it has a spring sound specifically in the marketing, but the name makes people think it does. Thats why I bought one and I assumed with a name like Surf Rider it had to be a spring type reverb. Right ? Wrong.

It is a Belton brick based reverb, not a spring emulation. Its got the typical Belton pre-delay and it can get kind of a cool retro reverb sound, which does sound great, but is has ZERO DRIP

Simple test; Crank up the reverb and just slap the strings, what do you hear ? A slapback delay sound.

It does not do the percussive "drip" effect of a real tank because the Belton Brick can't do that.

11. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Supporting Member

Have you compared the Wampler to other spring reverb pedals? How have you come to this decision? Twice no less.

Yes. Surprisingly good for a mass produced pedal. I've been through about 20 reverb pedals and have settled on the RV-7 for Spring.

Yes, you're right. They don't model spring reverb like digitech/Boss/Subdecay etc, etc. The whole belton brick = spring reverb is just marketing talk, however they are still pretty good.

FWIW The Mr. Springgy smooths out that delay-like decay, so is pretty good, but for me the Super Surf gets nice and loud, and the option to put on the second layer is quite unique, and you can get fairly 'neutral' reverb sounds with it so have been my favourite. Not sure how the Wampler compares, but all belton reverbs sound fundamentally the same. Mr. Springgy has a smoothed out, long decay, SS has an extra layer and a volume boost, EQD Ghost Echo you can adjust the pre-delay slightly. Not sure what the Wampler offers as being a little different.

For what it's worth I wrote this comparison between the RV-7 and SG Surf: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1211308

I still have both and wouldn't part with either.

12. hardys

hardys Supporting Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Wampler uses a Belton Brick, right?

13. papersun

papersun Supporting Member

:munch

14. Texas Jake

Texas Jake Supporting Member

Haven't tried the Wampler but I do have a Subdecay. It nails the sound of my Fender '63 reverb unit to a "T". In a live setting, it would be nearly impossible to tell the two apart. I have some other Wampler pedals and they do what they do really well. I doubt you could go wrong with either one. And either one would be easier to haul and more reliable than a true spring reverb tank. After re-tubing, replacing the tank, and other repairs, it decided to retire mine and go with a pedal.

The Subdecay is awesome but I ultimately ended up with a Flint. The spring reverb is maybe a notch below the Subdecay but the harmonic trem is amazing. Again, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference in a live setting.

15. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

My favorite is the Flint. Haven't played through one that sounds more real.

16. hollowhero

hollowhero Member

I'd recommend the hardwire rv-7 or supernatural for their spring or plate sounds. Pick up the supernatural if you want a really long spring sound, rv-7 otherwise

I've heard many times that the fvr-1 doesn't take dirt well...just something to keep in mind

17. youandme

well,i just noticed that i posted my answer twice... :) pardon...
    and yes,i did compare the wampler to other reverbs...
    the strymon flint and bluesky were sterile in comparison and sounded too digital to me...the subdecay sounded good and came in second but it didn't handle dirt as well as the wampler and was bit too harsh for my hears(the wampler has a tone control for the reverb signal)....the hardwire was too digital sounding as well... i use the wampler as an almost always on pedal and i'm not looking for the big tank reverb but the small combo deluxe reverb type,and for that the wampler sounds the best to me... just my opinion...or as i said it twice before...no.

18. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I think Wampler hit this one on the head.

19. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

The Wampler is the best I've heard, with 2nd place going to the Malekko Spring... I'm going to buy one soon, and may just get the spring due to it's smaller size and lower price tag... I don't know if I'll need the tone control (of the Wampler) or not... I guess it'll depend on the amp and guitar...

20. hardys

hardys Supporting Member

Although I can only comment on videos that I've seen, the Wampler has a more natural, organic sound to it that the frv1 & hardwire fall short on. Those 2 have a bit of digital sound & lack the richness/fullness & warmth of the Wampler. The only video that I've seen so far that comes close is the Surf Rider, but the Wampler sounds a little better. I don't like basing my purchase solely on videos, though for obvious reasons. That's why I value the opinions of others who have actually used them.

So, hardwire & boss owners...please set me straight if my impressions of those 2 pedals are wrong.