Well, this youtube clip wasn't supposed to be funny...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by gulliver, Nov 10, 2009.

1. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I thought the playing was really good, but you have to know your audience. Some gigs just aren't worth taking.

2. KHAN

KHAN Member

I hope he has a bigger dressing room than the puppet. :rimshot

3. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Supporting Member

Awesome!

Girl in Pink=Primal Vogue Artist.

4. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I thought the video was pretty funny. The playing was good, even if a little out of place. I would rather play for a few kids having a blast than a roomful of uptight people.

5. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

How time flies, I originally posted this thread around the time I got my wife preggo. Someone recently dug this thread up, and I now have a little girl who will be two in a few months.

Funny, my little girl has many of the same dance moves as the little girls in the video. I certainly look at that video differently today than I did when I posted it.

6. Abe

Abe Member

Look at the way the people walk by. As if there wasn't even a band there.

I think its very telling of the sad shape most adults are in. The only people connecting with the music are the children, who have yet to be conditioned into disregarding passion.

7. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Supporting Member

It's really a very beautiful video. Music in public spaces, no stereotypical boundaries. It reminds me of when my young daughter danced while my band played. I love the freedom of it.

8. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Like that old saying, "dance like no one is watching" ... no one can do that better than a kid (excluding drunk people, that's cheating).

9. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

i would have lost my focus at 4:08-4:10!:cool:

10. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

I wish those cats were playing at the shopping mall that I work in. Seriously to belittle the playing in that clip here on TGP is really sad. Dude is smokin on guitar & I know from the countless hours of reading inane crap on here that 95% of the cats that post would kill for those chops.

11. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Supporting Member

Great guitar skills. Good band. Wrong venue.

I immensely respect the musicianship, but man... there can't be that many people in the world that want to listen to that. Profoundly un-danceable, no recognizable melody. If you don't play songs that people can sing along to and tap their toes, you probably shouldn't be playing shopping malls and public events.

Again- not criticizing the band, they are great at what they do. I just think it has very limited appeal in a public space.

12. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

I agree. My daughter (4 years old) has come to a few of our gigs, the ones where we start early enough for her to attend, and even though I sometimes get tired of playing the same tunes, just watching her dance and the expression of sheer joy on her face makes it sooo worthwhile for me.

13. KeithC

KeithC Supporting Member

Ironically TGP is the place top notch guitar playing could/should get appreciated and it's also the place where top notch guitar playing can/will inevitably get slammed for some reason or another.

Musicians out there playing and pushing their music I thought was sort of the idea.

14. Route234

Route234 Member

Please...if he had a porkpie hat and a bowling shirt on and was playing a 335 into a old Fender amp "in the pocket" you guys would be watching the clip with your pants around your ankles.

15. agradywills

agradywills Member

Did anybody catch 4:08? Wowzers!!!!!!! :eek:

16. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator Staff Member

Well....since he made the comment over 3 years ago, we might never know.....LOL

17. agradywills

agradywills Member

And tan pants on.

18. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Supporting Member

I think the children on the video prove otherwise. The music is danceable, because (unless my eyes deceive me) dance steps are occurring. If you look closely, you'll see that toes were indisputably tapped.

IMO - not only is it wonderful that these people are playing in this public space, but I would rather play in this venue than in a drunky pub. I would rather have people (of any age) soaking up the music than drunk people tripping over the monitors.

19. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

I seriously don't get this vibe on TGP about worrying about the maturity level of music or the maturity level perceived from the type of gear you use. It's really creepy. Why is a forum full of middle aged men so worried about being grown-up or mature? Frankly, being really worried about being seen as an adult is pretty childish. That's the type of things middle school kids concern themselves with.

Yeah, I know this thread is old, but I feel this is worth mentioning because I see this so much around here.

20. andrekp

andrekp Member

I'm afraid that if we blanket-banned the public playing of "indulgent" music, we'd have little left. Certainly all of prog, metal, and a big chunk of jazz, would be gone.

Not saying you're right or wrong, but a big part of how we view this kind of self-indulgent music is related to how famous the player is. Steve Vai or Alex Lifeson can get away with a lot more than we'd allow this person to.