West Coast Blues Thread v. 12.0

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mr tom, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

2. schultzvil

schultzvil On The Corner Of Blues and Swing Silver Supporting Member

Trems: I've used a lot, all of these were good: Voodoo Labs, Supa Trem, Demeter Tremulator (real good meat & potatoes bf Trem) Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 (what's not to like?) but these days I rely on Mad Professor Mellow Yellow- just very full, deep, juicy. $$$, though...

3. StaxKing

StaxKing Member

I have recently joined my first pro band. A drummer, a bass player and me. They have respectable reputations most would kill for and are very grown up.

The basis for the band is on the rockier side of the blues. Probably not most of your cup of tea, I guess.

Anyway, I hit the first rehearsal earlier this week and my word what a contrast from what I am used to. They both had charts they had created from the demos we were given and had everything down perfectly. I had nothing and - hoping to play by feel - was frankly well out of my depth. Halfway through I offered my resignation. They kindly told me it wasn't necessary but asked if I could put the work in next time please (I had been, but not in the right way). They also agreed to drop the charts for the solos to give me freedom to go for it (or not) 'on the night'.

Playing with pros is a far cry from what I am used to. Just turning up and winging it is not acceptable. I looked like a real twerp as a result and cost them money they can not afford to spend (on an additional rehearsal). Lesson learned.

Our first gig is to 300+ people who have each paid equiv $40 to watch a name band we are supporting. There will only be one more rehearsal before I am expected to be able to play and sing the material (10 tracks incl. 5 originals) perfectly.

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else wanted to mention similar experiences and lessons learned for the benefit of the Thread.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

Had a few trems--SupaTrem, etc. Now have a Vibrutron and a Swamp Thang. The ST is my all time fave--prefer it to most amp trems I've had/heard.

5. mannish

mannish Member

6. mannish

mannish Member

Sorry but I have to ask how many of you 'pros' often use strict charts in this particular genre.

7. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Member

I use charts for some gigs. Kedar had charts on his gig with Junior Watson this week. I've seen drummers with charts (John Nemeth's band) and horn players almost always have them.

But, usually I don't need them.

8. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Silver Supporting Member

I've gigged with a harp player that had a ton of arrangements. Nothing was standard and the arrangements were part of his style.

I didn't use charts because I had time to memorize all the arrangements before the gig. On one hand, it was refreshing to do a blues gig that didn't rely on standards.

But then he started calling out tunes on the gig that the band wasn't familiar with (and that I flat out didn't know). At that point I was wishing we had charts.

9. Jove

Jove Member

I've never been to the Doheny Blues fest and this year might be the year. I'd make the journey even if these 3 bands were the only ones playing! Imelda May is just a bonus...

[​IMG]

J

10. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

Oh Imelda! :agree :agree :agree

11. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Member

A demonstration of my foot percussion:

12. Thin Slices

Thin Slices Member

@Scott, Bravo! I dig it!

13. RickyKing

RickyKing Supporting Member

Beautiful Cats!

14. straightblues

straightblues Member

Scott that is a thing of beauty. You sir are a wild man.

15. hasserl

hasserl Member

I've played a few gigs with one harp player who absolutely refuses to have any organized structure at all, he refuses to even have a set list. Never any rehearsals. He strictly wants to call the songs out on the spot, whatever he feels like at the moment, and often that means he just calls out a key and a feel and it's up to you to interpret that and kick into it as he counts it off. 1 2 3 4 go.

As unprepared as that sounds, the gigs actually come out really well; and though challenging, they are also fun. Having done so many jams helps, I suppose.

16. Stringmaster

Ditto--I've done quite a few of those too, and I think it's a lot of fun, and it keeps you on your toes! One of my bands does work out arrangements, but they aren't charted out, and have some "looseness" to them--and rehearsing allows for somewhat more complex arrangements, that would be hard to do "on the fly".

17. GOLDENSTRAT

GOLDENSTRAT Member

Great, now I'm hungry for pork chops!

18. Stringmaster

If you all know any harp players that would like to compete for a chance to play our Spring Harpfest in San Diego--a good lineup this year. My band will be providing the backup for the contestents. Email or PM me for more info:

[​IMG]

19. dddelta

dddelta Member

Mr Miller you are a fraud!! The feet on your left side (lying on the couch) were clearly operating the bass and snare drums by remote control!

What a great video. What category is this in for tomoorrow nights Oscar's?!!

20. EBW

EBW Silver Supporting Member

Some more Junior from last week at the Grand Dell Saloon, Campbell, CA with June Core, Kedar Roy and Sid Morris.

and with Gary Smith on harp, Vance Ehlers on bass ...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.