What is the best sounding Marshall Plexi clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Glaze, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Glaze

Glaze Member

A Victoria Bassman is hands down one of the best sounding amps I have ever played through tonally. The Victoria Bassman is magic sounding and it is the best Tweed Bassman clone I have ever played through. I'm trying to find the same Victoria quality in a Marshall clone.

I'm looking for the best sounding non master volume Marshall Plexi clone. The one that sounds better than all the others and the amp that sounds as good as the very best Marshalls. You guy's can post here or e-mail me if you prefer not to say certain things on this forum. What have you vintage Marshall tone fans been buying and actually keeping?

Thanks

Mike

2. myles111

myles111 Member

3. Don L

Don L Member

Cornell Plexi 45/50 is pretty nice.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

I like the Maven Peal Ganesha - very flexible.
    Problem: Dave doesn't make them any more. Look out for one in emporium, incredible value for money.

Best, Pete.

5. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

Greg Germino. He even offers different flavors of Plexi, be it Jimi, Clapton, or Duane. Nothing else has the combination of look, sound, and vibe that Greg's gets with all his amps. I've had several (5) and they all killed. I wish he would start making Masonette's again, cool little amp!

P.S. I'm a huge fan of Victoria also, have had several Deluxe's and a Bassman, all killer with vibe to spare.

Scott

6. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Member

I think you're going to get as many different opinions as there are Marshall clones on this one :confused:

7. stratofied

stratofied Member

Another vote for Germino.

8. Glaze

Glaze Member

You are right because several companies are making Plexi Marshall clones. People are having tone partys and amp shootouts with vintage Marshalls, so what is winning and impressing people more? What is the guy with two vintage Marshalls at home buying because he does not want to take his vintage Marshalls out to the clubs?

I want a non master volume Marshall clone. No bells or whistles. Just a magic sounding head that nailed the tone down. I don't want to buy a 35 year old Marshall due to dependability.

Mike

9. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I have 3 vintage Marshalls (OK, LATE vintage... 74, 74, and 75) and I just bought a Germino Monterey Classic... but I haven't heard any more than the clips on the web site. :eek:

10. Jerrod

+1.5

11. telebuck

telebuck Member

There is always the Marshall Marshall Clone... 2061x head. Supposed to be a baby-plexi. Used they can be had for fairly cheap... around 1300. I love mine, though I've never played a real plexi, so YMMV.

12. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

True. There are tons of boutique builders making Marshall clones out there but a good indication of quality and authentic tone could be which ones are being used by pro musicians. I have seen Germino's on stage at the Grammy's, on tour with with Aerosmith and The Black Crowes, many others. Greg is too cool to deal with, will help you out way beyond the call of duty and continually improves his products. He has grown a ton over the short few years he has been doing it and I am sure will continue to grow as long as there is a need for reliable, well built boutique Marshall Plexi circuits. Go to his site or Steelbender to hear clips, see video of the amps in action as well as construction info and background on the company.

Scott

13. Jerrod

By the way, I like Marshalls that have some...

[​IMG]

14. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Mike you know my take on this...want an old marshall...get an old Marshall now that said.
    I'd pull out my THD Plexi just as soon as my 50 watt JMP. And when folks ask me what I use i couldn't use my 100 watters...I send them to Germino.

15. Jerrod

This is true. :eek:

And my Germino costs more than my "vintage" pieces.

16. Ed DeGenaro

Another victim of Ed marketing...wonder how many customers I have to send his way before I get a freebie. :)

17. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i get tweed bassman, jtm45, and 100w plexi in a 50w package w/Heritage Colonial

(Cornell 45/50 & Germinos are great, too)

:cool:

18. Ed DeGenaro

I'm sorry but there is NO 50 watter that does a 100 watt JMP. Period.

19. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Member

Hey Glaze...

I know what you're saying...I've been down that road before :eek: ... and I should have offered a more constructive comment.

So here's my take and completely meaningless opinion to your question. :D I'm not claiming to be an authority on this so take it for what it's worth (just my opinion) as I'm sure plenty of folks around here will disagree....

I've owned and played a lot of old Marshalls over the years and currently own a '71 small box 50 watt Lead, a '73 50 watt Bass, and my pride and joy...a '67 100 watt plexi Super Bass. IMO, all three of these heads sound KILLER with the '67 Super Bass being hands down the best sounding Marshall I've ever played. I'm only stating this because a lot of guys will say that a certain amp is a great Marshall clone....yet they have never played (or in some cases ever owned) an old Marshall amp! :Spank

I haven't played all the clones out there but these are a few that I've owned over the past several years:

Aiken Invader
    Blockhead JTM 50
    Roccaforte Custom 30
    Germino Massonette
    Germino Lead 55
    Germino Classic 45
    Top Hat Emplexador
    Cornell Plexi 45/50

I did not own the Top Hat or Cornell but they belonged to a buddy of mine and I was able to play through them extensively.

Of all the amps on that list the one that IMO sounded closeset to my old Marshall amps is the Roccaforte Custom 30....and it runs 6V6's and has a Master Volume!! :eek: :eek:

Bottom line for me though...I have to agree with Ed on this one "Want an old Marshall > get an old Marshall."

20. Third Stone

Third Stone Supporting Member

Want a vintage Marshall>get a vintage Marshall(and keep that techs phone number handy...you may need it. ;-) My '68 smallbox was great, but I couldn't depend on it. Get a Germino Club 40, you won't be dissapointed.