What kind of equipment were you using in the 1980s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Dec 4, 2011.

1. bbutler123

bbutler123 Supporting Member

Scott home stereo amp (solid state) 40 watts per channel, run through 2 or 4- Celestion speakers from 1973 or so(probably Greenbacks, don't know).

The frequency response wasn't limited like a guitar amp, it was full 20-20,000 and it was the fullest-sounding amp I've ever heard. And it was so clean. I used a DOD overdrive pedal, and though it was crap compared to a tube screamer, I was ecstatic about my equipment.

I play hard rock with a lot of clean.

For a while, I owned a Randall 120 watt head through 4-12" somethings, but it was dead compared to the Scott.

Though I didn't use it after about 1998, I owned the Scott from 1976 to 2005 when it finally said bye bye and fixing it wasn't worth it.

2. bradinnm

bradinnm Member

ESP Strat or Yamaha SA-2000 (ES-335 clone) into a Randal RG-80 and later into a Marshall Mosfet 100. (Should have stuck with the RG-80) ;)

3. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

Started out in '86 with a Yamaha acoustic OM copy (still play OM-bodied acoustics to this day).

I went electric in '87 with a Japanese Fender Strat w/ Khaler tremolo and a Fender Sidekick Reverb 35 solid-state amp. Added an Arion distortion pedal later that same year.

Added an Ibanez RG550 in '89 (now THAT was the quintessential 80's guitar!)

I played that same Sidekick Reverb amp until '95, when I sold it and got a Marshall tube combo.

The Yamaha acoustic stuck around until 1999 when I finally upgraded first to a Guild A-50, then to the Martin OM-28 I currently own.

4. XXTwighlight

XXTwighlight Supporting Member

I recieved my first guitar in 1983. A Ibanez roadstar II. which I sold a couple years ago for like $80 or so.
    I then had a white Gibson Flying V which I bought at Manny's in NYC. Long story, but it was stolen. Then came the purple(ish)/red sunburst BC Rich Mockingbird and eventually a black Fender strat.
    My first amp was a Ampeg Gemini II which i thought was just some old piece of sh*t oldies vintage amp. I eventually sold it to a friend for $15 who then sold it to a music store for like $80. I was shocked he got that much.
    I then owned a GK 250ML which i thought was the coolest little amp with the built in speakers. I thought all I needed was that little head to play in a full band, but realized I still needed a cab for a full response. I eventually bought the GK 212 cab to go with it. I had that amp through most of the mid to late 80's. I used an Ibanez "super metal pedal", which i just sold to analog man for like $50 or so. I saw it up for sale on his website for around $200 I believe it was.

5. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Started the 80's (having just sold my third Tele), with a Dean V, an acoustic, a wah, a Boss PH-1 Phaser, A Soundtronix head. 100 watts I think, or maybe 50. Think it had 6L6 but might have been EL34.. Kick ass amp! This went through a homemade 4X10 open back cabinet with generic alnicos. Ended it with an acoustic, a wah, the Phaser, a boss CE-2 Chorus, a Strat and a Pro Reverb.

6. 10strings

10strings Supporting Member

In the early 80's I got my first high chair and "rattle" toy...

7. mcknigs

mcknigs Member

I started the '80s with a Peavey Deuce II and an SG. soon I picked up an ES-175 and a little Peavey Backstage 30 practice amp. I played in a band with the Backstage (dimed) and the 175 because the SG and Deuce both needed work and because the Backstage was easier to get from my parking spot 3 blocks away up to my 3rd floor walk-up apartment. Sold the Deuce and bought a Yamaha G100-212 II because I thought I needed channel switching. Still have it. Never used the channel switching. Picked up a '76 Strat. The G100 and Strat were my main guitar rig for most of the '80s.

For the majority of the decade I played more bass than guitar. My main bass rig was a '78 P-bass into a Peavey Mark IV head and Fender Bassman135 4x12 cab.

Along the way I got a Boss CS-2 compressor and a DS-2 Turbo Distortion.

I still have the guitars. The Yamaha amp is on semi-permanent loan to a local club for use as a loaner.

8. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

I started the 80's with a USA Squier Strat (man I wish I had that thing now) and a Gorilla amp and finished the 80's with a USA Standard Strat, A Roland JC-120 and a Zoom 9000.

9. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

mid 80s Marshall Artisite 50w & 4x12 tokai pedals & fender contemporary strat.
    ....Moved to Marshall jcm800 2203 2/4x12s same pedals ..additions guitar wise Tokai strat Fender Katana Gibson lespaul custom...
    Moved to marshall jcm800 Dual channel...tried/had various 1970 Marshalls then bought a Rack ..ADA rocktron FX carvin power amp same 4x12s and used that until dual recs came out

10. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

Ibanez Challenger w/Lawrence 220's and a Dimarzio SD thru a Mesa MKIIB.

11. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

Sweet rig. Look how close that Pickup is to the bridge!

I was running a 78 Tele through an MXR D+ into a 67 Fender Bandmaster Reverb - to an early 70's Marshall 1960A.
    I still have all of it, and though I gig with a 1x12 more often than not, I'll use that same rig from time to time (more/different pedals now though).

12. theroan

theroan Member

[​IMG]