What speaker for 5E3 Tweed Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Derelict, May 18, 2006.

1. Derelict

Derelict Member

Hi,
    I am ordering a 5E3 kit from Bruce Collins at mission amps. I am wondering what the best speakers are for a 5E3. I will be runnin this in a 2x12 configuration, so they will have to be 16 ohm. I played a Victoria through an eminence Legend (i assume a 121) and thought it was incredible.

Any other suggestions?

-Adam

2. ES350

ES350 Member

I have put just about anything in a 5E3 that would fit...and here's my take FWIW.

---for straight tweed tones---P12R (quick break up), P12Q (a little brighter and cleaner), P12P/P12N (probably overkill in a 2x12, but cleaner, more efficient).
    ---for mini-Marshall tones---Celestion Blue or the Weber Alnico Blue seem to be the faves in this amp.
    ---Jensen style ceramics---cleaner, tighter low end, more efficient, brighter. Maybe a nice middle ground overall...

I switch between vintage P12P, P12N, and some C12N and C12P I have around...kinda leaning toward a cleaner 5E3 tone. Weber has some Signature alnico 12's that might be a pretty good economical alternative for a 2x12" 5E3. You might want to consider the 6L6 mods and a bigger multitap OT if you are going to run a bigger cab. A lot to carry around for 12 watts...and you are limited in speaker choices if you need 16 ohms (that rules out most vintage American speakers).

3. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

Weber 12a125a is the one to get. It sounds most like the original jensens.

4. myles111

myles111 Member

Having at lease one Vox Blue is about as good as it gets .... two are even better.

5. ROKY

ROKY Member

I have 2 Eminence 122 AlNiCo 16 ohms- one still unboxed, the other tested
    briefly, if interested.

Very cool speakers; sounds like you've already tried these ?

PM for more details if interested .

6. Derelict

Derelict Member

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

7. pbradt

pbradt Member

These are the BEST speakers for a 5E3. I have one in mine (1x12 config) and it's schweet with a Tele, a Strat or a Baritone. I'd jump on these in a heartbeat if I needed two 12" speakers to make 8 ohms.

Edit: I should note, my single speaker in my 5E3 is an 8-ohm model.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  8. Derelict

Derelict Member

i am thinking an eminence wizard might be nice in the tweed deluxe. its got those nice, glassy highs that a tweed amp cound benefit from. i play mostly overdriven and cleans with a bit of hair. also, b/c of both its aggressive overdriven nature, and nice 3-d top end presence, i was also thinking about governors.

am i an idiot?

9. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

You haven't said what kind of sound you're after. Even if true vintage, you might want things on one end or the other of the clean/dirty, sweet/crunchy spectrums. (OK grammar police, I know what the plural is.)

I queried the same thing and had numerous Jensen style suggestions and the ever-popular Cel. Blue. Since I'm running 1x12 in a 5E variant that can use 6L6's at about 25 and wanted to hang cleaner longer, I went with a higher wattage Weber 12A150. Couldn't be happier - still gets raucous gradually, and later, and has some of the creaminess on top of the blue.

If I were doing a 2x12, I'd definitely mix and match a blue (Cel or Weber) and a Weber 12Asomething (they've got a few variations).

10. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Member

Mine is just a 112, but I have a Weber 12A125 and love the thing.

11. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have Cele Blue in my Clark Beaufort and I think it is amazing. It is Michael Clark's choice and he is pretty much a certified tweed nut. I find it still sounds vintage, but with some tonal things the vintage style speakers can't do.

12. Derelict

Derelict Member

well,
    i dunno if i am going to go with redcoat emienences or not. i don't want anything to interfere with the amp's tone; i want my amp to sound tweedy, and not british; like the intro to Pearl Jam's "immortality." It sounds like at any minute the amp is going to explode. maybe the texas heats or red white and blues. its going into a 2x12, mind you, and i need an 8-ohm load, so that means 16-0hm speakers.

13. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

I've tried all sorts in this amp...

Red Fang
    G12H30
    Greenback
    Texas Heat
    Vintage 30
    P12Q
    P12R
    C12Q

My favorite is the Texas Heat. BUt truth be told, I like that speaker in a lot of american style amps.

14. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Another Celestion Blue fan here.
    With my Tele and my Wakarusa A2 (tweed deluxe clone) combo...it's pure heaven.

S>
    j

15. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

CBPickin: What tonal things can the Blue do in the Clark tweed? I've never heard these speakers, but really like the way good tweed amps are flexible to more modern speaker sounds (like the way ceramics can work so well.)

16. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

weber 12a125 is the shizit, there's a clip of one with a 5e3 here

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Eminence Wizard is whats in mine and I have no complaints. I bet a Celestion Blue would sound good in one too. :AOK

18. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

One more for the Blue.

19. ROKY

ROKY Member

These are great speakers, and very undermentioned.

For affordable Alnicos they sound much better then the Red Fangs, especially
    right outta the box, not harsh, at all .

I had a pair of Fangs, BTW, for over year(jumped in during the inital Emi Buzz)

20. Bacton

Bacton Member

Im making the same decision for my mission 5e3. My problem is i might, at some point, change it over to a higher wattage (maybe even up to 40 watts) The celestion blues sound great but they only make them in a 15 watt version. What would sound good with the amp in both 15 and 40ish watt versions?