What to do about TU2 tone-suk?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kingpin, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

I need to do something about the tone-suck my TU2 is causing. I was thinking of either saving up for a Peterson Strobostomp or getting an Axess BS2 and splitting the TU2 out of my signal path. The pros for the Strobo: improved tuning and True bypass: pros for the Axess BS2: about $55 less and a high quality buffer may help my entire rig sound better.

Relevant info: I'm playing a Tele into a Vicky Bassman and my pedalboard consists of: Voodoo PP2,TU2, Homebrew CPR, Barber LTD, Keeley BD2, BYOC delay, and occasionally I'll add a Demeter Trem or a Keeley RAT2. As far as I know, all of these pedals are true bypass with the exception of the Boss TU2 and BD2.

So whaddaya think? I'm primarily using this setup for playing live and wonder if I'll have enough time to fully take advantage of the Petersons accuracy. Or would the benefit of a good buffer (and cheaper too) be a more effective use of my cash?

Thanks.

2. DavidE

DavidE Member

I don't notice any tone suck with my TU2. Have you tried taking it in and out of the effects chain to be sure that's the problem? Just because a pedal is billed as True Bypass doesn't mean it can't suck tone. And the problem could be a cable too.

3. ABKB

ABKB Member

I have noticed it (though a bad cable sure wouldnt help, so check that too) I think both of those options would be fine, the better one being the Strobostomp. I am currently saving for it (hey I'm broke right now). Better tuner than the TU with more options and no Tone suck.

4. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Supporting Member

If the cable is fine just put the tuner or any tuner for that matter off to the side with an A/B box.

I do this with the Peterson VS-1.

It may be just me but, I when I set intonation, I don't set it at the pedalboard so this is why I find it more practical to use an A/B box for the tuner so when I'm done, I can just put the tuner in my duffle bag and have it ready at home for setting intonation.

5. pepperco

pepperco Supporting Member

The Boss Tuner is a notorious signal sucker.
    Still a lot of people use them and don't seem
    to hear or mind the suckage. I say keep the
    tuner but get a decent A/B box.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I use an Axess BS-2. It's a great device, and not just because it has a separate tuner output.

When I plugged it into my system, it made a startling sonic difference. It is the one box on my pedalboard that hasn't changed since I bought it a few years back.

7. DavidE

DavidE Member

Maybe I should put my EB volume pedal on my board and use the tuner out....

But I'd have to go back to a larger board for it to fit.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

solve this problem and tuning problems by getting the Strobo... You don't realize how bad your tuning is until you get the Strobo. SERIOUSLY!

9. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

I think the TU2 "filters" certain frequencies. With my rig there is no difference in tone with the TU2 in my chain or via a looper. On the rig of a friend of mine however, you can really notice a difference.

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

If the TU is really bothering you, get an a/b box with a tuner output from Loooper.com. Its cheap and effective. Do NOT use the Volume JR.'s tuner output as the "tone suck" police will tell you that these pedals are suckers too so you will only be compounding the issue. In fact its probably best if you never plug in again because there really is no way to keep your tone from degrading the moment it leaves your fingertips. You lose a little in the pickups, the tone and volume controls, the cable, and then the amp, the tubes, the output tranny and the speakers. And then the band kicks in and its like..."Dude where's my tone?" :eek: Hell, even solo acoustic guitars are subject to the tone suckage caused by thick smokey air and the giant dude with the fro up front. You just can't win. Seriously, How did all those great guitarists of the 60's, 70's, and 80's ever manage to get a decent tone with all those tone suckers in line? :rolleyes: OK... sarcastic rant over.

11. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

:D

12. Paychek

Paychek Member

+1 for the strobostomp, I've had mine for a few weeks. The intonation was off on both my guitars(before I used a korg DT7). After calibrating the intonation on my Anderson and Suhr classic, with new sets of SOS strings, the guitars have never sounded better. My old method of tuning with the DT7 was way off. I could hear the difference.
    So Coool
    I look at it this way, peterson says that the strobostomp is 30 times more accurate than tuners with leds or needle pointers. When I tune with the strobo and play a few songs with leads, I know that I am still in better tune even though it has fallen out a little than with my old tuning method.
    :dude

13. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

Yes, I've tried checking my cables and they (George L's) seem to be fine, the tuner seems to be the culprit. I've also tried using my Ernie Ball VPjr but that wasn't much of an improvement either. I think that getting an A/B box for the time being, until a Strobostomp comes my way, is the most practical solution. I have to admit that I am intrigued by the Axess BS-2 and what effect it would have on my gear. GAS is never-ending...

Thanks all for your input (humorous rants too).

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

As a gigging musician I do find it funny the obsession with "tone suck". It is defiantly a valid concern. Lets put all typical rhetoric aside and think logically…

I usually play through one of the finest PA systems I’ve ever seen/heard. It consists of probably 20 different SLS speaker enclosures and God only knows how many watts and a major pro guy running the board. Does my guitar sound anything like what is coming out of my TopHat? Not even close! Amplified low end, brittle high end, you name it. Therefore any, ANY appreciable “tone suck” is covered up with a major torqueing of my tone as it is. Also, I hear my guitar through in ears… wanna talk about a bummer tone wise. BUT, I can hear everything with out killing my hearing. Again lets think logically here…

I’m just saying get a handful of good quality pedals True Bypass and Buffered, who cares, they both have good and bad charactaristcs. Plug them into a good amp, and frikkin play!!! Practicing more will mean more to your tone than wasting valuable time obsessing of these little things.

15. Paychek

Paychek Member

Point Taken

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I agree. Firstly, I think a lot of tone-suck rumors are greatly exaggerated, and the TU-2 is no exception. I personally can't hear a difference with mine. My rig sounds great with the TU-2 in line, so I don't really care what it's doing.

Second and more importantly, in addition to the PA changing your tone that you mentioned, you've got a buch of drunks hooting and hollering, people talking, bartenders and wait staff crashing dishes around and whatever other background noise you find in a club. No patron is going to say "they were a great band, but did you hear that guitar player's tuner suck all his tone. We'll never go see them again". On the other hand, they may notice if you're badly out of tune.

17. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

+1

Learning how to dial in your sound accurately using the knobs on your amp (they do actually turn) and even the TONE control on your guitar, rather than just blindly leaving them at the same settings you like at home will make at least as much difference to your quality and consistency of tone - especially from venue to venue, where the change in tone can be huge just due to different stage acoustics, even before the PA comes into it - as worrying about whether your pedals 'suck tone'.

Of course there's good tone and less good tone (and bad tone). But it doesn't seem to have much to do with the type of bypass in the pedals.

I'm not even going to comment on the tuner accuracy issue since it's been done to death and you all know what I think.

Just my opinion :).

18. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

Kingpin,

Not to highjack your thread, but how do you like that BYOC delay? I've been thinking about getting some sort of delay and I was heavily considering that one.

Thanks,
    mR

19. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

I do like it quite well. I don't use heavy delay, just a touch for ambience or slapback. The BYOC ended up booting my Digitech Digidelay off the board. Even the Digidelay's tape mode doesn't sound as warm as the BYOC. I don't think there is a delay in that price range ($75) that can touch it.

Oh, and the build wasn't that difficult. Mine worked the first time I plugged it in, and I'm no soldering whiz!

20. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I'm also with Aaron, I'm a gigger, and use in-ears, doesn't mean anyone wants bad tone, but I just don't have time to microscope those things, and my ears aren't that good anyway.

Think about what some of your favorite guitarists (from 60's -70's) used when they recorded the songs with your favorite tones on them.