What to do if you found out gear you bought was stolen?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dangayle, Nov 12, 2011.

1. dangayle

dangayle Member

I just found out that some of my gear that I bought at a pawn shop was in fact stolen, and I know whose it was.

So, how does one resolve this? I feel like I should give it back, but I'd be out all the money I legitimately paid for it. It's a suck situation all around.

Thoughts?

2. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

That's a tough one. If you have a lot of money tied up into the gear, then it really puts you in a bad spot. You could always ask the original owner if he'd be willing to go 50/50 with you to help ease some of the financial hit. We'd all like to think someone would give us our stolen gear back if it was recovered, being that we were the one's who originally bought it. Then again, it's not really fair for you to lose the gear and the money...it then makes you feel like you were the one who got robbed! I believe in good karma man, so I'd probably work something out with the guy. Good luck

3. george nada

george nada Member

if you bought it at a pawn shop it was a legit sale, on your end. the pawn owner should take the stuff back, refund your $$ and call the police.

4. hank57

hank57 Gold Supporting Member

Often the police will make a pawnshop return gear to the rightful owner at the price they purchased it. See the shop doesn't want to be on the bad side of the police. In your case, contacting the police may work out fine. They would have the shop refund you the money you spent, and return it to the rightful owner at the price they paid the criminals. Then the police may be done or they may be able to go after the person who brought in the merchandise. If they have manpower for that.

You have a receipt for the purchase so you are not a criminal so it should workout for you. Also if the shop broke a law knowingly they should get in trouble.

5. dangayle

dangayle Member

If it were a recent issue, I think all of the above might work out, but I bought the stuff two years ago, and I don't have any clue where the receipts might be. (I do keep those for any purchase like this, but I've also moved twice since then.)

I'll definitely work it out with the guy though. How ever it works out, I want to do right by him.

6. R3deemed

R3deemed Supporting Member

Know that you know it's stolen and are still possessing it puts you in violation of the law. IMO you're obligated to return it ASAP.

Asking the original owner to go 50/50 is classless to me. Ask him to buy his stuff back? Am I missing something? The only people making out here is the crook and the pawn shop.

Advise the police and attempt to get your money back from the shop.

(This is why I don't buy from pawn shops ~ much of the items are stolen.)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Forum Runner

7. The Kid

The Kid Member

Notify the police. They can work it out with the pawn shop. I wouldn't feel right about playing an instrument that I knew was stolen. YMMV.

8. Swain

Swain Member

Yeah, Pawn Shops are required to photocopy the I.D. of anyone who they buy something from.

So, either way you should report it to the police. They can deal with the individual or the pawn shop you bought it all from. And eventually, you'll get your money back.

After calling the police, contact the rightful owner, and let them be aware of the fact that their gear has been recovered. Because, they may also have useful info that will speed the process along. And, it may keep them from buying more gear when their original gear is being returned to them.

9. tonejunky

tonejunky Member

Now that's what I call relic'd.

I bet if you kindly give the stuff back to the original owner without asking for any money, that he will then kindly give you some compensation.

10. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Really sucks for you, but IMO the right thing to do is give it back. Hopefully the police will lean on the pawn shop and they will do the right thing.

11. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

regardless of the law I think i would have a hard time justifying keeping stuff in a situation like that. Even if it sucks financially I would feel obligated to give it back. I do hope you get your money back though

12. monsta

monsta Member

Whatever you do, however you do it, it must end with the person getting their stolen gear back. I just hope you won't be out of pocket.

13. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

My question would be back at you, what would you want you to do? If I bought YOUR stolen guitar at a pawn shop and found out it was stolen, I think you would want me to bring it back, right?

Karma has away of rewarding the right choices, give it back, that's what I would do, and call the cops.

14. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Don't just give it right back to the proper owner. Technically, it's evidence. I would go through the police. It's the best chance you have of getting your money back from the pawn shop.

15. Rhomco

Rhomco Member

Disclosed to the whole wide world that you know you have stolen goods, you would be well advised to settle the matter. Climbing off my hign horse now.

16. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Personally i'd contact the original owner, and work out some kind of arrangement with him with the police present. That way the police know the stuff has been given back and they can further investigate. The original owner might feel the need to offer you compensation, but to be honest, i don't think you should demand compensation from them, when it comes to the gear, it's rightfully theirs, when it comes to the money, it's not them that owe it to you, it's the pawn shop, so i'd take my gripe up with them for the money.

Always a sticky situation if it means you're out a bit of money though...if it were me, i'd give it back no questions asked, but i'd definitely try to get my end of the money back from that pawn shop...in Australia you're required to keep receipts for 5 years for tax purposes, so it's likely they still have a record of the transaction if you no longer have the receipt.

17. Guitarnotsoguru

Guitarnotsoguru Ultimate Plutonium Member Silver Supporting Member

Are you saying you DIDN'T know who it belonged to BEFORE you bought it and NOW you do????? Hmmmmm

18. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I don't think that's odd or suspicious.

19. Crowbar

Crowbar Member

Yeah gotta give it back. That guy got ripped off and so did you.
    I agree with the law on this one, "what did you know and when did you know it?" this is your choice to be a criminal or not. {reminds me of Paterno}

I bought my LesPaul Standard pretty cheap, somtimes I wonder.......

20. BarryE

BarryE Member

One thing to consider , if the guy received insurance money then it does not belong to him, it belongs to the insurance company, so if the police are involved so does the insurance company. that can be handled but if you sell it back to the owner for a great discount, the 50/50 split then the owner has in essence bought another guitar.

I had this happen earlier in the year where a guitar that was stolen from me was found in NY. In my case the owner contacted the pawn shop he bought it from, they reimbursed him and I was returned the guitar. I had contacted my insurance company and reimbursed them the money I had received to remove their claim on it and we we contacted the police to update their records (the case is still open for other reasons)