What's a good speaker for my 64 Deluxe Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by taddertot, Mar 23, 2012.

1. taddertot

taddertot Supporting Member

It had a gold label Jensen in it. It's now blown. :( So many options/choices nowadays. Just wanna see what folks have had good results with. ? thx.

2. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Why not get the Jensen repaired? I can heartily endorse the work of Speaker Services here in Memphis, but I'm sure there are others out there that can do the work. Failing that, I would check out the Jensen Neo if you want to lighten the load and hear your amp in its purest form, or an Eminence C.Rex if you want to beef it up and trim the highs.

3. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Gold Supporting Member

The Alltone 1250 was commissioned by Joe Naylor to replicate those original Jensen Special Design speakers. I believe Ted Weber was the one making them, so he may have something too.

4. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Member

The speaker in the recent Frontman 65R is unmatched among Fender's drivers, IMO. Apparently they think so too and hesitate to sell them. You have to research the Frontman for repair parts and order it as such. Goes for about $58. It is the cleanest and most efficient driver I've ever heard from them. I got two and built them into an extension cab for my Frontman. Awesome.

Peavey Pro 12 is a good alternative at about the same price, but has mor power handing.

5. sideman

sideman Member

If the gold label Jensen is a C12N ("C12N" would be inked on the perimeter back with some other numbers), you should have it reconed and keep it. The vintage C12N is a highly sought after speaker. You can't find them on the bay for $100 or less anymore. The first choice for many blackface Fender enthusiasts. Particularly if the speaker is original to the amp, or dated right for the amp, it would be desireable to keep them together. The Jensen date code is the three digits after the numbers "220." 220 is the manufacturers code for Jensen, the three numbers after it are the year and week. So 220425 indicates the 25th week of 1964, etc. An original speaker is typically dated a few weeks or months before two-digit date code stamp on the amp's tube chart. Would sound good and enhance the amp's value.

6. twangbanger

twangbanger Member

The Weber version is a good one . Another one I really liked was the tone tubby alnico. It has a real sweet top end that works well with the deluxes extended highs and keeps the low end tight.

7. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if don't at least check out the WGS G12C.

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Send the Jensen to Weber and have it reconed. Have them use a 50 watt voice coil and either the standard 12F150 cone or the 12F150T.

9. tmac

tmac Goldmember

Weber does a good job with re-cones and cost effective too.

10. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

Emi Cannibus Rex. One of the best I've heard for a DR.

11. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

A couple guys in a band we played with had BFDR's with the EVM SRO (coffee cans) Alnicos in both and I have never heard Deluxes sound so good.

12. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

That speaker is great in a DR. If it's my amp I get a plywood baffle made to accomodate the weight. That speaker is know for destroying many a blackface baffle!

13. starjag

starjag Supporting Member

I am biased towards the Scumback M75, 65 watts. Not necessarily a traditional option, but a match made in heaven for my 73 (blackfaced) DR.

14. modernp

modernp Member

Fix it.

15. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

I like the Weber 12A150

16. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Gold Supporting Member

I guess Weber also made speakers for the Scumback line too. From the Scumback website:

Warranty:

Scumback Speakers come with a 1 year warranty...
    Any blue frame Scumbacks that were built by Weber VST up till May, 2011 will need to be warrantied with them directly. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause my clients.

17. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

With the M75... how are the cleans? Fendery or something else?

18. taddertot

taddertot Supporting Member

I might look into re-coning it? Lot's of great suggestions. Also..might depend on what comes up on the board for sale?? thanks guys!

19. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

Do both -- get it fixed and find another option you like. Get the speaker wire hooked up with spade connectors so you can switch them as the mood strikes. More work than I care for nowadays, but it's an option for the curious.

20. sideman

sideman Member

there are alot of reconers. some are listed at www.recone.com. if you ask at your local musical instrument store, and your local amp tech, there may be one in your area.