Who has one or tried The Original Guitar Chair

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tildeslash, Jul 4, 2007.

1. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

2. 67tele

67tele Member

My wife got me the Butterscotch one last birthday and I have to say I Love it. Very comfortable, Oh yea -she also got the matching stool which is a great addition to the chair

3. sukisyn

sukisyn Member

Hmmm .. they look nice enough. If ya get one give us a review. I like that it folds flat for storage.

I been looking at getting a chair from http://www.soundseat.com/ . I like the fact that it has a foot ring and you cab get a retractable foot plate. I am just having a hard time justifying paying $300+ for a chair just for playing guitar... :)

4. da-boogieman

da-boogieman Member

I have had the Sound Seat for several years and like it very much.

5. Milkman

Milkman Member

Wow!

$300. for a chair!

I'm sure it's very nice, but am I the only one who thinks this is excessive?

Pretty much any chair with no arm rests is suitable for playing guitar is it not?

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

$300 for a compressor or delay is also excessive ... unless it happens to be what's best for your needs. Then, over the long term, it's a bargain.

E.g., have you priced chiropractors lately?

7. tildeslash

Yes it is but we're guitar players (nutcases).
    If the chair can make us comfortable thus helping us get that "tone" we're always searching for then it's worth it.

8. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

I like how there's an extra $25.00 option for left hand chairs :rotflmao

9. Milkman

Milkman Member

True enough and duly noted.

I have no knowledge of chiropractors. My back is fine.

10. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have a set of old kitchen chairs that look pretty much like that, but do not fold, nor is there a matching stool. But the whole set probably cost $300 with a maple table :)

11. Milkman

Milkman Member

That was kind of my point, but it's not my money.

I tend to be......frugal? Thrifty? CHEAP?

I'm very much a DIY guy and I guess I could do much more with $300. than just a chair, but again, as was stated earlier, people pay $300. for a pedal, why not $300 for a chair?:AOK

12. tildeslash

What about $125.00 for a pick made out of real meteorite?

13. Milkman

Milkman Member

Pffft. What else would you use while sitting on your $300. chair, playing your $3000. Gibbie through your $100 cord into your $5000. Dumble?

KIDDING:D

14. Structo

Structo Member

You know where to get a Dumble for $5K?

15. tildeslash

$300 chair
    $125 pick
    $50 cable
    $50 patch cables
    $1500 guitar
    $1500 amp
    $500 worth of pedals - probably just 2
    Enjoyment - priceless
    tone - worthless because I am still missing something - maybe $150 guitar strap made of leather and hemp

16. Dana

Dana Guest

Me too. I bought mine about two years ago. Love it and use it every day.

17. Milkman

Milkman Member

LOL, I was waiting for someone to jump on that.

No, I'm afraid I don't.

But shhhhh, put a bag over a $700. Fender and nobody will no the difference.

18. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

I have a chair just like that and it is very comfortable. For all you non-classical players, the chair can make a huge difference in the comfort of your playing. Try this, sit in a normal chair, but don't slouch, and don't let your back touch the back of the chair, otherwise you won't be able to hold your guitar properly. Sit completely upright so your lower back has a nice normal arch. Now, raise one foot up on a footstool which will put tension on your sciatic nerve because your feet are not sitting even. Now put a guitar in your hands and sit this way for three hours. Do this everyday for years and years and see if you develop any lower back or nerve issues. Now go spend $300 on a comfortable chair that relieves 85% of the tension, and see if you think it's worth it?

The reason there is a difference between left and right handed chairs is because there is a curve cut out of the side of the chair that lets you sit back and actually use the seat back for support while you play. With the curve cut on the proper side, you can hold your guitar and use the seatback at the same time and still maintain proper playing position. If you are left-handed, you obviuosly need the chair cut away on the other side since your right foot will now be on the footstool.

If you think $300 bucks is a lot for a chair, go to any furniture store and look at dining room table sets and see what they charge for a solid wood chair with comfortable padding. Then ask them to make is collapsable so you can easily take it with you. Oh yeah, and then tell them to cut the seat with a curve so you can play your guitar while you sit in it. And by the way, it needs to be custom made because there isn't a huge market for classical guitar chairs. After that, $300 bucks is looking better and better.

Cheers!

19. tildeslash

That's it - I am SOLD. I am gonna buy one now - **** I plan on playing guitar till I am on old man - might as well as enjoy every aspect of it just like my boutique cables/picks/guitars/amps/straps and now chair.

20. Kappy

Kappy Supporting Member

People still happy with theirs?

I'm actually looking for one that's more like a bar stool with rings upon which I can rest my foot to rest the guitar on my knee. I like them on the taller side, but it doesn't have to be.

Not really interested in hearing more from the people complaining about the price of things though.