Who makes the Best Dumble Clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mmasters, Jul 4, 2008.

?

Who makes the Best Dumble Clone?

1. Bludotone

2. Fargen

3. Carol Ann

4. Ceriatone

5. Fargen

6. Fuchs

7. Two Rock

8. Glasworks

9. Other Maker

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

Curious to know.

2. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

say it ain't so.

3. 908SSP

908SSP Gold Supporting Member

Well there are clones and there are amps that are derived from the Dumble. In my opinion I made the right choice buying a Glaswerks when I did. The Glaswerks is derived from combining the best of the all three era Dumbles.

4. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Am I beginning to see a pattern here?

5. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

I don't think it's an unreasonable poll. I've heard all these amps mentioned and don't have the patience to go through the thousand post threads on dumble tones so I figure this is more bottom line.

6. LVC

LVC Senior Member

I think it is an unreasonable and misleading poll.

All the builders listed are different.

1. some build Dumble DNA Based amps with their own twists and turns

2. Some build clones from available schematics, and quite frankly a lot of guess work

3. some build amps that try to approximate Dumble "tone" -- god only knows what the hell that means and what are they using as a reference to jump into the "D" market

4. some use the "D" word as an attention getter for the unsuspecting by-passer.

4. some build historical reproductions to very exacting specifications and voicing

Oy Vey :jo

7. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

Well you're entitled to your opinion but I want to hear what people think sounds the best of these.

8. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

As well as the points Laz mentions, how many have played more than one or two of these (except maybe Scott Lerner)? This is the style amp I like, but I've only been able to try three of these, and I live in San Francisco. And just how many Bludos or Glaswerks are out there in the wilds, anyway? Useless poll, IMO.

9. LVC

LVC Senior Member

No -- My opinion is the only one that matters!!!!

Jeeez I think I just accidentally channeled TAG.

Sorry,

Carry on.

Laz

>
    >

10. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

There's enough people that have been to amp shows or traded around these amps. Thanks for your input.

11. jay42

jay42 Member

I won't vote because the question presupposes something that is not quite true. You can't clone a Dumble, because he appears to have had no standard product. Most, if not all Overdrive [Specials] were made for individual players, with their styles, guitar preferences, and desires in mind. It's clear to me that he has a catalog of modular approaches toward specific sonic ends. It makes no sense to compare a Bludotone Bluesmaster to a Fuchs SLX, since they aren't intended to be interchanageable.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Fuchs makes Overdrive Supremes.

Dumble made Overdrive Specials.

Just thought I'd clarify that.

Oh and also.

:hide:munch:munch:hide

13. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

All this snobbery aside I just wanna know what people think sounds the best. Some of yall need to get over yourselves. It's a friggin amp! lol

14. jay42

jay42 Member

I'm not sure why you're talking to me about snobbery, but put another way, some Dumbles sound great with Stratocasters and some sound like crap. The guitar you play, makes a difference in the design you want.

15. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Anytime you ask for the 'best' of anything you will run into trouble, IMO.
    You are polling for opinions on amps that very very few people have actually had hands on experience with all of the varieties you list, and there are more than that.
    Its almost as silly as asking 'whats the best Marshall, or what's the best Fender? Its that vague.
    Even if you were to have been extremely specific- the sample group you could poll from who have actually played all the varieties listed would be ridiculously small- actually just a handful, including Mr. D himself if he were to participate, and most of the builders producing these things.
    Actually, on this Forum, I can only think of perhaps two people who may have played them all.
    Game over.
    Stupid poll.:jo

16. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Steel String Singer? Which Dumble? When? How?

17. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

Plenty of people have heard or played at least 2 or 3 of these.

18. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Yeah, but how many people have heard in or played in person a Dumble, which is the question posited? I mean, how can you evaluate a clone if you don't know the original? And various others above have pointed out that there are so many variations of Dumbles, that the question itself isn't specific enough, nor could it be. Here's my own experience. In over 34 years of playing guitar, I've only heard one Dumble, Stevie's, in person, as I stood next to it while it was being played, onstage, at stage volume. Loud and clean. Loud. Clean. :jo Is that the tone you seek?

19. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

Ok well maybe the question should have been phrased a little differently. I don't think the poll would turn out much different though.

20. derekd

derekd Member

I have no idea. All I know is Dumbles are not in the realm of possibility for me price wise. I narrowed my search down to a Brown Note D'lite (not on your list) and a Ceriatone OTS. I went with the Ceriatone since it was about 1/3 of the Brown Note, and I really liked what Zucker was getting from his.

However, I have not played any of these, nor heard clips on many of them listed. I don't feel qualified to vote, so I didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.