Who Makes Wedge Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JammyDodger, Jul 10, 2012.

1. JammyDodger

JammyDodger Silver Supporting Member

Hey All,

I am trying to find out who makes monitor (wedge) cabinets. I am planning on building a system and would like to buy an unloaded 1 x 12 cabinet.

Anyone know who makes these?

Cheers, Mike

2. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I know Rocktron used to make one, I'm not sure if they still do.

Also, Mesa/Boogie also made a wedge version of their rectifier 2x12 cabinet. Those are kind of rare though, and probably a little expensive.

3. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Silver Supporting Member

4. chameleon101663

chameleon101663 Member

5. chameleon101663

chameleon101663 Member

This one looks the most interesting to me. I almost bought one, but he builds in a baffle that covers the dust cap to help remove the "ice pick" highs. That one thing was a deal breaker for me...I didn't want my dust cap covered.

http://www.tonesonics.com/Tonewedge.html

6. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

What I have done is bought an old used standard wood wedge monitor, replaced its speaker with a Celestion or EV, and remove the crossover. Also wire the Celestion directly to the input jack. This has worked well for very little cash.

7. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Silver Supporting Member

Budget??????????????????????????????????

8. prototype

prototype Supporting Member

i remember steve vai said carvin made him a set, but probably only because he's steve vai. obviously OP needs to work on his long island accent and give carvin a call.

9. RAdkins

RAdkins Supporting Member

10. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

FWIW I used a pair of the Rocktron ones for a few years. I was pleasantly surprised by them sound-wise, but I've broken the plastic handles on both cabs more than once. I've communicated with the fine folks at Rocktron about this each time it's happened and they've always taken care of me (shipped me a replacement in each case - no charge - and well outside of the warranty period). I just wish the handles were made of something like aluminum rather than plastic. It's a known problem.

I've stopped using them over the past 8 months since we've switched to running direct & monitoring via IEM. I can't think of any wedge shaped 1x12 that's better at their price point though. They have a punch that reminds me of a 4x12 - without the bulk & weight of the 4x12 part.

I recently fired up my current rig with these cabs and I still really like their sound.

If you consider these definitely try before you buy if possible - or have a return guarantee. When I bought my 1st pair one of them made a weird rattling noise (at any volume level) I couldn't locate. MF had to re-send me 2 before I finally got a pair that were rattle free. Other than the handle issue - they're held up well for over 3 years now. They're also pretty handy in odd stage spaces.

I fitted my speaker cables with right angle plugs so I can lay them right on their backs and tilt up them slightly if needed. I use a couple short 2x4 blocks for propping them at all sorts of angles. I also fitted mine with the semi-famous "Mitchell Doughnut" acoustic foam treatments. They throw nicely IMHO.

11. JammyDodger

JammyDodger Silver Supporting Member

Thanks - I'll check that out.

What I am looking for is someone who make 'unloaded' monitor wedges. I have a EVM12 speaker and a Matrix g50 that I want to put in it.

Cheers, Mike