who USES a sarno earth drive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sanhozay, Jul 3, 2012.

1. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

i hear raves & keep seeing these turn up with players i admire greatly!

nels cline loves his and rates it as tonally serviceable next to his beloved klon {?}

anybody have one on their board?

2. Goldwing

Goldwing Member

I have one. Great OD. Add a hint of compression and its very transparent, not clear-transparent. It does the "amp on the edge of breakup" very very well and works excellent as a post-OD booster because its smooth and doesn't add mid-hump.

I'm very happy with mine.

3. bradsarno

bradsarno Supporting Member

This is Brad from SMS. All 3 guitarists in Wilco are using the Earth Drive. Andy Summers (The Police, etc.) recently bought a pair of them for his two pedalboards, one compact board for the Brazil tour, and one larger board for the rest of the world... I was told the Earth Drives bumped his Klons off the boards.

B

www.sarnomusicsolutions.com

4. MitchA

MitchA Member

Its also the best I have found for slide guitar to dial in that david lindley dumble sound.I have two as well, Andy Summers! I'm sure he cares....

5. sanhozay

i purchased one before the 4th holiday, so i'm getting excited to receive it and try for myself. should be soon!

i heard john horton and he sounded fantastic using his earth drive {and bearfoot model H}. so, after that show i sourced one after being curious for the past year.

booting a klon in favor of another pedal is high praise, indeed!

6. Ansur

Ansur Member

I've had one on my board for a while now, really great stuff.

7. sanhozay

mine shipped & on the way, yahoo!

will report back after a few run throughs.

8. Emiel

Emiel Member

From the clips it sounds like a great pedal to use with Telecasters! But how is it with humbuckers? I fear it might sound too fat?

9. dysorexia

dysorexia Member

Still prefer my Klon.

10. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

I have one and love it - it goes from very subtle to very dirty and remains musical throughout its whole range.

FWIW, I also have an SMS Classic Tube Preamp; Brad makes really great stuff. :D

11. Hazelwould

Hazelwould Member

Let's see some guts. That knob layout is giving me a subtle hint of nutella and nail polish.

12. sanhozay

just poking around to cause a ****, or did you hear something legit?

here's the guts from the back:

[​IMG]

i'm pretty sure the pedal has been around for a couple of years and the builders reputation very well established and reputable.

if you are taking somebody to task, it only makes sense to back it up with something more. honestly, i do not know the builder, only of his well regarded products - by some of the best in this business - and would love to hear more if the pedal i purchase is suspect in any way.

:bounce

13. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

There is nothing suspect about this pedal or his company, Sarno Music Solutions. Brad Sarno and his wife run a great business with great customer service and a loyal following. His stuff is all top notch.

Here's a recent interview with him in Effects Database.

(Not connected to Brad in any way other than being a satisfied customer and asking him questions/getting good answers on a few forums.)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  14. chops612

chops612 Supporting Member

Brad's great and makes a stellar product. I have an Earth Drive and it definitely spanks on particular rigs. Getting our steel player hooked on the vibe and looking to bring out a Black Box for his rig soon.

And don't be fooled by the pic above... They are still hand built with through hole components, not SMD, which personally always wins.

15. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

Sarno make great preamps for years.

16. Emiel

Emiel Member

Sorry to repeat myself... but how is the Earth Drive with humbuckers? On the website it says "it's the ideal pedal for helping to warm and fatten up a single coil pickup guitar going into a loud and clean amp." Will it be too fat/thick sounding with a humbucker equipped guitar?

Cheers!

17. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

What do you think Sanhozay. This one has my interest too.

Any tonal reference points?

18. sanhozay

hasn't arrived yet, but due next week. brad quoted 4 week lead time but he shipped in 3 weeks. so, i was pleased with that!

i heard john horton play through his and always like the demo by gary hunt. those are my only references. i only keep two drives on my board, and sometimes a fuzz. always changing things around. i've heard people describe the earth drive as a tube screamer, a dumble pedal, a butler tube driver, a klon like clean boost. that's a lot of tones!

19. Rob E

Rob E Supporting Member

I find it a bit too fat/thick with humbuckers when using it with what would be considered "normal" settings. Where is really shines for me using humbuckers is to turn the drive all way down and the volume all up. Using it as more of a boost I guess, but it works very well for me.

20. moredirt

moredirt Supporting Member

Personal Service Announcement that I'm trolling for one of these in the Emporium if someone's got one they need to move.

Thanks,

Brad