why do people put hoops in their ear lobes?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by saxophonist56, Sep 2, 2013.

1. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Member

i just don't get it. got to be permanently disfiguring. edit....

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. newking70

newking70 Supporting Member

:munch

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Why do people do anything? Or anything that I or you don't understand?

There is no meaningful answer you could get to that question. People do different things that you don't get, because we are all different, and some re very different, and some just want desperately to be different, others actually are out of the norm.

It has always been that way, and I guess always will be. It's a good thing to remember...I forget it sometimes, but there's quite a range of things we humans do, for a huge range of reasons.

4. Davyc

Davyc Member

I'm thinking the OP is referring to tunnels, not hoops. Tunnels go through the ear and are often stretched larger over time as larger tunnels are popped in to replace the smaller ones. As to why, why not? They obviously like the look. It's simply fashion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesh_tunnel

5. newking70

newking70 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

6. partytrain

partytrain Member

An attempt to look different.....which in turn makes them look like everyone else who is trying to look different.....

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Supporting Member

Ah yes, this old line.

It is a type of fashion, just like not putting loops in one's ears, or getting a tattoo, or a piercing, or a hair style, or wearing Hawaiian shirts, or a mustache, or a beard, or being clean shaven, and so on.

8. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

It's called "guaging".

9. tonegangster

tonegangster Member

I saw a guy not too long ago at Starbucks whose holes were so big without the gauge in, it looked like puppy dog ears. I understand fashion and pushing the norms of society but, I just felt sorry for this guy. Now that I'm a little older I can't help but think what this guy will have to go through. Not getting a great job, being made fun of, and eventually painful surgery to correct it.

10. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The difference in this case is that it's permanent, so it's hard to classify as a fashion or style. Fashion changes, and people often adopt whatever's currently in vogue. It's not like switching from bell bottoms to skinny jeans, dying one's hair or even multiple piercings. Ear gauges are with you for life, even more so than tattoos.

I have no opinion on the matter, but it's a somewhat more radical and extreme road to take while trying to convey individuality and uniqueness.

11. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Supporting Member

They didn't get enough hugs.

12. Ron_R

Ron_R Member

So a plastic surgeon can make lots of money fixing their ears when they enter "the real world" and realize that they will never get a "real" job with those monster loops in their ear lobes.

13. TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc Member

14. s2y

s2y Member

Or they just work at Trader Joes.........:p

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I agree but I think only SOME that do it are trying to convey that. Some do it for other reasons, maybe not even sure WHY but they want to do it.

I'm guessing, from experience, some also do it to sort of "lock themselves" out of a mainstream future. As you say, you can cut your long hair you had in the 70s, but this is a little harder to change once it's done.

But then, you do see older folks tht are tattooed all over the place, and they maybe never wanted that corporate job, etc. and many still don't seem to have had bad lives from it. They hang with friends that are of a like mind, and look, and still...when a "straighter" person meets them, it isn't like you recoil in horror.

They are just people, that for whatever reason (probably many different reasons) decided "That is for me".

I'm glad I never did anything like that, because when I look back at what I thought was cool, etc. I tend to think "how did I once think THAT was cool?" but many people are not like me, or you, and for them maybe it is a good thing to do.

16. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Silver Supporting Member

It makes me sick to look at it. Yesterday I had a hard time making eye contact with a clerk at the GC who was ringing me up. It's just disgusting and unsightly.

17. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Some people feel the same about tats.

18. Ron_R

Ron_R Member

ROFLMAO!!

19. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Really? Really? :facepalm

20. Ron_R

Ron_R Member

Gaudy tats on the neck and face I agree. But tats you can cover if they are on another parts.