Why don't car dealers have "loaners" anymore?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jcmark611, Aug 2, 2012.

1. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

I'm having to take my car (which is still under warranty) in for a recall. While there I'm getting some regular maintenance done to it as well (oil change, clear coat, tire rotation) all in all we are talking about 6 or 7 hours of solid work. The earliest I can leave my car at the dealer is 1:30pm. They then ask me if I want to drop it off and pick it up the next day OR just wait.

I was floored.

So then I asked, "You want me to stay there? I don't have alternative means of transportation." "Yes sir, we will do the clear coating first and just make sure not to get fingerprints on the car during the rest of the process."

I'm still amazed.

I asked what will happen if they don't get it finished that day. "Oh, don't worry sir, we will get it done that day. You won't need alternate transportation."

What the is going on here? Why not just offer me a loaner or something so they can take their time and do the job right? It can't be that hard, can it?

2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

You went to the wrong dealership?

3. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

Mine does and my car is out of warranty and 7 years old. ( Hyundai )

4. dascher

dascher Member

Not related to this thread at all but I love the kimock quotes. Was thinking about using my favorite quote for a sig, it was something like "That might be the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard and this is where I go to read dumb sh*t"

5. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

My Audi dealership does.
    They gave me a 2010 A4....and then proceeded to tell me my 2007 A3 is out of warranty...things are going to get interesting rather quickly...

6. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

Both dealerships I take my cars to have loaners. Time to change!

7. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I have an extended warranty. If it takes more than 24 hours to fix my car they pay for a rental. Otherwise, they have shuttle to take you home and pick you up.

8. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Do all dealers have the Auto Butler? Will the other dealer get upset that I'm only using their service center and didn't buy my car from them?

9. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Silver Supporting Member

Partly my fault. When I was 16, I had to take my parents' car into the shop. The dealer gave me an old car as a loaner, a gigantic 1974 Olds Delta 88, which I proceeded to wreck. Quite amazing how a car like that will swat a Ford Ranchero out of the way like it wasn't even there. At any rate, that particular dealer modified their loaner policy after that.

10. EthanB

EthanB Member

The dealership where I work also provides loaners. Benz to Benz owners, Lincoln to Lincoln owners, Mazda to Mazda owners, and Mitsubishi to all others.

11. EthanB

EthanB Member

No... we love it when people service with us. :)

12. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

Mine gave me a loaner but I was out a car for 3 days.

I was driving home on an interstate doing 75....ish, and I heard a BOOM! (much like a gunshot) Scared the hell out of me! Then it sounded like my car was getting nailed with hail (not a cloud in the sky). I looked in my rear view mirror and it looked like a bunch of rocks were bouncing off my roof....

My sunroof (something that I find completely worthless on a vehicle) exploded. Literally exploded.

Warranty covered it plus painting the roof due to the glass scratches. They gave me a loaner for a day then got me a proper rental vehicle.

13. amigo30

amigo30 Member

My VW dealership has given me a loaner just for an oil-change and basic maintenance. My Jeep dealership? I think the only way I'd get a loaner there was if I offered to do something that's illegal in every state except Alabama.

14. gregc

gregc Member

I always get a loaner at my MINI dealership.

15. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

The Nissan dealer offers a loaner but I always bring my bike and ride it into work when I have the car serviced.

16. elterrell

elterrell Member

The Volvo guys are pretty alright -- the guys there let me pick out the loaner I want. Maybe I am there too much.

17. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

Some do loaners, some don't. My wife drives an '02 Infiniti and they give her one for anything, including oil change if she doesn't want to wait. I have an '08 Honda and I don't get one where I take it (although they probably would for overnight work).

18. Frankee

Frankee Low-rent hobbyist Gold Supporting Member

There's one out in my driveway right now.

19. donthasslethehoff

donthasslethehoff Member

when I got my trunk monkey installed it was hassle free

20. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Some dealers have loaners, can't recall the last one I went to that didn't have at least a shuttle pick-up/drop-off service if you don't wait to wait while they worked on your car.

All those things are expensive though.