why no love for wraparounds?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by minorseventh, Jun 4, 2009.

1. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

slim pickings for set neck guitars with wraparound bridges.

theres a few PRS models, a couple of Hamers, and a few older Gibsons. Im sure theres others out there, but Im not finding much.

this leads me to believe the demand for a wraparound isnt very high, as even the cheaper guitars all ship with TOM style bridges, when a 1 piece must be less expensive to manufacture. right?!

I like them because they feel different, looser than a TOM, and I get that cool bendy thing going on. plus they just look cool!
    Since I cant really find one Im thinking of converting my sg-x and plugging the extra post holes (bad idea I know), or maybe picking up an epiphone and butchering that instead... but then id need to remove 3 pounds of poly first.:rolleyes:

2. Maess

Maess Member

Because its hard to set the intonation on them and getting the right setup on them is a PITA. Individually adjustable saddles = win.

3. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

I've never used them - but I assume a any particular wrap around bridge has specific string gauge recommendations? True? If not then how would you get the intonnation right?

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Supporting Member

Actually, set up is simple.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Nergalled

Nergalled Member

Can't intonate them.

6. Maess

Maess Member

Yes because thats a wrapover with adjustable saddles. I am assuming that's an after market part, correct?

7. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

maybe I dont understand. why cant they be intonated?

8. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

If the guitar is constructed well (i.e. exact measurements), you shouldn't have any issues with a wrap-around bridge. The PRS wrap-around bridge does have two small allen screws against the bridge posts that can adjust the intonation if needed for different strings gauges, but I haven't needed to adjust the bridge with 9's or 10's.

These bridges also feel a lot better on your hand when palm muting (no spiky saddles/screws to deal with).

[​IMG]

9. gkoelling

The guitar is a Prairiewood Special, built by TGP member 57 Special. The Pig Tail is original equipment.

10. Maess

Maess Member

^^^

That's an aftermarket part, name me one guitar that comes with that type of wrapover standard.

11. gkoelling

They can, some guys just don't like anything that's more than .00000000000001 of a cent off.

12. jrw32

jrw32 Supporting Member

I like a variety of bridge-types & trems, etc. I think I like the feel of trem-equipped guitars a little better, but I much prefer the clean/simple look of wraparounds, & actually find them (at least on my PRS Standard below) easier to intonate, tuning is definitely more stable, & better sustain when compared to my trem-equipped guitars:

[​IMG]

13. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

all I was asking is why people dont like them. the parts are there. we have the technology.

and off the top of my head old BC Riches used leo quan badass bridges stock, and then their own quad design, and even gibson used something similar on the spirit series in the mid 90's. im sure there are others.

14. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Edwards makes a guitar with a wraparound. PRS, Gibson, etc.

dk

15. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

these PRS bridges look sturdy as hell. Ive never been fond of the PRS because of the glass finishes, but I might have to give them another look now...

16. Maess

Maess Member

I thought you were asking a question rather than trying to start an argument. Now that I know that's not the case I'm done with this thread.

17. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

what????
    I have never argued once in this forum. what in the world gave you the idea that I am being the least bit confrontational?
    wow.
    I was indeed asking a question, and if a discussion ensued, then so be it.

18. gkoelling

That guitar came from the builder with that part as stock.

19. billy budapest

billy budapest Supporting Member

I have two guitars with wraparound bridges - a Melody Maker RI and a Les Paul DC Studio - and despite my initial skepticism I was impressed with how spot-on the intonation was on each of them.

I've been toying with the idea of switching to a Leo Quan on the LP, but I really like the smooth feeling of the wraparound on the heel of my hand.

20. drbob1

drbob1 Supporting Member

They have the reputation of being hard to intonate. Since no bothers to intonate their guitar anyway (well, some of you obsessives may but I'll bet 90% of guitars out there are never intonated between delivery and fiery death) so it's kind of a moot point. I think there's kind of a prejudice that a proper guitar has a strat, tele, stop-tail, Floyd or Bigsby bridge and the wraps get used for "vintage style" instruments. Just a prejudice, but unfortunate...