Why shouldn't I get a Hot Cat 30R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mc_deli, May 7, 2013.

1. mc_deli

mc_deli Member

I've had a Fender Super 60 (red knob) for 20 years. Never found use for the clean channel. Always just used a bluesy (no presence, drive on 3-3.5) setting on the gain channel. I wanted a new 2 channel amp with a usable clean channel. I got a Supersonic 22. But it has had to go back because of various faults.

I don't think I can face dealing with another amp from the Supersonic range in case I have to send it back. I have already lost two months in amp ping pong.

I know it is double the money. But I haven't bought an amp in 20 years. The Hot Cat ticks all the boxes. I have mix of HB and SC guitars and 1x12 and reverb built-in. The idea of the built-in solo boost is nice too. And I love cats.

Why shouldn't I get a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R?

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Supporting Member

If the money is available, there is never a reason to not get a Bad Cat. Unless there is a matchless available.

3. berardi

berardi Member

Because you may want a Black cat and still don't know it.

4. gls500

gls500 Member

I've got nothing. Get it!

5. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

That may be their finest amp. You should get it for sure. It will be the last amp you buy for at least another 20 years at least. Lifetime warranty and 30 day return policy makes it a no brainer. I am a huge bad cat fan boy because their amps are incredible and their customer service is the best. I wouldn't buy a matchless over a bad cat for the service alone not to mention the Matchless is $4000 for literally almost the same amp!!!! You get more for your money from bad cat. Finest amps around IMO

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  6. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Member

Smart guy.

7. SirGilmour

Fixed. ;)

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Don't rule out the Black Cat. I had similar needs to yours and ended up ordering the Black Cat 15R after much research and discussion with John at Bad Cat. Great people to deal with and fantastic amps. What is there to lose???

9. sleeperaxe

sleeperaxe Supporting Member

Here's what you get when you buy a new Bad Cat:

1) An amazing amp
    2) A lifetime warranty
    3) A relationship with a company whose president will personally respond via PM, email, or phone call to your concerns. I have never gotten better customer service from any company, ever.

Don't hesitate. Buy it. And don't listen to everybody saying "but this one is good too!" Of course they're good. But you know what you like. So go get it.

10. SirGilmour

This is basically what I was trying to say.

11. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

just get it! i'm sure you won't be let down!

i was considering the Hot Cat 15R head, but i decided to go with the Black Cat 15R. my high-gain needs tend to shift too much to think i'd be set for life with one sound. (even though the Hot Cat is AWESOME.)

i've actually heard a few people buy a Hot Cat and almost play exclusively on the "clean" side of the amp... because it sounds so good!

good luck!

12. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Bonnie Raitt seems to like her's. They sure sound good.

13. mc_deli

mc_deli Member

I am not in the US so I would get a lifetime relationship with an amp - but I very much appreciate the overwhelming sentiment of the comments.

Time for a serious trial

14. joeprs

joeprs Silver Supporting Member

Bad Cat is built like a tank. There may be other products as good, but I don't think there are many, if any, that are better.

I sold 3 combos and 1 head to help finance my Cub IIR and I have no regrets. I thought I needed more power, but 15 watts, class A power is plenty for me. This is the best sounding amp I own. I play it clean, mostly, with a pedal in front (I am shopping for a pedal and am leaning toward a Bad Cat pedal), but I do enjoy driving the amp when I don't need to switch from clean to dirty.

I'm still playing around, tweaking, etc., and I have found some tones I prefer over others, but to be honest, there isn't a bad sound in this amp. I've only had it a month, so I don't know if the speaker is even broken in yet. Yes, I'm probably still in the honeymoon phase, but I think I will always be. I like it that much!

15. rusty a.

rusty a. Member

it's STILL on my short list of "maybe someday" gear lusts...sounds like you deserve it and it fits the bill! BUT if it makes you feel better, buy two and i'll send you my address and some $$ to cover shipping...hahahaha

16. davros

davros Member

No reason at all - unless a 15 watter is loud enough for you.

The Black Cats are excellent amps IMO.

D

17. xdavidandrewx

xdavidandrewx Member

I completely agree. I would call John and talk to him about what you are looking for before you make your mind up. I am a cub fan but i truly love the Fat cat and the Black cat as well.

18. xdavidandrewx

xdavidandrewx Member

Yes, I'm probably still in the honeymoon phase, but I think I will always be. I like it that much!

There is no honey moon stage with the cub IIR! I've had my Cub 30R for 6 months and I am still amazed how good it sounds especially when I get it on stage :)

19. joeprs

joeprs Silver Supporting Member

:aok:rockin

I'll never forget the look on my bass player and other guitar player's faces when they first heard my Cub IIR, their jaws just dropped and their eyes opened wide in amazement! That's when I knew I made the right choice for sure, hearing the amp with the other instruments playing along.

20. axelfoley

axelfoley Supporting Member

I would research all the models before settling on the hc30r. It is a great sounding amp but it is not a bedroom amp. The volume comes on pretty fast, especially on the clean channel.
    Dont get me wrong the tone is amazing. It just wouldn't be my first choice unless I was using it to gig regularly. Some of the other models are a lot more volume friendly and in my experience with these amps it's better to find one that has the clean tone and medium grind that you like and then goose the front end with dirt to get where you want to go. This also allows you to keep all of your "effects loop" pedals out front which makes everything easier.