Yamaha Wes Borland Signature?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by googoobaby, Jul 24, 2007.

1. googoobaby

googoobaby Supporting Member

Anyone play one of these in real life? I know almost nothing about the man, but the guitar really appeals to me (long scale, semi hollow, sidewinder pole pickups, and a really cool looking trem and lock nut).

[​IMG]

2. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I think I read a article a couples months back where they had a pic of him with one. Looks intresting.

3. skyblue

skyblue Member

That thing should be able to make you do it all for the nookie.

4. kovachian

kovachian Member

Why did they have to put a Floyd Rose-ish steaming pos on it? This is why metalheads should be flogged for trying to design hollow or semi-hollow bodies.

5. Hackubus

Hackubus Supporting Member

Wut the heck is that thing at the top of the nut?

6. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

The nut is a "lateral locking" nut. The strings are pinched side by side instead of clamped down as on a Floyd or Kahler nut. The gizmo hanging off the side is an adjustable lever that does the pinching. It only requires a quarter turn between locking and unlocking all the strings.
    I've seen ToM / Stoptail versions too, I believe they were just for Wes though.

7. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Actually... This flody rose design is quite cool. Mainly because you don't need allen keys (and any other gears) to clamp/unclamp it. The nut also uses a lever at the side to lock it - no allen keys needed. If I am not wrong, you don't need to cut off the ball ends too, just feed the string thru the trem.
    However, non-locking trem posts and a really thin/small trem block... ugh... Gimme the old please.

The guitar itself retails for a whooping 3500 Singapore Dollars here. You can buy an Ibanez JEM, or 2 Ibanez Presteiges, or a Gibson and a half with that kind of $.

Youtube wes borland for some vids where he demos the yamaha guitar, or at least plays with the yamaha. He uses the floyd is quite an... un-metal manner I would say.

8. Antero

Antero Member

Question.

Wouldn't a Floyd bridge defeat the purpose of having a semi-hollow body? I mean, wouldn't the strings be attached to this floating bridge, removing the impact of basically all the body resonance?

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Might be an oddly designed guitar, but then again look at who designed it:

[​IMG]