Zachary guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by brikus, Nov 15, 2010.

1. brikus

brikus Senior Member

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/

I kinda like his Z3 design, which sort of revisits that of the strat, but what I especially love is his sense of humour ! :D

Excerpt :

I feature a lot of idiots on this site but its time I posted some really intelligent feedback I got. (also on the Zach Perspective page)
    If you are an idiot, read these comments and try to comprehend them, you may just learn something and it could make all the difference for you. Those circle jerk forums have really done their damage on you. You can come here to be de-programmed.

The dude is sooooo funny. :D

Here's the page of his past and present builds...
    http://www.zacharyguitars.com/Currently_for_Sale.htm
    Note that when you click on pretty much any model, the title of the web page will be...another brand ! :D

Anyone here has dealt with him or owned one of his guitars ?

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Silver Supporting Member

AFAIK you cant just buy one of his guitars. It seems like he has to deem you worthy. I like the look of the Rkc 480 copy he makes though. I dont think I would spend $2500 on one though.

3. marsos52

marsos52 Member

agreed
    i been to zacharys site to many times,,there is some thing just not right..

4. tonic-penta

tonic-penta Member

poor chap, must be living in his own world thinking the whole world is hating and doing him the biggest disservice. he sure does need a daily dose of "look in the friggin mirror"

5. brikus

brikus Senior Member

No, I think all the attitude on the website is not to be taken literally. To me, quite obviously, the whole website is pretty much tongue in cheek.

6. cardamonfrost

cardamonfrost Member

"No wonder "luthiers" must go down a different road from me; of inlays, fancy wood, glossy finishes, CNC "precision", Plek machine fret work, sucking the dick of every hack guitar consumer. The bottom line; its non-players, making guitars for non-players. A distasteful and contemptible combination, to say the least. No wonder the results are what you find."

wow, dude is obviously functioning at a differnt level. Im kinda amazed he can find customers....

7. brikus

brikus Senior Member

I can understand that kind of rhetoric can appeal to some people...especially when they share his sense of humour. :D

8. whoismarykelly

Might be worth questioning whether he is actually trying to find customers...

9. brikus

brikus Senior Member

The list of sold guitars seems to indicate he doesn't need to anyway...

10. verhoevenc

verhoevenc Silver Supporting Member

I've seen some interaction between him and another forum in the past. He's definitely a weird dude, IMHO. There's a couple things that scare me about the guy:
    1- His site says (or at least used to) that he doesn't bother sanding out all of the tooling marks cause he thinks that tooling marks are the sign that it was hand made... Which simply says to me there's a lack of pride in craftsmanship and he may be willing to cut corners.
    2- Also, he contradicts himself on a number of his "ideological" points. Somewhere on the giant labyrinth that is his site he mentions things like not liking hollows in guitars, yet he then goes and makes a guitar with giant holes drilled all the way through it and claims it benefits tone?
    3- I don't agree with all the "benefits" he claims of his headstock design.
    4- He does demo videos in his tighty whities...
    5- Watch the demo video of the guy pictured at the top of his homepage. I forget the guy's name, but he does a demo where he just abuses the trem to show how well a Zach plays... and the trem was putting strings out of tune, the guitar sounded tin-y, etc.
    These are all things I noticed over a year ago, so I'm not 100% sure they're all still there, so sorry if they aren't, but I'm not wading through that seizure-causing multi-colored site to find citations again lol.
    My $.02, that's all. I have never PERSONALLY played one.
    Chris

11. ttuck

ttuck Member

I met him and played a few of his guitars at one of the Philly Shows a few years back. Guitars were just OK in terms of sound and playability. I didn't like the appearance at all , and I thought that they were overpriced. I really tried to like the instruments but they just didn't do it for me. He's a bit different , he thought quite highly of himself and his instruments and spent a lot of time dumping on some other manufacturers whose instruments are in my opinion far superior to his. Just my opinion, YMMV.

12. whoismarykelly

I would think he would be watered down significantly in person. His site shouts "you're probably an asshole for even looking at my page" and in person you cant really get away with that :rotflmao

13. Route234

Route234 Member

I hate his headstock. It looks so cheap. I do like the Z3 design though. Not sure I could buy a guitar from someone like him. Reminds me of Ed Roman for some reason. I think some of his wood choices and other design elements scream "cheap" to me and there are a lot of builders in his price range that are drama free.

Things like picking wood out of IKEA dumpsters may be "chich" to some people, but Im not buying a guitar made from cutting boards and kitchen cabinet cast offs.

14. magnus02

magnus02 Member

this guy and his site have come up before for obvious reasons...

i think he's an idiot and would NEVER pay a penny for what he's building, all pretty hideous if you ask me

i have a very dry sense of humor but still can't go along with his

check out his pedal... that will get a laugh if nothing else... he mocks other expensive pedals and then puts out a $400 one... yea, that's who i want to fork money over to

and his soundclips (yes yes, i know its just a compressed sound clip) are pretty horrible

15. Fenderkid67

Fenderkid67 Member

I hate this guy..... I can't stand people like him.

16. sahhas

sahhas Member

those are cool guitars.
    the headstock he uses for the hard times z is what i was thinking of for my next guitar project.
    cool guitars, cool site!

17. The bear

The bear Member

I think he should get together with Ed Roman-they have a lot in common!

18. cteaghin

cteaghin Member

I wasn't going to bother checking out the site until i read this point. Now I have to find out!

19. sahhas

sahhas Member

been listening to some youtube clips, a nice sounding guitar. love the z2 looks and sound!

20. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

The string tension rant is right on.

Everything else.. pure hogwash.