Zion Guitar Technology - show me what you got!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by guitardude5, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

It is a Classic Maple with extras.
    effective 4/25/07
    MSRP $3095
    AAAAA Quilt Maple Top $250
    Ebony finger board $60
    Barden pickups $250
    Black hardware $125
    Recessed Original Floyd Rose with locking nut $250
    Matching Headstock $150

Before you jump to any conclusions, bear in mind these are retail prices. See a dealer for purchase price : http://www.zionguitars.com/main.asp?template=contact&level1=Zion%20Dealer%20Network This a dolled up piece. You are paying for extras.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

3. walker22

walker22 Supporting Member

Ken, on that classic maple on my previous post, can you tell me when it was made going by the serial number? I bought it for 1500.00 today, I have never been this excited about a guitar purchase. This will be my second zion.

my first was this one:

[​IMG]

4. r9player

r9player Member

5. LTE

LTE Member

Ken,

Just wondering when was the moment you thought, "Wow, I really am doing something good with this job."

6. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

7. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

There was never a moment like that! This job seems more glamorous than it really is. Don't get me wrong! I am very thankful, I was able to do it. It is harder than you think and there are much more lucrative jobs. You do it more for love than money!

8. Ed-Venture

Ed-Venture Member

This is just another reason why Ken Hoover is such a great guy, and why Zion's are such great guitars.

I admire and have a lot of respect for you, Ken. I feel honored and privileged to know you.

Ed Wilson

9. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

Coming from a guy that had such a huge collection (already had sold 10 when photos were taken) the honor and privilege is mine! and for such a noble cause!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

I for 1 have wanted a Zion for a long time; maybe someday.....

11. tythety

tythety Gold Supporting Member

I echo Ed's feelings. I'm originally from the Greensboro area, visited the shop when I was 18. From then on, I've always dreamed of owning a Zion. Now that I have acquired two, I'm ready to sell my other guitars just to get more Zions. They are the best made guitars I know of period and Ken has been a gracious advisor to all of us Gear Heads. It's very rare to have this kind of contact with such a master luthier. THANKS KEN.

My question of the week - I've seen some pictures on your myspace from the collection of Jonathon S. Fiermonti. Through a freak trade I indirectly acquired his Denim Blue Custom that is pictured with a beautiful Ninety. Does anyone know him and if he still has that guitar?

Thanks

12. guitardude5

guitardude5 Supporting Member

Hi Ty, that's me, Jonathan. Been a bit since I've posted on this thread. Congrats on picking up that Classic Maple! It is actually Royal Mist in color. I know Scott changed the pups. Does it still have the Anderson pickups? I still think about that guitar a lot. Unfortunately, I don't have that Ninety anymore. I sold it to a fellow TGP member. He was actually looking for a really nice dressed up Ninety for a bit, and I got to talking with him. He was diagnosed terminally ill, and didn't have much time left. I wound up selling him that guitar. Sadly, I think he may have passed. He hasn't been on TGP since last September. I'm glad to know he was able to enjoy that great guitar.

13. guitardude5

I'm one of the guys who actually sold a set of Bardens for over $700. I think it was somewhere around $750. The guy who bought them LOVED them. He was so happy to have a set. About 3 weeks after I sold them, Barden had a press release saying the pups were going to be made again. I had no idea they were going to be in production again. I felt bad, but a lot of high end gear is a gamble. I was just talking with my brother earlier today about trends in gear. In the late 80's/early 90's, amps were bigger and louder - 100 watts+ and multiple speaker cabinets loaded with 4x12 speakers brought big money. Have a look in the emporium, you can get some really good deals right now. The entire high end market is soft. What I have noticed is that low wattage amps with power scaling is the latest trend still commanding great resale. How about pedals you can't get anymore - Fulltone '69's going for over $250 on ebay:messedup. Certain swirly painted pedals selling for 7 to 8X the original price. Who would have thought. The trick is to announce it's no longer made or treat your customers in a disinterested manner. We're a strange bunch (gear hounds)

14. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

SHOT TAKEN BEFORE HE STARTED SELLING THEM TO PAY FOR HIS WIFE GOING BACK TO SCHOOL. GOOD CHOICE! FAMILY BEFORE GUITARS!!

[​IMG]

15. guitardude5

Thanks, Ken. It's easy to get some nice guitars, (warning - after school special ahead:rolleyes:) but it's not easy to get an education. I still have five of those guitars. I'll put off selling them as long as possible. Hopefully I won't have to. My wife, Christen, is pregnant with twins right now, so I may have to sell off a few more to pay the diaper bill:moon.

16. LTE

LTE Member

Love that Primera. Do you take bits of string?

I can also add my left nut to even the trade.

:D

17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Is it bone or graphite?

18. guitardude5

:jo If I was ever in a pickle and had to widdle away my guitars, my #9 Keaggy would certainly be the last of the Zions to go. I wish more people could get their hands on them to try. They would surely dig it. It is one of the easiest, best playing guitars I have ever held. It's also one of the prettiest, IMHO. Sorry no trades on it:nono

19. tythety

tythety Gold Supporting Member

Here's a sweet ZION I found in Japan. I just figured out how you guys were uploading pictures - I think??? (and I'm a Video/Mac engineer!!) Enjoy! Got more if you want em...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ty Roberts
    IMAGINATION > KNOWLEDGE

20. guitardude5

Ty,

That guitar is just gorgeous! My wife asked me what was wrong when I said, "WOW!" I guess I startled her a bit. :worried When you said you found it in Japan, were you saying you just bought another one? Or were you pointing out a hot lookin' guitar?

Jonathan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.