Zion Guitar Technology - show me what you got!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by guitardude5, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitardude5

guitardude5 Supporting Member

2. doc2iron

doc2iron Supporting Member

Jon,
    Still have the whole rig, rack mounted.
    Works and sounds great, This is one of my coolest guitars!
    doc

3. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

[​IMG]

Actual shot from doc2iron
    How to:
    1. Copy url code from host ie. photobucket. (code beginning with http://www..............) Highlight it. Then hit Ctrl+C simultaneously.
    2. Click on box that looks like postcard (with mountains on it)under message.
    3. Paste url on line by hitting Ctrl+V simultaneously.
    4. Image will automatically be inserted into message.

4. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Ultrasonic pickups! I remember those - Suck Tone!

5. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

The original idea behind those pickups was to use them with a sampling equalizer. You could click on stored preset samples of various guitars. They were flat response so they could be EQed to samples of all kinds of guitars. A pretty novel idea that worked great if you had the EQ.

Without the EQ, they sound flat compared to highly colored conventional pickups.

With doc2iron's synth output, he has such a wide palette of sounds, I doubt it is an issue.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

My baby :)

[​IMG]

7. slo100

slo100 Member

Well, it's not a Zion but I bought this guitar from Ken around 1989 from the Holbrook St. location. I worked all summer to save up the money for this guitar and spent nearly all my summer savings on it the day I got back to UNC-G. That left me with no cash for the rest of the semester. Gee I have not changed much since then!

On a customer service note, I needed a super short turnaround on a repair once just before a gig and the Zion guys did it while I waited...for a punk college kid, no less. Awesome guys who put up with lots of dumb questions from me and always welcomed people into the shop to check out the manufacturing process.

Remember this guitar, Ken?

[​IMG]

8. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

9. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

Cool new image![​IMG]

10. r9player

r9player Member

awesome shot Ken!

11. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

12. Darth Tater

13. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

14. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

I'm looking to get a Zion and have found a used Ninety for $1,300. Good deal? It has Joe Barden pickups.

15. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

It is not my intent to come off as a jerk, so please take this as it is intended... honest and open advice. That said, ultimately you have to be the one to decide if it's a good deal. Compare what you would get for your money with other guitars that are out there. What would a similarly equipped new one cost? Bardens are expensive, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will work better for you. Would you pay the money to get Bardens in a new one? Is there anything about this guitar that you would want to change? Does this particular guitar speak to you? These are just some of the questions you may want to ask yourself.

There have been a few guitars that really spoke to me and in a couple of cases I have paid more than market value to get them. I have never regretted buying those exceptional guitars. On the other hand, I have bought many guitars because they were a good deal. Those are usually the ones I never seem to bond with. Just my $0.02. YMMV.

16. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

No offense taken. It has everything I would want and is a price I can afford. It is just so hard to find range on the net on what they go for. I completetely understand where you are coming from.

Just having trouble having the guy respond back to me and I'm getting nervous.:(

17. guitardude5

guitardude5 Supporting Member

beatlenut,

A Ninety is a GREAT guitar. I was happy to hear that Bardens are being made again. That put them back in the realm of somewhat reasonably priced pickups (not $750 a set that they were around the start of this year). I think it's worth a shot. You can see from the previous posts that I really do like Zion guitars. Like you said in your last post, it's got everything you want at a price you can afford. The fact that it's a great playing/sounding guitar is a nice plus, too. Go for it.

I know how it feels to not get a response. If somebody is really busy, a quick "I'll get to you XX" email or phone message is all it takes. That being said, a lot of us here on TGP endure the same situation when it comes to gear. Certain pedals, guitars, amps, etc have the same thing going on. It doesn't make us want them any less.

Best of luck to you!

18. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I have seen used ninetys for as little as 800.This was a a guitar show 10 years ago in Greensboro where there were 10 other guitars just like it floating around and Barden was a little known pickup builder... that being said I havent laid eyes on a 90 since that day. They are fabulous guitars...wish I'da jumped on that one back then

19. Darth Tater

The best thing about Bardens being made again is the image I get from people kicking their own a$$es for paying $750 for a set last year then realizing that wow...these aren't THAT great.

I had nothing but bad luck out of those pickups.

20. doc2iron

doc2iron Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.