Zion Guitar Technology - show me what you got!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by guitardude5, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snakum

Snakum Member

Glad to see another one of our local builders getting props on TGP. I've never owned a Zion, but my cousin's son in Lenoir, NC is crazy about them and has owned three or four. He has a bunch of pics of himself with Ken and with Phil.

Given my love for Strat-style guitars, it's odd that I never tried one. Probably the same reason I didn't drive to Raleigh last month to play that Fuchs ODS 30 combo at IDS. :D

2. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

3. kevmo777

kevmo777 Member

Hey Ken

I want to say you have built some awesome guitars! I picked up this powerglide about 3 years ago. I just had to have one after I saw and read about Bob Hartman's on his site. This is by far my favorite guitar amoungst a collection of high dollar customs! It not only plays and soulds great-it's looks say, "I can rock like no other". The clearcoat has yellowed over the years giving a shade to the metallic silver that is undescribable! It is very hard to capture this on camera.

I had this radicaster built by Dale in '02. I actually went to Raliegh and picked out the slab of wood I wanted for the body and neck. I ordered the custom inlays in the neck as well. Dale told me that only 4 other zions have this cusom inlay. I truely enjoy playing my zions. Ken I believe that you guitar building was a revolution to custom axes. Thanks for your hard work and awesome personality! What I like most about zion guitars is the name and what it means and the people who build them and thier customer service.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Rickfox

Rickfox Member

Hey Guitardude!! Love that new Zion with the SSH pup set-up!! I have a Zion Powerglide that I bought from Ken back in 1986! It's got an EMG SSH
    arrangement with a Floyd. I love this guitar still, but the EMG sound is getting very mid-rangy to me. I'm thinking of installing a Duncan SSH set. Can you please tell me what Duncans are in yours? There is so much to choose from on their website. I really need guidance!!
    Thanks!!
    Rick

5. TooManyToys

TooManyToys Guest

Hi everyone. Long time Zion fan here. I owned a Turbo back in the 80's modeled after Bob Hartman's guitar. I sold it and have regretted it ever since.

I'm considering getting a new Radicaster built up, and I'm not a big fan of floating vibrato bridges. I'd much rather have a trem that sits flush on the body. Does anyone know if Zion can set up a Wilkinson that way, or if they offer any non-floating tremolo options?

Thanks for any wisdom that can be shared!

6. guitardude5

guitardude5 Supporting Member

That guitar was a beauty! I had to sell off some gear to fund my wife's education. She is scaling back her paid work hours so she can devote more time to her studies. Thankfully, that guitar went to another TGP member who LOVES that guitar. It has Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups in the neck/middle position and a JB in the bridge. You will find a lot of Zion guitars have the JB in the bridge (just like this white one seen here). The Alnico II Pro single coil pickups blend well with the JB. A lot depends on what type of sound you are looking to get - vintage strat, modern, or higher output rock & roll. I have had several guitars (3 Zions) that had the Alnico_II Pro pickups (I have had both flat and staggered - just depends on your preference) and have been very happy with an overall vintage strat sound. Check out the soundclips on the Duncan site for strat style guitars.

Best of luck to you, Rick!

7. guitardude5

Ken, I saw this picture on your myspace page. Over to the right just above Phil...
    [​IMG]

8. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

Right you are guitardude! Thank youi!!

9. kevmo777

kevmo777 Member

Ken

Can you tell me a little about the TLZ model? I've only seen one picture of one. How many were made?

Also, what model of guitar was the "Silverbird"? I always heard it was a powerglide, but pics I saw it looks like a turbo or radicaster.

Thanks for any history and specs on them old models. They intrest me alot.

Kevin

10. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

TLZ stands for TELEZION. It was the prototype/predecessor to the Powerglide. Kerry Livgren of Kansas, AD & Protokaw(before Kansas) bought one in the early 80's and still has it today. Refer to kevmo777 above & image below for Powerglides. BTW We intend to rerelease it, so if you have one, hang onto it as it will become an original.
    The Silverbird on the other hand was a custom strat(see images below) It had a built in neck & inlaid pickguard and a one-of-a-kind paint job. It was featured on the cover of Guitar Player magazine in July 1983.
    As far as TLZs, there were a handful made. There were 300-400 Powerglides made. *PROUD TO BE #150 AS FAR AS POSTS*

[​IMG]

Here's an old shot of Phil Keaggy (with hair) playing a Powerglide.

[​IMG]

11. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

Just got this yesterday, looks pretty cool! Check it out!!http://www.tremol-no.com/

12. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

Phil today.

[​IMG]

13. Baggins

Baggins Member

They do fixed bridges. In fact, Dennis at Adirondack guitar has a set-neck fixed bridge that looks great. www.adirondackguitar.com (that's where I got my frosted marble) :JAM Perhaps you'll get some ideas from that one.
    Chris

14. LTE

LTE Member

Just saw Phil on a Christian TV show (forget the name) playing acoustic. Never seen or heard him play before. Very nice.

15. guitardude5

Check out Ken's myspace page, he has some Keaggy clips there. There are also some more to be found over on You_Tube

This one is one of my favorite Keaggy tunes County_Down

EDIT: I should also post this one here with Phil and his white Zion. After all, this is a Zion thread - Crossroads. Thanks, Ken, for the link.

Also, here is another tune with some GREAT playing March_of_the_Clouds.

16. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Supporting Member

Great thread...a great friend of mine who happens to be an amazing player, Brett Funk (www.brettfunk.com) plays 3 Classic Maple's and swears by Zion Guitars. As a result, I must own a Classic Maple one day...time to start saving my pennies!

17. funky

funky Member

My babies. Zions are the best guitars I've ever played, and the only electrics I play live. Ken Hoover rules!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. nsriley

nsriley Member

Nice guitars Brett!!!! ;)

19. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Didnt need to see that last picture Brett. :messedup LOL

20. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

You and me both.