Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > The Gear Page Lounge > The Pub

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My son is going to the "big house"-what to do?

My 36 year old son, who's been in and out of minor trouble since he was 17, has finally run out of luck. His public defender told him today he'll get 2 to 7 years in prison for breaking probation. My son has really done nothing terribly wrong-a lot of driving while barred charges mainly. He's never assulted anyone, robbed anyone, hurt anyone, pulled or used a gun on anyone, sold or dealt with drugs, just a lot of small charges. He lives in central Iowa and will be put in some prison in his district around Ames Iowa. Are prisons like what you see on TV shows? Do I need to worry about his well being or his safety? If anyone can shed some light on this situation I would appreciate it. I know the prison thing might do him some good as far as straitening him out, but isn't a prison term a little extreme? And please-no jokes about picking up the soap in a shower or being someone's bit*h !
Old 02-24-2012, 04:32 PM

I don't know anything about prison but I want to wish you all the best. Hopefully things work out for your son.

b

Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalbored View Post
My 36 year old son, who's been in and out of minor trouble since he was 17, has finally run out of luck. His public defender told him today he'll get 2 to 7 years in prison for breaking probation. My son has really done nothing terribly wrong-a lot of driving while barred charges mainly. He's never assulted anyone, robbed anyone, hurt anyone, pulled or used a gun on anyone, sold or dealt with drugs, just a lot of small charges. He lives in central Iowa and will be put in some prison in his district around Ames Iowa. Are prisons like what you see on TV shows? Do I need to worry about his well being or his safety? If anyone can shed some light on this situation I would appreciate it. I know the prison thing might do him some good as far as straitening him out, but isn't a prison term a little extreme? And please-no jokes about picking up the soap in a shower or being someone's bit*h !
I feel for you, but, no....when your son violated the terms of his probation, he opened himself to having to actually serve out his sentence. This was all explained to him at sentencing. This is what happens to habitual offenders.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalbored View Post
he'll get 2 to 7 years in prison for breaking probation. My son has really done nothing terribly wrong.............

but isn't a prison term a little extreme?
I get a kick out of these responses from people with family that are going to jail. He broke probabtion, but did nothing wrong. OK. Probation was his second chance. The courts gave him probation in hopes he would straighten out. He didn't. He threw it in their faces. Now he's going right where he was told he'd go if he broke probation. He's going right where he belongs. He's a menace to society. Now the taxpayers can pick up his tab for three hots and a cot. Thank you very much.

An no....it's not as bad as it's prtrayed on tv. It's 10X worse.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

should've hired a lawyer.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldinn View Post
I get a kick out of these responses from people with family that are going to jail. He broke probabtion, but did nothing wrong. OK. Probation was his second chance. The courts gave him probation in hopes he would straighten out. He didn't. He threw it in their faces. Now he's going right where he was told he'd go if he broke probation. He's going right where he belongs. He's a menace to society. Now the taxpayers can pick up his tab for three hots and a cot. Thank you very much.

There is an old saying, if you don't have nothing nice to say, don't.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Creature View Post
There is an old saying, if you don't have nothing nice to say, don't.
No shit, some of these responses are pretty fierce. He won't see his son other than for a few minutes behind a window for several years, and all they can do is talk trash.

Quote:
And I have a very good feeling you wouldn't say that to this father in his face if you weren't sitting behind the comfort and safety of your keyboard. I'm not a violent person, but saying that to me would've earned you a black eye.

edit: Ok, it would have made me want to

Last edited by AD_; 02-27-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD_ View Post
And I have a very good feeling you wouldn't say that to this father in his face if you weren't sitting behind the comfort and safety of your keyboard. I'm not a violent person, but saying that to me would've earned you a black eye.

edit: Ok, it would have made me want to
I would have no problem doing so, and have done so in the past.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I would have no problem doing so, and have done so in the past.

Must make you real popular at gatherings. Nothing I like better in a guy than the ability to kick a man when hes down and brag about it.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:

way to kick a guy when he's down.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newking70 View Post
way to kick a guy when he's down.

Yeah. Reality sucks, doesn't it. I'm sick of this 'not my kid' mentality these days. Isn't it wierd? Abide by the laws, stay out of jail. Break the law. Go to jail. This guy is thirty six years old, not some thirteen year old kid that broke a window. He's had his chances. It's time to pay the piper. He's been a boil on the ass of society, and society has decided to lance that boil. Buh' bye
Old 02-24-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Reality sucks, doesn't it. I'm sick of this 'not my kid' mentality these days. Isn't it wierd? Abide by the laws, stay out of jail. Break the law. Go to jail. This guy is thirty six years old, not some thirteen year old kid that broke a window. He's had his chances. It's time to pay the piper. He's been a boil on the ass of society, and society has decided to lance that boil. Buh' bye
Speaking of boil's....
Old 02-24-2012, 05:25 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHAN View Post
Speaking of boil's....
+10000......I fail to see what the 'tough guy' posturing is constructively adding to the topic.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
This guy is thirty six years old, not some thirteen year old kid that broke a window.
I tend to agree with you. At 36 years old, he's old enough to know right from wrong and understand the concept of consequences.

Lest anyone think I'm looking down my nose, two of my immediate family members have been in state prison for more than one year at a stretch. My very first gig, at age 8, was singing in a prison chapel - with one of those immediate family members in the audience.

"Lots of small stuff" is sometimes code for "didn't get caught for big stuff."
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 PM
not available for comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Johnson View Post

"Lots of small stuff" is sometimes code for "didn't get caught for big stuff."
The way I read between the OP's lines it sounds like the "kid" has chemical/alcohol dependency issues & probably stacked up possession & DWI's that led to license revocations that he ignored