Become a Supporting Member

Go Back   The Gear Page > Instruments > Luthier's Corner: Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion

Notices

Old 02-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Teye mood knob

Neophyte to the guitar world ,
have a questions for those that know , was very impressed with versatillity of a teye guitar , it had a pot labelled as mood along with the tone and volume. it seemed that the mood knob could alter the pickup sound completeley , checked the Teye website , didn,t really explain what the pot is , just what it does. ,
any guesses what the mystery is

thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 AM

i would email the maker and ask. w/o a schemo or any earthly knowledge of this luthier, or hearing the effect, it's very hard to say. based on what you wrote, my very best, most specific guess is, "a filter" (which in audio electronics is almost as general as "a thing")
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM

i think it's a high-pass filter (bass roll-off). Cool knob to have (have it in my own guitar)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 PM

Thanks guys
builder is very guarded with what knob is apparently it is black boxed in the guitar.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Supporting Member

Had a Teye La India S for a while and the mood knob acted like the bass contour knob on a Reverend...sounded like going from humbuckers to a single coil tone...
Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 AM

If you want to try a bass-contour / high-pass filter knob take a look here:

http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/...-bass-cut.html

It's a really good post from a forum for heavy-players. The knob is a big improvement when playing with a lot of gain or with 7/8 strings. i takes the mud out. He posted a lot of graphs with frequency curves. Very nice and understandable post, where he show´s how different pot values impact frequency-cutoff´s.

I use it in my as-83. It´s cool, because you can get that nice bassy jazz tone, but when playing with gain you can take the woofy-ness out of it.

I use 1M pots. most of the bass-roll off is at the start and the end of pot travel, and the middle is more for fine tuning. My master volume works the same way – I just prefer it that way.

EDIT: one thing to remember though – when you roll off bass frequency´s you loss a bit of volume, because much of the punch is that bass. Works pretty good with a germanium boost though. Takes the edge of the grid.

If you want to know more about my experience with that knob, just ask
Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 AM

from the description it is almost certainly an LCR network. same thing as a varitone with a fixed cap value. same thing as Wilde Bill Lawrence Q-filter, which you can buy on his web site. same thing used in a billion electronic products. also you can buy a book called Guitar Electronics for Musicians by Donald Brosnac that explains this circuit in a way guitar players can understand, and explains the easy algebraic formula, and shows a couple variations on the schematic, AND shows a picture of one wired up.

gooping is a badge of shame. beware the haughty claims of those who goop

though to be fair the L in LCR is an inductor - a delicate coil like a pickup, so there is a legit reason to goop that item. and i don't have any direct exposure to this "guardedness" so maybe that is exaggerated.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 AM

Thanks for all the info, makes me wonder why you do not see them on more guitars
Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 PM

not traditional
Why do we still play with strings... same reason
Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 AM

Do you get some additional hum when the mood pot is turned down (I think I may have read this somewhere)? If so I think it may essentially be a variable coil tap, perhaps with a capacitor also in the circuit, with components carefully selected for the most usable range of control.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 AM

No extra Hum.

I use 1M pots (all pots are 1M) for the most bass-cut possible. Because of the taper of 1M pots, I get a lot of roll-off between 10 and 8, fine tuning down to 1, and a bigger jump again to 0 (it’s wired so that 10 is by-passed, and 0 is full on, like the tone-pot). My Volume knob and tone knobs work the same way.

I like it that way, you may not.

Can’t comment on the coil-tap thing. Never got a chance here in Denmark to hold a Teye!

But in my opinion the humbucker gets a more single-coil like sound with some bass rolled off. It’s not thin, but the mids are much clearer.